Author Topic: Removing rear seats?  (Read 2990 times)

Offline kyledyr

• 1981 Trans Am - HydroCarbon powered Eco-Vehicle
Removing rear seats?
« on: August 13, 2006, 05:48:11 PM »
Could anyone explain the process in removing the rear seats?  I'm trying to install some rear speakers but I don't want to cut into my package tray if I don't have to.  I can't fit the bolts in to mount the speakers, even from the bottom.  Any help would be great. Or maybe some tips on installing rear 6x9's.

PS I should have mentioned, I already have holes for the speakers in the trunk, but the package tray does not have holes. Weird.
"If you want me to be eco-friendly, make eco-friendly not suck."
'81 305 Trans Am WS6

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
Removing rear seats?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2006, 06:10:03 PM »
All the cars have the holes for the 6X9 speakers.  You have to cut out the package tray.  

To get the seats out, you push in on the seat bottom and pull up.  I use my knee to push and lift.  Then there is a bolt on either side of the seat back.  Take those out.  Then slide the rear seat upwards to get it over the tabs.

I had my rear seats out when I installed the two 6X9's in my car.  There is an original cover that fits over them that has bolts long enough so you can attach the speakers.  You mount the speakers from the inside of the trunk.

Offline kyledyr

Removing rear seats?
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2006, 06:41:43 PM »
Is it necessary to cut the package tray?  Any tips on doing that?

Thanks
'81 305 Trans Am WS6

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
Removing rear seats?
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2006, 05:57:01 PM »
Yes, you do have to cut the package tray.  Cut small.  Don't try to cut it to the exact size.  Use the original screen covers too.  That will hide the cut area.

Mark the area from inside the trunk and either take the package tray out (you'll have to remove the seats) and make the cuts with a knive, or drill tiny holes from the bottom up through the package tray and cut from above (the holes serve as a guide).

Do you have that awful backing under the package tray?  If so, you need to mark that and cut it too.  That might have to be done outside the car.  I haven't found an easy way to cut through that stuff.

Offline kyledyr

Removing rear seats?
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2006, 06:20:50 PM »
What backing?

I have the package tray, then some insulation, then the holes in the metal.  I hope I don't! I'll take some pictures when I get back from work.
'81 305 Trans Am WS6

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
Removing rear seats?
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2006, 07:34:57 PM »
The insulation is what I referred to as the "backing"...that stuff's a pain to cut.

Offline TRAN5AM

Removing rear seats?
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2006, 11:12:22 AM »
If you don't want to cut the package tray, you can always put the speakers in enclosures that sit on top of the tray, and hold them in place with velcro.
Steve Frey

"Put your seatbelt on, I want to try something.
I saw it in a cartoon one time, but I think I can do it!"