Author Topic: 78 ta questions  (Read 1109 times)

Offline 78 trans am 400

78 ta questions
« on: May 29, 2008, 09:32:41 PM »
I just bought a 1978 trans am and I have a few questions regarding it. First off the front interior panels have a hard black plastic that came out from behind the panels, it sat outside for 13 yrs. Finally did a 78 ta come with dual exhaust because the owner said he wanted to put dual exhaust on.  Thanks in advance or help

Offline Rick

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Member
Re: 78 ta questions
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 10:05:51 PM »
First of all, welcome to 78TA.com!  We're all picture freaks, so post up some of your ride! :) :)

I'm not sure I understand your first question, so you'll have to be a little more descriptive. ???

The answer to the second question is no -- the last true dual exhaust Pontiac put on a TA was in 1974.  In 1975 the catalytic converter was introduced as a emissions control device and it required a single exhaust pipe from the engine through the converter to the muffler.  The outlet of the muffler was -- on certain models (TAs among them) split into 2 pipes that stuck out from under the rear of the car.

By Federal law, the factory could not put dual exhausts on any car that originally came with a single exhaust.  Dealerships were likewise prohibited from swapping in a true dual system.  After 30 years people like to forget about that, and you'll hear stories to the contrary, but they're not true.  No dual exhausts on TAs after the end of the 1974 model year -- period.

Offline LonestaR

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 10:09:39 PM »
I think he might be talking about the kick panels, and maybe the "hard plastic" would be the tar-type sealer.
*My 2 cents

Offline Hitman

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://www.78ta.com
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 10:28:23 PM »
Actually there was a "Dual Exhaust" but it wasn't a true "Dual" exhaust.  Yes Rick, they did have two manifolds coming into one pipe to the cat to one muffler then out to two tips, but the also had two manifolds into one pipe to the cat then back out to two pipes to two mufflers to two tips (which is what Pontiac called thier "Dual Exhaust").  So, there were some different set-ups for the exhaust system.  It just all depended on what engine and application.
Brett Campbell
"Hitman"
www.78ta.com
1978 Trans Am