Author Topic: Zinc and Magnesium Phosphate Supplier  (Read 1861 times)

Offline Vedivan

Zinc and Magnesium Phosphate Supplier
« on: June 15, 2016, 11:33:18 AM »
I'm trying to coat my hinges and hood latch using a "parkerizing" processes - zinc phosphating. I also understand that many of the nuts and bolts are magnesium phosphate. I've read up and it appears that the process is easy once you've cleaned the part. Palmetto Industries was mentioned several times as a great supplier, so I called, and then emailed Scott. I received an email response stating that  unfortunately hes has gone out of business. Does anyone have any experience with another supplier?

Offline Transatrom

Re: Zinc and Magnesium Phosphate Supplier
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2016, 04:36:04 AM »
Thats unfortunate because, like yourself I have been blasting all my bolts and was going to blast the hinges this weekend followed by a purchase from palmetto.  All my research revealed that if you clean the parts that phosphate coating is the best method to prevent rusting and provides a showroom finish.

The question is now where do we go?  I'm going to the GM Nationals @ Carlise today.  Hopefully someone there will know of a source and if so I'll share.

Offline drtracer58

79 WS6-W72

Offline Vedivan

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2016, 03:36:23 PM »
I really wanted to powder coat. But I had no success trying to match the Zinc Phosphate color. I read up on Zinc Phosphating and even spoke to a couple people who restore cars and became convinced it was too difficult. So I bought the paint from Eastwood, and I'm pretty impressed.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 03:39:09 PM by Vedivan »

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2016, 02:06:31 AM »
Looks good. Mine look the same,  I used a cast iron epoxy for mine. Looks so much better than before, although like yours, still looks more like cast iron than original finish but don't care.