Author Topic: Where are you from? Introduce yourself!  (Read 690769 times)

Offline LOMILETA

• Global Moderator
  • Adv. Member
Re: Where are you from? Introduce yourself!
« Reply #1080 on: December 07, 2007, 09:12:09 AM »
Welcome to the few I've missed.
1978 TA-462 ci Buick (just sold)
1980 Turbo Formula
1995 Grand Prix
2002 TA convertible

Offline basil_spinone

« Reply #1081 on: December 07, 2007, 10:03:47 AM »
Thanks for the welcome guys

Sir English - I'll be getting in touch - I think I'm gonna need all the help and advice I can get getting my car roadworthy

Offline Joker (§ir£Ğragon)

• Lifetime Member
  • When you think it can't get any worse...God laughs
« Reply #1082 on: December 07, 2007, 10:07:00 AM »
Ill say this before the others chime in ......... ant pics?  ;) ;D

Don't know whay you wanted an "ant pic" but here ya go.

Now you can have new grafix made for your "Trans Ant".

;D :P
Larry

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #1083 on: December 07, 2007, 10:34:24 AM »
Another UK member?...welcome Basil!  ;D
Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am
1986 Corvette

Offline basil_spinone

« Reply #1084 on: December 07, 2007, 11:14:03 AM »
Woooo Hooo!!

Well, I checked the cowl tag and there's nothing on there denoting WS6. And although the engine block does have X7 imprinted on there and the headers are 6x ones. I still wasn't sure.

So after scouring the internet and doing a bit more reading I decided to check a few other things on the car. All of which checked out as a WS6. So I decided to take the plunge and fork out the cash for the PHS fax back service. And there it is in black and white - WS6 - Trans Am Special Performance Package !!!!

I'm well happy as I thought I had a bog standard no frills TA. This has really given me the kick up the butt that I needed to crack on and get the car in some kind of shape. with a lot of luck I may even be on the road next summer (more likely the year after though )

[attachment removed by admin over 60 days old]

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #1085 on: December 07, 2007, 12:04:27 PM »
Glad your PHS gave you some good news... ;D
Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am
1986 Corvette

Offline Joker (§ir£Ğragon)

• Lifetime Member
  • When you think it can't get any worse...God laughs
« Reply #1086 on: December 07, 2007, 12:26:12 PM »
Woooo Hooo!!

Well, I checked the cowl tag and there's nothing on there denoting WS6. And although the engine block does have X7 imprinted on there and the headers are 6x ones. I still wasn't sure.

So after scouring the internet and doing a bit more reading I decided to check a few other things on the car. All of which checked out as a WS6. So I decided to take the plunge and fork out the cash for the PHS fax back service. And there it is in black and white - WS6 - Trans Am Special Performance Package !!!!

I'm well happy as I thought I had a bog standard no frills TA. This has really given me the kick up the butt that I needed to crack on and get the car in some kind of shape. with a lot of luck I may even be on the road next summer (more likely the year after though )

You may already know this since you've been doing research, but the WS6 package has nothing to do with the engine. That's one of those "Trans Am Myths". It's a suspension package which includes the 15x8" Snowflakes. The X7 on your engine however does indicate that you probably have the higher powered W72 rather than the L78 Pontiac 400. That should also be indicated on the PHS documents.
Larry

Offline basil_spinone

« Reply #1087 on: December 07, 2007, 02:35:19 PM »
Pre Feb 22nd 1978 the WS6 package included the W72 engine. It was only after this date that they could be officially ordered seperately (see page 6 of this article http://www.78ta.com/HTMLobj-16215/W72TECH06.pdf). Luckily my car was ordered/produced just before that date :D

what really threw me was that my car has rear drum brakes. I always thought the ws6 cars had discs all round

Offline basil_spinone

« Reply #1088 on: December 07, 2007, 02:35:52 PM »
but they only introduced discs to the ws6 in 79

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #1089 on: December 07, 2007, 02:36:47 PM »
You answered you own question ;)
Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am
1986 Corvette

Offline w72transamowner

• Tidewater Trans Am Club (www.ttac.net)
« Reply #1090 on: December 07, 2007, 02:45:45 PM »
Hi All

Thought I'd introduce myself. My name is Andrew and I live in the UK. I got my TA a couple of months ago and am I slowly learning about the car as I attempt to restore it to its former glory.

Its a 78 400 auto that was originaly chesterfield brown (its now red)

Having just read this excellent article http://www.78ta.com/HTMLobj-16215/W72TECH06.pdf I now think I have a W72 (matching numbers - chassis/engine - not checked the other parts yet) car. But i'm not sure if it has the WS6 package too.

According to the article, it was after 22nd Feb 78 that the W72 and WS6 were able to be ordered seperately. Having deciphered the cowl plate, I know the car was manufactured in 3rd week of Feb 78. So i'm hoping that it may also have the WS6 (but the cowl plate doesn't say ws6). I guess the only way i'll know for sure is to get the PHS documentation.

Hi there Andrew and congratulations on your find.  So what's your story; how long have you been in to Trans Ams and how did you get your's over to England.  Where in England do you live?  I spent a couple of years in the Ipswich/Felixstowe area many, many years ago.

Again, welcome.

Bobby
1978 Trans Am WS6/W72, Auto (purchased Sep 00)

http://www.motortopia.com/garage/cars/carfanatic1

Offline w72transamowner

• Tidewater Trans Am Club (www.ttac.net)
« Reply #1091 on: December 07, 2007, 02:50:05 PM »
lexington,Ky Phillip,my third 2cd gen TA.Now on a 1980 SE turbo with 1970 400.Working on all new interior,and now have shaker hood.Trying to fab shaker to a holley carb.

Hi Phillip and welcome to the TA community.  What were the previous Trans Ams in your past?  The 80 SE was a really nice looking car, is yours still in good shape?    Bobby
1978 Trans Am WS6/W72, Auto (purchased Sep 00)

http://www.motortopia.com/garage/cars/carfanatic1

Offline basil_spinone

« Reply #1092 on: December 07, 2007, 06:13:07 PM »
Hi Bobby

I live in Halifax in Yorkshire (God's county so they say ;) )

I've always been into Trans Ams - well, since I was a kid. I remember staying at my Grandparent's house and being allowed to stay up late and watch SATB and Hooper and the likes as a special treat. Then of course, there was Knightrider!!!

Just recently, my wonderful other half managed to talk me into letting her get another horse (she has 4). I was going to get myself a new car (V8 - always wanted one) but Suzanne managed to make me see sense (economically speaking). At the equivalent of over $9.50 a gallon over here, its not really that viable to have a big thirsty engine as a daily car unless you are "minted" (especially when I just sit in traffic jams going to and from work most days). So I ended up buying the same car but with a diesel engine (and somehow Suzanne ended up with that too!?!?!?!!). As a consolation prize ;) , we agreed that I would buy myself a classic car to play with (Suzanne thought I was going to get something small like an old english MG B roadster). Little did she realise that as soon as she said the words "classic car" my brain went into over drive so to speak and I had thoughts of the many classic American V8's that I had grown up watching on TV. Mustang? Camaro? El CAmino? Charger? GTO? Cadillac???? and others all went through my mind. But somehow none of them seemed fit the bill (or me). A couple of months went by and I was still withoutt my calssic. By this time, I had joined the UK American Car Club. The club magazine was running a series of articles on the Firebird and then it hit me!!! The next article was about the 2nd Gen Trans AM. That was it!! That was the car for me! It was like being 7 and wanting to have the coolest car you have ever seen (only this time I had a bit of cash to buy one).
So after a bit of seraching and joining the UK Pontiac Owners Club, I finally found my car. She was owned by another club member who had to sell, to make room for his 455 bullnose resto. Originally Chesterfield Brown, then white and now red. I have begun the process of a full strip and rebuild. She's had a few dodgy repairs over the years and I would like to put her back to the best I can before I put her back on the road. I am a complete novice when it comes to automotive engineering, but I'm slowly getting there :)

You know what one of the best things is? When friends come round and Suzanne says "Have you seend Andrew's 'Rust Bucket' in the Garage?", then they give a blank look and say no! So you take them to see it. And even though the car is in pieces, every reaction so far has been the same - "Whoa!...............that's the coolest damn car I've ever seen!"
And you know what? They're probably right. The 2nd gen TA is quite possibly the coolest car ever made (for me anyway).

Offline Sir english firebird

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Adv. Member
  • Ohio Firebirds Member. proud to be
« Reply #1093 on: December 07, 2007, 08:25:18 PM »
basil_spinone, just give me a pm if you want, Oh and Sir L THANKS FOR THE ANT BIT!! lol i must have been half asleep when i wrote that and i didnt even notice!!! lol Just you wait till the nats!!!
Power is nothing without Control.

Steve, :-)
1979 Trans am.

( no point in adding what else i keep changing them ! )

Offline 784mula

• Ohio Firebirds
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/784MULA
« Reply #1094 on: December 07, 2007, 09:21:42 PM »
Thanks for the welcome everyone!! I hope I can find this Firehawk! If I can convince the owner to sell it, that would make a nice wedding gift! haha

Welcome Melly,

Nice 2000 Formula!

1978 FORMULA 1st place 2007 TA NATS Stk Class
1977 FORMULA (Gone but not forgotten)