Author Topic: Steering Column Help  (Read 2987 times)

Offline Kevin

• Adv. Member
  • Kevin
    • www.78ta.com
Re: Steering Column Help
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2011, 08:49:28 PM »
Are you depressing the lock plate correctly?  It needs to go past that groove.  Or, the ring is not correct.

Yeah it's going back far enough for sure.. The Ring just won't hold the lock plate back when I back the depressor off.
1978 Pontiac Firebird Formula

Offline Amtrak

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2011, 09:15:32 PM »
if you assemble without the spring  does the snap ring seem like its going down into the groove in the steering shaft and the recess in  the lock plate cover okay

Offline Kevin

• Adv. Member
  • Kevin
    • www.78ta.com
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2011, 11:49:49 PM »
Haven't tried it, but I'm sure there's a reason for it being there, so I'd like to keep it where it belongs. What drives me nuts is that I got the right part number and everything from a GM parts place.. I just don't get it.

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2011, 07:47:04 AM »
You need that spring.  I think he was saying to take the spring out for a test. 

Where did you get that part number?  From what I can determine, the correct part number is 580074.

Also, make sure you've got the race installed in the correct position...it's counterintuitive.  Check the manual to make sure you installed it the correct way.

Do you have a tilt or standard column?

Offline Amtrak

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2011, 10:41:06 AM »
yes try it with out the spring just to check for fitment ...  then install all the parts later if the fit looks right

Offline Kevin

• Adv. Member
  • Kevin
    • www.78ta.com
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2011, 12:38:18 PM »
Tilt, and I found this on a Yenko forum.

"You're talking about a very common inexpensive part,used from 1967 all the way up to today on nearly every single GM vehicle.
Contact any GM Parts dealer.Ask for part #5694191..later superseded by #580074.Either one will work.
It's a small wire C-Clip that a Hardware store most likely would have as well."

The inner race and seat are in there tight also.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 12:43:03 PM by Kevin »

Offline Kevin

• Adv. Member
  • Kevin
    • www.78ta.com
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2011, 05:21:04 PM »
Any Suggestions guys?? Still can't drive it, and I'm not sure what else I can do..

Offline mrpontiac80

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2011, 05:38:57 PM »
Kevin, I just went through this same process on my 98 TA a couple of weeks ago. Those snap rings are much easier to install and remove if you use the proper snap ring pliers.  I bought mine from harber freight for something like 5 bucks with 4 size adapters for differant size snap rings.

When reinstalling mine, it took a few tries cause although it may seem that the snap ring is catching the groove it sits in, it may be close but not actually in the groove. Also, if your not using the proper snap ring pliers, its possible that the ring could be spread too far apart to "snap" into place. If thats the case, just bend it tight again.  Check to ensure that the ring is sitting in the groove all the way around too. If you have the ends in place but one piece is not fully seated, it can just pop out with pressure.

Good luck bud.

Michael Russell

Offline Kevin

• Adv. Member
  • Kevin
    • www.78ta.com
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2011, 02:32:21 AM »
Kevin, I just went through this same process on my 98 TA a couple of weeks ago. Those snap rings are much easier to install and remove if you use the proper snap ring pliers.  I bought mine from harber freight for something like 5 bucks with 4 size adapters for differant size snap rings.

When reinstalling mine, it took a few tries cause although it may seem that the snap ring is catching the groove it sits in, it may be close but not actually in the groove. Also, if your not using the proper snap ring pliers, its possible that the ring could be spread too far apart to "snap" into place. If thats the case, just bend it tight again.  Check to ensure that the ring is sitting in the groove all the way around too. If you have the ends in place but one piece is not fully seated, it can just pop out with pressure.

Good luck bud.

Ok, I'll give it another try soon. I might give you a call over this one heh