Author Topic: Intro on my 79 Trans Am Project  (Read 5633 times)

Offline z.goddard

Intro on my 79 Trans Am Project
« on: September 27, 2011, 08:18:46 PM »
I just trade my 84 Vette, 96 clone for this 79 TA, I have always wanted one and now here it is! I was saving up for a project car and was looking to get a Third Gen because of the whole price factor but ran into a running 84 Corvette for $1000, I had the money so I brought it home, I had it for about a month and was looking to trade it for a simpler project. I had many offers including a 98 Mustang convertible to a 72 Nova but ended up with the TA. It has a 350 Chevy in it now with the original 4-speed manual, GTA rims and is a hardtop car. It needs quite a bit of work including an exhaust but may have one lined up, door panels, weatherstripping, a new pass side front floorpan and quite a bit of odds and ends. Here are some pics of it.

Please don't mind the paintjob it will be getting some fresh paint this spring, not sure on the color yet,it was originally brown but I don't see me painting it back original

Offline RainMan

• Lifetime Member
  • Rick
Re: Intro on my 79 Trans Am Project
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 08:32:55 PM »
Congrats  and I  see you have a 4 speed to boot . We have a 76 running around town here recently and it is painted viper red which  looks just killer .
Welcome to the forum  ,there's lots  of helpful members here so ask away .

Offline RRR76TA

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Adv. Member
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 08:38:40 PM »
Welcome  , nice flag  hahaha

Offline banditalex

• Ohio Firebirds
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 09:15:03 PM »
niceee! this is the place to be
1979 Black and Gold father son project.

Offline dewcrazzy

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Bob
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 09:22:14 PM »
thats the bo and luke duke edition. looks like a solid start. enjoy

Offline z.goddard

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 09:46:02 PM »
Thanks for the welcomes guys and wow I see there are quite a bit of members from Ohio, that's where I bought the car, in Toledo. Also RainMan could you tell me the color of your car? I seen one that was the same I believe and was leaning towards that or White with blue decals, any opinions?

I also have a problem with my shaker, The engine is a 350 with edelbrock carb., the car only came with the top part of the shaker and I'm not sure if it will be possible to mount it on the engine or not, and if I can does anyone know what all I need? Ill post some pics of the shaker in a sec. Thanks, Zack

Offline z.goddard

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 09:49:27 PM »
This is all that came with the car, any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Offline 4SPEED

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
  • NFTAC & POCI Member
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2011, 10:34:50 PM »
welcome to 78ta.   
77 W72 TransAM  (SOLD)
79 TransAM 4SPEED

Offline b_hill_86

• Sterling to Starlight
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2011, 10:44:32 PM »
Thanks for the welcomes guys and wow I see there are quite a bit of members from Ohio, that's where I bought the car, in Toledo.

Aww geeze... had to be Toledo huh? We always seem to get a bum rap. Ha Ha. Seems like every time someone from Toledo is on TV they give us a bad name. I could see a Toledoian doin that paint job too lol.

As far as the shaker I'm sure someone will chime in that can tell you for sure but I'm guessing you're going to have a problem getting that shaker to fit. I might be wrong but it looks like a 77 shaker for a ?? 400 ??. Someone'll correct me if i'm wrong. Some guys mount the shaker to the bottom of the hood for the correct look which might be an option.

I'm still learning with these cars too but I'm not too far from you if you need anything.
-Brian-

1977 Trans Am 400 4 speed hardtop

Offline z.goddard

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2011, 10:52:13 PM »
b hill, thanks for the tip on mounting it to the hood, if I can't get it to be functioning that will be the way I'll go, I just like the look of it too much to put a different hood on. And thanks for the welcome 4-speed btw I love the white 79 in your sig.

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2011, 10:59:43 PM »
buy the shaker from Nexus a SBC shaker, and itll line up just right...
Eroc
Fixing the car that Restore A Muscle Car jacked up....

Offline b_hill_86

• Sterling to Starlight
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2011, 11:18:30 PM »
See? I knew someone would set me straight :). Here's a link on the site to some shaker info too. http://www.78ta.com/scoops.php
-Brian-

1977 Trans Am 400 4 speed hardtop

Offline z.goddard

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2011, 11:34:04 PM »
so b hill it looks like I have a 77 shaker....I remember looking at that link but thought it was the other way around with the ridge lol. I'm not sure what eroc022 is talking about and can't find any info but I am pretty interested in it so if anyone can help me out with finding something that'd be awesome.

Offline 4SPEED

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
  • NFTAC & POCI Member
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2011, 11:48:58 PM »
78ta member Nexus has a shaker for a sbc motor.   Im not sure your intake and carb setup will work with it.

you might need to do some mod work to the air cleaner part to get it to fit.   there is also some aftermarket air cleaners you can get.  someone else might have more info on them.

thanks for the kind words , Ive wanted a nice ta for the last 20 some years. and now I have one. and now working on another, that should be done soon. 
77 W72 TransAM  (SOLD)
79 TransAM 4SPEED

Offline z.goddard

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2011, 12:10:13 AM »
K thanks guys, sent him a pm and we'll see if it'll work and what the deal is.