Author Topic: coil spring install  (Read 16072 times)

Offline Greenbird76

• The way Grandma wishes she could of ordered it!!
Re: coil spring install
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2012, 09:46:35 AM »
Many places have the rent or buy option.  You pay the rental fee and it is your choice to bring it back.  I kept mine from Advance auto because it was under $40 and in good condition.  If they are ordering you a new one, buy it if it is reasonable and of course, if the store allows it.  And as Joe d stated, pb blaster is good on the nut.  I actually used a little anti seize.  And when you use the tool for the first time, take your time and for me, I was scared of the spring tension winning the battle and taking my head off LOL, so I torqued the nut in stages to check for stability of the contraption.

Offline Andy78TA

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2012, 12:56:53 PM »
that was the issue, nobody had it to rent either, i do the same thing. I was able to find a couple of tools on amazon for cheap so i bought them and did 2nd day air. They should be here (fingers crosse) tomorrow so I will be able to do this over the weekend.
78 T/A pontiac 400- Custom Headers - 2.5 Pypes Violator header back system - Edlebrock Performer Intake - Edelbrock 1413 Carb - Head work - pro comp roller rocker - CVF bracket and pulley kit - Custom system - Recaro T/A interior

Offline joe d

• Adv. Member
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2012, 01:19:55 PM »
it is just a small socket, maybe a local shop will lend you one
1979 ws6 trans am (current project)
2005 mercedes s55
2001 dodge durango
1980 SE trans am (new current project)
1971 Monte Carlo
the 5 p's "perfect planning prevents poor performance"

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2012, 01:32:44 PM »
Another possible option for you, IF you're replacing the shocks anyway:

put a deep-well socket over the shaft and onto the nut...using a long extension, rock back and forth several times and you can snap the shaft off.
Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am
1986 Corvette

Offline joe d

• Adv. Member
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2012, 04:08:47 PM »
Another possible option for you, IF you're replacing the shocks anyway:

put a deep-well socket over the shaft and onto the nut...using a long extension, rock back and forth several times and you can snap the shaft off.
was going to say that but did not want to sound like used car guy, quick easy idea
1979 ws6 trans am (current project)
2005 mercedes s55
2001 dodge durango
1980 SE trans am (new current project)
1971 Monte Carlo
the 5 p's "perfect planning prevents poor performance"

Offline Andy78TA

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2012, 07:11:13 PM »
oh yeah? that'll work? i have no problem breaking that sucker off haha. I did get one side off! Now I am trying to figure out how to get the spring tool on for that side... i just don't get it, i have to do some reading.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 07:17:22 PM by Andy78TA »
78 T/A pontiac 400- Custom Headers - 2.5 Pypes Violator header back system - Edlebrock Performer Intake - Edelbrock 1413 Carb - Head work - pro comp roller rocker - CVF bracket and pulley kit - Custom system - Recaro T/A interior

Offline Andy78TA

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2012, 07:16:50 PM »
I have a stupid question... am i supposed to unbolt the spindle from the control arms first and then with all that space compress the spring to get it out, or am i supposed to compress the spring  and then unbolt everything? I was doing it the second way and im not sure if that's how i am suppose to.

Thanks everyon!

Offline Andy78TA

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2012, 09:07:36 PM »
ok, so i think i figured out a good way to do this. Right now I have the coil spring compressor going up through the bottom with the hooks grabbing on to one of the higher coils. Since the fork that they provided does not fit through the coil spacing i have it underneith the shock perch. It held very well during my test run. Does this sound good? Now I have a couple of questions:

1) how much do i need to compress the coil. honestly when i pulled it down about 2 inches it looked like it was not touching anything on the top

2) do I undo the top or bottom ball joint first?

3) should i have a jack underneath the a arm to let it down gently?

Thanks!

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2012, 09:43:46 PM »
Whichever way (from top or bottom) you compress the spring, draw it as much as you can (SAFELY)...and above all else, run a safety chain through the spring a couple times and chain it (with minimal slack) to the frame....this will prevent the spring from launching out like a missile (this CAN happen...LOT of stored energy in that compressed spring)and hurting you or the car, etc when it comes" free" of it's pocket (the upper and lower control arms).

Put your floor jack under the lower arm...don't compress it, just touching. Disconnect the lower ball joint....leaving the nut on just at the top of the threads. Then break the joint loose...prepare for the POP at anytime while doing this when the spring will HELP push the lower control arm DOWN.

Even once the spring has pushed the lower arm down...and the ball joint is removed (allowing the arm to separate from the spindle)...you may still need to use a long pry bar to coax the spring out. Refer to all the advise you have, look over the link I posted and ask any questions you need as this can be dangerous. Take your time and be safe throughout.
Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am
1986 Corvette

Offline Andy78TA

« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2012, 07:33:01 PM »
ok first problem:  i got the one shock out and did everything as above but I cannot get the bottom ball joint to release? right now I have the spring fully loaded figuring that would rip the spindle off the bottom bolt but its not budging, whats the next step?

second problem: on the other side i STILL cannot get the shock off, i got the new tools in today but they are not fitting correctly. I tried the impact wrench thing and all it did was spin the bottom of the shock off so now i just have the top part. I tried breaking it and its still not working, i don't know what else to do. PLEASE HELP!!!!

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2012, 07:40:58 PM »
but I cannot get the bottom ball joint to release?

Has the ball joint moved at all (moved down)?
Nut still on a few threads of the ball joint?
Use a large pickle fork on the joint to budge it?
Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am
1986 Corvette

Offline Andy78TA

« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2012, 07:49:39 PM »
doesn't look like the joint has moved at all, i have the nut loosened to just the top few threads. I tried using a ball joint remover and a hammer and got nowhere, now i have  2.5 foot long crow bar there trying to pry it loose and its still not budging?

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2012, 07:50:50 PM »
And the coil spring isn't compressed?
Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am
1986 Corvette

Offline Andy78TA

« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2012, 07:54:07 PM »
nope, i guess its somehow seized on there something crazy... i guess i'll spray pb blaster and keep trying, im kinda out of other options i think :(

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2012, 08:05:16 PM »
As long as you have your safety chain in place (minimal slack in it), a floor jack under the lower control arm (not touching ...maybe an inch or two from touching), I'd compress the spring some.

Use a large pickle fork and try to knock the ball joint loose. Give it a few "whacks" and carefully let the tension off the coil spring with the spring compressors. I'd prefer a longer pry bar, but use it to move the spring slightly in the pocket....stay on your toes; even though you think you're stuck right now, it's gonna' let go when you least expect so keep all your safety tools in place and go slow
Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am
1986 Corvette