Author Topic: I just had to laugh at this one  (Read 3684 times)

Offline Jonnyscotti

• Proud to be me.
I just had to laugh at this one
« on: October 31, 2007, 03:25:30 PM »
I'm sure you'll get a laugh too. You have to wonder if the car was wrecked in the front at one time and then put the turbo hood on there ::) Oh and the guy doesn't know how to take quality pictures. I dont' know about you but that is one of my huge pet peeves. :-\ ::) End Rant. Hahaha ;D

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1979-Trans-Am-Limited-Edition_W0QQitemZ320176570045QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item320176570045

Poor poor 10th Anniversary car.  :(
The small things aren't worth getting
angry about, my daughter taught me that.
R.I.P. Sierra Louise May 1, 2005 - July 21, 2005

Offline brian c

• Lifetime Member
  • Ohio Firebirds Member
    • Y88 Resto
Re: I just had to laugh at this one
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 07:08:51 PM »
I dunno - I like it. Reminds me of the corvettes that were painted that way.

I've yet to appreciate the turbo hood, I'm more of a shaker guy, but it seems to fit the car theme well.

1978 Y88, '70 455 HO block bored 0.060, TH350, 3.42:1 gears...Oct '08 Fbodywarehouse Calendar - Woot!
1980 Firebird - no engine/tranny... to be pacecar clone

Offline tamatt79

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007, 07:29:04 PM »
Is this a joke, it advertises in 1 spot as being a manual 79 with a 403. Never made then it has an 80-81 hood, and then it has a 10th ann interior minus the recaro style seats, but the vin does say it is a 10th ann built in van nuys. and it has wheels from a late 80's ta or something. 44,000 original miles seems a little questionable with all these changes and only second owner. He may be relaying what he was told, but i feel someone is not telling the whole truth here. May still be worth buying if you knew you find the original stuff resonably. (MAYBE)

Offline Tinman5

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2007, 07:36:06 PM »
Matt--

Interesting...that's the second 79-81 Trans Am I've seen painted in that manner...

The first belonged to a guy by the name of Ron Ruggerio (now deceased) who I recall had very strong connections within GM.  He wanted a new Corvette in '78, but his connections convinced him to go with a Trans Am.  He ordered it new (it was a 1979, I think a four-speed) as a silver car (not a tenth anniversary) and had the black paint laid down by the dealer to replicate the Corvette paint scheme.  He had a ton of documentation on the car showing exactly what was done and where.  It had a red hobnail interior with low mileage and was in very good shape the last time I saw it.  His son sold the car several years ago for about $16K.

It was really well executed and, although not my cuppa tea, it kinda grew on you after a while.  Still miss seeing it at the local events.

Tinman5

"If you don't make dust, you eat dust."

1939 Silver Streak (street rod)
1973 Trans Am
1974 Grand Am
1976 Trans Am (50th Anniversary, 400ci/350 auto)
1979 Trans Am (10th Anniversary, 400ci/four speed)

Offline tamatt79

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2007, 07:41:32 PM »
Matt--

Interesting...that's the second 79-81 Trans Am I've seen painted in that manner...

The first belonged to a guy by the name of Ron Ruggerio (now deceased) who I recall had very strong connections within GM.  He wanted a new Corvette in '78, but his connections convinced him to go with a Trans Am.  He ordered it new (it was a 1979, I think a four-speed) as a silver car (not a tenth anniversary) and had the black paint laid down by the dealer to replicate the Corvette paint scheme.  He had a ton of documentation on the car showing exactly what was done and where.  It had a red hobnail interior with low mileage and was in very good shape the last time I saw it.  His son sold the car several years ago for about $16K.

It was really well executed and, although not my cuppa tea, it kinda grew on you after a while.  Still miss seeing it at the local events.

Tinman5

Tinman'

Cool, it would be nice to have a car like that with documentation. I like the 2-tone but this car is to rare and valuable to do this kind of thing to. But as with anything, To each his own!!! Differences in people and their thoughts is what makes the world go around... Just makes us laugh sometime.  8)

Mattp

Offline Rick

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2007, 09:43:27 PM »

It sounds like it was well done.  Nothing wrong with somebody who takes something and makes it his own and does a good job on it! :) :) ;)

Offline Tinman5

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2007, 10:13:03 PM »

It sounds like it was well done.  Nothing wrong with somebody who takes something and makes it his own and does a good job on it! :) :) ;)

Rick--

I certainly can't argue with that...of my five Pontiacs, one is bone stock, two are close to stock, and two are modified.  Every once in a while I get approached by a well-meaning but anal purist at a car event that gripes about the paint on the motor not being the right shade (really happened), the plug wires not being date coded, or why I left the trim rings off the '73 (answer:  I couldn't bear to scratch the freshly painted wheels and I thought it looked better a la the early second gen T/A).  On the flip side, I sometimes scratch my head and wonder why in the world someone would want to do what they did to their car (particularly if it is really rare)--but then I have to remind myself, it's their name on the title, not mine.

All that said, I have to side with Jonnyscotti and Matt regarding the eBay listing...too many inconsistencies with the way the car is presented and it is laughable.  I hope it's more ignorance than an attempt to represent the car for something it isn't.  THAT gets me going...

Tinman

1973 Trans Am
1974 Grand Am

Offline Rick

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2007, 10:17:45 PM »
...or why I left the trim rings off the '73 (answer:  I couldn't bear to scratch the freshly painted wheels and I thought it looked better a la the early second gen T/A). 

That's interesting, because I'm wrestling with that myself right now.  I have a set of Rally IIs I'm putting back on my 75 (it had a set of gen 3 cast wheels that look far better on Leon's car than a gen 2 -- long story, don't ask) and I think I've reached that conclusion myself. :-\

All that said, I have to side with Jonnyscotti and Matt regarding the eBay listing...too many inconsistencies with the way the car is presented and it is laughable.  I hope it's more ignorance than an attempt to represent the car for something it isn't.  THAT gets me going...

Yeah, you can always find a goober on eBay... ::) ::)

Offline Tinman5

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2007, 10:48:34 PM »
That's interesting, because I'm wrestling with that myself right now.  I have a set of Rally IIs I'm putting back on my 75 (it had a set of gen 3 cast wheels that look far better on Leon's car than a gen 2 -- long story, don't ask) and I think I've reached that conclusion myself.

Rick--

If it's of any help, here's a picture of several of my cars with the best one I could find showing one of the wheels on the '73 sans trim ring:

Food for thought...

Tinman5

1973 Trans Am
1974 Grand Am

Offline Joker (§ir£Ğragon)

• Lifetime Member
  • When you think it can't get any worse...God laughs
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2007, 01:29:57 AM »
I think the area where it says it's a manual was just a mistake. In his typed out description he says it's a 403 auto and the interior shot shows that is accurate. The part that I wonder about is if it has so few miles and was always stored inside why is the paint light in spots? The nose is really off color compared to the fenders.
Larry

Offline imaloser

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2007, 09:24:50 PM »
That's interesting, because I'm wrestling with that myself right now.  I have a set of Rally IIs I'm putting back on my 75 (it had a set of gen 3 cast wheels that look far better on Leon's car than a gen 2 -- long story, don't ask) and I think I've reached that conclusion myself.

Rick--

If it's of any help, here's a picture of several of my cars with the best one I could find showing one of the wheels on the '73 sans trim ring:

Food for thought...

Tinman5

SHOW OFF!!!!  :P

Offline Tinman5

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2007, 09:53:54 PM »
CC--

Hee, hee!

Got one problem, though.  I haven't figured out how to drive more than one at a time.

Tinman5

1973 Trans Am
1974 Grand Am

Offline rkellerjr

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2007, 09:57:12 PM »
Wow Tinman5, nice "flock".  I'm having problems with just one of those beasts.
Rich

Offline w72transamowner

• Tidewater Trans Am Club (www.ttac.net)
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2007, 08:11:54 PM »
Matt--

Tinman5

I think I've seen the black and silver 79 T/A you're talking about in a magazine and not all that long ago.  Don't believe I could find it any time soon but almost sure I've seen that car covered somewhere.  If it's not that car, than it's one quite similiar.
1978 Trans Am WS6/W72, Auto (purchased Sep 00)

http://www.motortopia.com/garage/cars/carfanatic1