Author Topic: 1979 T/A- Son's project car- Update and question  (Read 5552 times)

Offline Doug Garland

1979 T/A- Son's project car- Update and question
« on: July 08, 2011, 05:56:50 PM »
I know, I know, where are the pics?  Anyway, I got the car to crank, and run, but someone had ran the battery cable down through the headers, and it burnt in to and grounded out. The fuel tank was rusty, and pumped rust into the carb. I have a friend with a show car, and he gave me 2 brand new tanks he had in his rafters, to clear out his shop. I have one ready to go back in the car, along with a new battery cable. I also sent the seats over to an upholstery shop friend of mine, and he had the new covers installed, new top padding for every seat, and reassembled in 3 days. My dilemma is: what is the correct or close to correct SEM color to carmine red? The seats are 1980 Carmine Hobnail, and I will have to re-dye the interior trim, where it has faded, and some parts are from a different car, and a different color. Thanks in advance  Doug  

Here are some pics: http://s1191.photobucket.com/albums/z470/pdgarland/
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 11:14:56 PM by Doug Garland »

Offline Doug Garland

Re: 1979 T/A- Son's project car- Update and question
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 08:25:14 PM »
Did a little more today. Installed one of the new fuel tanks I was given, and hooked up all the lines. My son also want to change the color to silver, instead of the original black. Included in all the parts we got is a slick set of '81 Firebird red tail lights, so we pulled the one set of black T/A lights, and placed the all red ones in their place. He liked the change almost immediately. His plan is Silver exterior, red hobnail interior, with the '79 red/orange decal kit, Firebird taillights, a set of Rally II wheels, and red PMD center caps. 

Offline CT Bird Fan

• Dave
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 07:32:04 AM »
Doug, just to let you know, the base Firebird/Esprit tail light (red) and Trans Am/Formula tail light (smoked) housings are different.

The Trans Am/Formula tail lights have one more bulb in them than the base ones do. You can probably just leave the bulb out of the spare socket and be okay with your current harness.

When I did this swap in reverse (base to T/A tail lights) I had to get a T/A wiring harness because mine did not have enough bulbs.
Gone but not forgotten - 1979 Formula, 1980 Esprit.

Being birdless sucks!

Offline 4speed76

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 09:48:24 AM »
Welcome to the site Doug, nice looking project.  There is a whole relm of people that are willing to help if you or your son have any questions.  Don't be afraid to ask.
1976 T/A project
2009 Honda CRV
2001 Honda Civic

Offline Doug Garland

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 05:52:28 PM »
Yes Dave, I noticed the extra bulbs. It looked like I can remove the lenses, and install them on the T/A housings, and use all the bulbs in the original harness. I also just got back in from a 2 week trip to  Florida, and picked up a new carpet set, headliner, door panels, package tray, rear panel cover, and also some heat barrier to go under everything. Working on items one at a time are allowing us to get things knocked out, and not becoming complacent, and have the boys lose interest. When I got home this evening, with all the parts, they both were as excited as Christmas day. My computer actually got struck by lightning last week, and the wife just got it back. I hope I can find all my links, and passwords to the project picture page. 

Offline Doug Garland

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 06:09:58 PM »
http://s1191.photobucket.com/albums/z470/pdgarland/ 
new photos

Got the interior out, and now have sealed the floors(which were amazing, and only had a little surface rust). What is the deal with all the factory undercoating/seam sealer? They went crazy with the stuff in his car. Did they do that on everyone's cars? Just curious.

Offline N PRGRES

• Adv. Member
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2011, 07:21:11 AM »
new photos

Got the interior out, and now have sealed the floors(which were amazing, and only had a little surface rust). What is the deal with all the factory undercoating/seam sealer? They went crazy with the stuff in his car. Did they do that on everyone's cars? Just curious.
new photos

I think they got paid by the gallons of sealand used.  When they installed my windshield wiper motor they had it all over the place but hey at least no fumes got in lol
Dave
_______
1981 Trans Am - Refresh in progress

Offline Doug Garland

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2011, 05:36:24 PM »
Got a coat of undercoating put down on the floors, and replaced the battery cable that runs to the starter. I hate headers! On a Chevelle, that is an hour long job, but not a T/A. Had to pull the starter, drop the header, and then fight and wrestle with the thing. Then the nut wouldn't start, so I had to run and grab a couple off some spare starters I had, across town. I got everything back together finally, and made the boys lay under the car, and hook up the collector, and exhaust pipe. If I had a set of manifolds for a 403, they would be going back on this thing. Maybe I can find a set off a Toronado, without the crossover pipe. I hate headers!
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 06:04:30 PM by Doug Garland »

Offline Grand73Am

• Adv. Member
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2011, 07:30:37 PM »
If you care to buy new ones, here are some ready to go, setup for 2-1/4, and true duals: http://gawain.membrane.com/~thornton/350jr_exhaust_manifolds.html
Steve F.

Offline Doug Garland

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2011, 11:25:29 AM »
Got some new header gaskets, and installed them. Man I hate headers. Also installed the new battery, and got the car fired up. It does have a cracked intake, so I am going to look for a used Performer 3711 to go on it. I have the cast iron one, but it is 60lbs. Also checked the transmission, and it was low of fluid. We added 2 quarts. and it took gear, and moves. The paint and body guy has been by a couple of times, and should be ready for it in Oct. to start work. Slowly but surely it is coming together. 

Offline Doug Garland

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2012, 06:52:44 PM »
Ended up buying a complete 403 with a factory aluminum intake on it, to try and swap them out. We pulled that intake off, and then the  one on the car, and there was water everywhere. I ended up pulling the engine, and transmission, and the block had blew the freeze plugs. It had froze when it was at the previous owner's house. I carried the transmission and had it built, and tore down both engines to see about freshening them up. The one I bought was almost as bad as the one in the car, so we were disappointed. This was started as a budget build, so we made a decision to use a Chevy 350-300hp. block I had, and freshen it up. The transmission is built and ready, and the shop is building the engine now. I know the purists will frown up on it, but the car is far from original, and my son helped decide on it, since it's his car. I added a few pics of the transmission on the photo bucket page.

Offline Doug Garland

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2012, 06:53:52 PM »
Oh, and the black car is the new color scheme he wants to go with now. He had a change of heart about the silver color.

Offline Grand73Am

• Adv. Member
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2012, 07:16:45 PM »
Too bad about the 403's. I see you have a rebuilt Chevy th350 to go with your Chevy engine. I was afraid when you said you had your 403 trans rebuilt, that's all you had. 
Steve F.

Offline NWW-79 T/A

• Adv. Member
  • 16 Year Old T/A Owner
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2012, 07:17:51 PM »
Those color choices will be nice. Will definitely watch this unfold
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 07:19:32 PM by NWW-79 T/A »
Romney/Ryan 2012

-1979 Solar Gold Trans Am in Restoration-

Offline NWW-79 T/A

• Adv. Member
  • 16 Year Old T/A Owner
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2012, 07:31:21 PM »
The silver would look better IMO, but nice either way :)
Romney/Ryan 2012

-1979 Solar Gold Trans Am in Restoration-