Author Topic: How do I open the hood?  (Read 2835 times)

Offline Channel

How do I open the hood?
« on: August 16, 2006, 12:12:34 AM »
Hi.
I just bought a 79 Trans AM as a project for my son and I.  It's black on black with the gold bird and decals.  Nice looking with only a couple square inches of rust.  I found what seems to be a hood release handle under the grille.  This one is centered and easy to find.  It's also apparrently stuck.  I got under and followed the cable to the mechanism that releases the hood.  Squeeze and ok.  it popped.  Now the hood is an inch higher than it was but still won't open.  There must be a safety latch somewhere and I can't find it.  I feel stupid.  
Please someone advise me.

P.S.  Can't get the trunk open either.  Key turns but trunk stays tight as a drum.  I pulled pretty hard with the key turned to the right and it didn't budge.  It won't turn to the left.

Send email to pontiac at channels place dot com  
(replacing at with @ and dot with . and eliminating spaces.)

Thanks.
Channel
oh!

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
How do I open the hood?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2006, 09:04:45 AM »
As far as the trunk, we've seen that issue before.  I think it was Rick who suggested taking the back seat out (the rear seat back) and tripping the lock mechanizm with a broom handle or a bunce of socket extenstions put together.  You could also try pushing down on the trunk lid as you turn the key.  Don't force the key.  Once open, you can address the problem with the lock mechanizm.

On the hood release, there is a little lever in the release mechanizm that moves from the drivers side to the passenger side.  That is what's hanging you up.  Sometimes you can pull the release handle again after the first pop and the hood will release.  Try getting your hand under the hood when as you pull the handle and pull the hood up at the same time.  This is a very common problem with these cars.

Offline TRAN5AM

How do I open the hood?
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2006, 12:47:47 PM »
Quote from: "ta78w72"
Try getting your hand under the hood when as you pull the handle and pull the hood up at the same time.

Right. Once the hood is popped, pull the cable again, while pulling up on the hood.

As far as the trunk goes, I would be afraid to force it, but the key turns further that you think it should!
Steve Frey

"Put your seatbelt on, I want to try something.
I saw it in a cartoon one time, but I think I can do it!"

Offline Channel

How do I open the hood?
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2006, 10:11:38 PM »
Wow!  Thanks to both responders.  I'll try a little harder with the trunk.  

The safety latch on the hood released after:
1) Liberal application of WD40 from every possible angle. (no help)
2) Releasing the hood and moving it up and down into the latch and out.
3) Sticking anything thin enough behind and around the latch mechanism, prodding and poking.  (I think this was the thing that helped the most.)
4) Slamming the hood and popping it open countless times (no help)
5) Calling my friend to try it. (he got it on the first try.  I shut the hood for him. the handle is frozen so he reached up inside and popped it.) It released all the way past the safety on the first try.  Ugh.

The latch mechanism was stuffed with bird feathers and parts of nest.  When it popped, there had been too much stuff in the way of it to allow it to move freely far enough to clear the catch on the hood.  I think the prodding and poking along with WD40 to help smash bird parts into a nice paste, along with my friend's uncanny luck, and support from you all, did the trick.  

Now I just have to find homes for these birds.
 :P
oh!

Offline TRAN5AM

How do I open the hood?
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2006, 11:01:25 PM »
We use the terms "hood bird" and "screaming chicken" all the time, but that take the cake!

Steve Frey

"Put your seatbelt on, I want to try something.
I saw it in a cartoon one time, but I think I can do it!"