Author Topic: 1978 Trans Am SE production #s  (Read 2681 times)

Offline Micky

1978 Trans Am SE production #s
« on: August 05, 2006, 05:45:20 PM »
I have recently purchased a 1978 Trans Am SE 6.6 liter with the 400, auto trany, cruise, Hurst T-tops, AC, and the Deluxe interior. The car does not have the  WS6 package.  I have received the Pontiac Historical Services packet on the car confirming all of this.  How many 1978 TAs were built with the SE package and the regular 400? I have found conflicting production numbers  on different websites and wanted a straight answer if possible.

Thanks Micky

Offline Eagle 1

« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2006, 08:54:52 PM »
I think 78 is the "mystery" year, so when you find out let us know.
BTW, welcome to the board.
" He done good didnt he Fred?"
"I'm in pursuit of a black Trans Am. He's all mine so stay outta the way."

Offline John Witzke

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2006, 10:30:51 PM »
The reason you find conflicting numbers, is the fact 1978 final Pontiac production records do not show actual Y82 production numbers.  It does however list 298 Y84 cars.  

For 1978 model year there is absolutely no way to seperate base L78 and optional W72 engine production numbers with automatic transmission per Trans Am model or per Trans Am and Formula.  It appears these numbers no longer exist or at least I have not been able to locate any so far.  And I have contacted deep within Pontiac.  

Generally depending on which book you read, hobbist have accepted the current published numbers, however my research shows there is no way to be 100 percent certain these are correct.  

As Brett and others have already stated, 1978 was a year of many unknowns.
John Witzke