Author Topic: 79 Coil Spring Replacement Question  (Read 2536 times)

Offline Original79

79 Coil Spring Replacement Question
« on: August 27, 2006, 11:07:43 PM »
With the help from this forum I have just completed the replacement of the rear leaf springs and shocks on my 79 Formula.  Overall, it was not too bad of a job.  However, patience and persistence were requirements.  Now I am ready to move on to the front coil springs.   It seems that most recommend removing the lower ball joint from the knuckle.  However, the Pontiac service manual seems to indicate to remove the lower control arm pivot bolts and lower the lower control arm from the back, so to speak.  I would image the advantage is that it eliminates the need for disconnecting the ball joints.  I'm not sure which is the best way to go about this project and would like to hear from those that have already done this job.  All suggestions all welcome.

Thank You & Happy Motoring.
Joe

Offline 428 78T/A

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2006, 12:03:21 AM »
I recently did my first spring replacement Joe. Compress the spring, loosen the castle nut on the bottom control arm so its flush with the top of the threads of the ball joint, loosen the two large lower control arm bolts, smack the lower control arm castle nut with a large ball peen, unscrew the castle nut  and the spring should drop right out. Now is the perfect time of course to put in new ball joints since youve gone this far and most likely will have to take your lowers to a garage that has a shop press to remove and install them. I ordered all my stuff out of PST. When I compared the old and new springs, the new ones had an extra half coil than that of the old ones. So of course I called them up and asked why, and they said its because I had a big block with air.  I still never figured that one out but the fit and finish went well, even after putting in new poly spring pads in the top control arm. Also, PST has a video of how to do all of this for $20 that was very helpful. It showed how to replace your stock rubber control arm bushing with new etc etc. Hope I helped, and be careful with these things when compressed, itll feel like your carring around a time bomb. Where you from in Western PA?
piccoli : "I can fix it. My dad's a television repair man, he's got an awesome set of tools"

Offline SWAMI

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2006, 08:46:25 AM »
I have a question concerning the shape of the spring plate on the rear leaf springs.  When I took mine off I discovered they were curved slightly between the t-bolt and u-bolt holes.  I ordered new ones but they are having trouble locating them.  I want to go ahead and put the old ones back on since I'm tired of waiting.  Do you think this would be ok?

Thank you for your reply.