Author Topic: 78TA radio cb ?  (Read 3271 times)

Offline RickDs78ta

• 78 TA
78TA radio cb ?
« on: January 26, 2015, 09:35:21 PM »
I am the original owner of a 78TA. The car was ordered with every Pontiac option. My question is about the cb radio in my car. I remember it came with the most expensive radio package that I was shown by the salesman, over $500. An am/fm with a (trunk mounted RCA 40 channel cb) and a passenger side rear quarter electric antenna. However, it was installed at the dealer. Did this radio package have a factory code is my question? I no longer have the window sticker but I believe it was on the sticker. The PHS window sticker did not show any radio on its list of options nor have I been able to find the build sheet for my car. I changed out the radio many years ago and lost it. I believe it was a Delco, but still have the original RCA cb and electric antenna.  Anyone with knowledge of this package? Thanks in advance
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 11:42:39 AM by RickDs78ta »

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
Re: 78TA radio cb ?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 06:38:09 PM »
Dealer fitted means it was probably fitted with the radio accommodation package only. That also means what was fitted didn't have to even be an option but could he other GM, or whatever the customer wanted them to install for the sale really.

Offline RickDs78ta

• 78 TA
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 07:01:19 PM »
We'll I was the customer sitting across from the salesman. What I remember. When we got to the radio packages I told him I wanted the most expensive one and he said am/ fm with trunk mounted cb and electric antenna. He then checked the box just like all the other options and never once mentioned dealer installed. The way I found out was he called me that my car had come in but couldn't pick it up until the install was finished by some audio installer out in the parking lot. I believe the radio was standard Delco since replaced by me with aftermarket, so maybe that came installed from the factory and he did the cb and antenna. I guess there's no way to know without the build sheet. Thanks

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 07:19:12 PM »
Aah fair enough. Still possibly radio accommodation package to be installed later, or the exact combination wasn't an option as such. In that case, it wont tell you what went in it as was supplied at a later date. Unless dealer installed due to supply issue or similar to complete as ordered but sounds like custom order.

Offline RickDs78ta

• 78 TA
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2015, 07:46:30 PM »
Thanks very much. I'm just kicking myself for losing my original window sticker. It had all the right information. I just assumed when I ordered my PHS window sticker it would be identical but it wasn't.

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2015, 08:50:25 PM »
If you have PHS then it should still list radio codes, and if not then the option UN9 was the accomodation package too. The electric aerial may have been a GM issue but dealer fitted accessory, think they weren't an option until 79 officially, maybe not. The windscreen aerial was part of the package, if needed or not. Or going off what you said, maybe optioned for good stereo ex-factory but add-on CB/aerial installed later and perhaps not on original order. Buildsheet search starts here!

Offline RickDs78ta

• 78 TA
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2015, 02:36:08 AM »
Such a mystery! No where does the PHS mention UN9 or even the word "radio " anywhere. No radio delete either if there is a code for that. Think of the extra work for the installer without the accommodation package, I mean that was its purpose. Right? I'm still pretty sure the radio was a standard Delco although at this stage in the game my memory could be failing me. Also I've been in and under the car through the years and have never found a build sheet. Car is 350 miles away at my Fathers house and come warm weather I will start a resto tear down that may eventually yield the build sheet. Wouldn't it be funny if the build sheet just created more questions than answers. :o

Offline RickDs78ta

• 78 TA
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2015, 09:43:31 PM »
Ok, concerning my radio history. My PHS doesn't list a radio or UN9 radio accommodation package or have a windshield antenna which it didn't, or come to the dealer with an antenna in the front fender. As a dealer installed option would all these above scenarios have been controlled by the dealer. My understanding is if no radio is ordered the factory still gives you a window antenna and a UN9. Anybody out there with the same history as my package(am/fm stereo rear mounted power antenna installed by dealer)?  My package is starting to look like a freak of nature. Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 11:47:59 AM by RickDs78ta »

Offline Burd Turd

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2015, 10:58:34 AM »
I don't see a UP9 radio, CB's were shipped in the trunk also, the Bulletins say so.  UP9 wasn't listed on the 78 list in any dealer album I have. 
Born and Raised in South Detroit Bitches

Offline Burd Turd

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2015, 11:04:20 AM »
Thanks very much. I'm just kicking myself for losing my original window sticker. It had all the right information. I just assumed when I ordered my PHS window sticker it would be identical but it wasn't.

Other than a few things on the PHS, it's garbage.  There used to be a diff guy doing the window stickers and they were more complete, just like a re pop, it's crap. 
Born and Raised in South Detroit Bitches

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2015, 11:14:53 AM »
Ok, concerning my radio history. My PHS doesn't list a radio or UP9 radio accommodation package....

I think you mean "UN9"...which is the "radio accomodation package".
Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am
1986 Corvette

Offline RickDs78ta

• 78 TA
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2015, 11:47:21 AM »
Yes, sorry I meant UN9. Have changed above post. Thanks