Author Topic: Mystery Power Draw?  (Read 2905 times)

Offline TAKID455

Re: Mystery Power Draw?
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2009, 11:37:02 PM »
easy way to find out if the alt or starter are drawing current is to see if they are warm prior to staring the vehicle. If you live in a warm climate, park the car overnight in a garage or shaded area and test them in the morning before it gets to warm. Here in NJ, we are not sure what the sun looks like anymore thus dont have the heat issue. also check the rear def wires in the window and cig lighter as they can act up. glove box or trunk light staying on?
2nd Gen Engineering
Specializing in Suspension and Driveline Performance Engineering
Custom/ Racing/ Restorations

Offline stimpy

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2009, 04:26:27 AM »
I worked on cars where the switch was out of adjustment on the column allowing the contacts to make a slight powe feed , but also I had alot of the cheap alternators have bad bridges or regulators  in them ( they will still put out a full load but not a full wave ) , pulling  the wires  on the alternator overnight  is a quick  cheap check for that .also charge the battery up to a full load before testing everything , you should run the motor above 1000 rpm over 10 minutes to fully charge a battery after starting ( at idle it will cut out charging as the speed is not fast enough at times ) 

Offline JT_Y88

• Y88
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2009, 12:45:46 PM »
searched this mystery draw for 3 weeks, can't figure it out, it seems to happen intermediatally.  I think I fixed the issue.  Put a battery disconnect switch on the bird.... :-X
"a wise man once said...Drive A TRANS AM"

Offline TAKID455

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2009, 10:11:37 PM »
Fixed

...  I think I put a bandaid on the issue.  Put a battery disconnect switch on the bird.... :-X

You still the issue.

2nd Gen Engineering
Specializing in Suspension and Driveline Performance Engineering
Custom/ Racing/ Restorations

Offline brian c

• Lifetime Member
  • Ohio Firebirds Member
    • Y88 Resto
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2009, 07:50:51 AM »
searched this mystery draw for 3 weeks, can't figure it out, it seems to happen intermediatally.  I think I fixed the issue.  Put a battery disconnect switch on the bird.... :-X

More of a bandaid than an actual fix but it'll do until you can track it down. Give it a little time and then go back to searching for it - no need to get frustrated on this part.

1978 Y88, '70 455 HO block bored 0.060, TH350, 3.42:1 gears...Oct '08 Fbodywarehouse Calendar - Woot!
1980 Firebird - no engine/tranny... to be pacecar clone

Offline BusDriver

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2009, 02:27:22 PM »
Yeah, it's a minor (if irritatingly difficult to lock down) problem.

Just use the disconnect for now and work on it when you have the chance. Eventually you'll find it.