Author Topic: TATA Y89 Restoration/Pro-Touring Build Thread (Skip to Page 9!)  (Read 44304 times)

Offline TheKid

• Sounds taller on the Radio.
Re: Found one! Great restoration Y89, check it out
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2010, 04:21:06 PM »
So, one thing I've noticed about these cars that slightly bugs me is the way they stand. Coming from the land of slammed, tucked, and spaced sports cars (BMW's), that huge amount of wheel gap between the rear fender and the top of the tire looks...off to me. Is there a tasteful way of bringing this down just a tad to close in on that wheel gap? What do you guys recommend?
JJ
"America is all about one thing..."

-----------------------------
1979 TATA full restoration in progress

Offline Frode_skj

« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2010, 06:23:37 AM »
Lowering springs usually works, but the exhaust maybe scraping the pavement a little ;)
"79 Trans Am tenth Anniversary Edition"
"81 Turbo Trans Am"
Sad to see that people part out T\A's :( especially saveable ones

Offline TheKid

« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2010, 09:06:36 AM »
Didn't know companies made decent lowering springs for these cars. Not sure what that does to the value of the car being a completely original number matching TATA but hey, if I'm driving it, I'd like it to look good yeah? Do the guys at Pro Touring F-Body make good stuff?
JJ

Offline Justin

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2010, 10:19:22 AM »
You can mod it but keep the original stuff incase someone is trying to get an all original car.
Justin
1978 Trans Am W72
1978 Trans Am W72 WS6 Marty
1979 Trans Am WS6 403

Offline TheKid

« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2010, 12:49:44 PM »
Does anyone make direct OE replacement suspension setups? suspension is last on the list, I'm just trying to figure it all out
JJ

Offline N PRGRES

• Adv. Member
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2010, 05:30:42 AM »
Talk to Pro Touring F Body http://www.pro-touringf-body.com/  They have alot of neat stuff.  

As far as value I believe you have a 403/Auto car.  While they are a desireable car the value isn't quite what a 400/4 speed car is.....yet.  

With the 400 cars going up in value the 403 cars will go up later as the 400 cars will get too expensive.  Right now there are enough low mile super clean 400 and 403 cars out there that the resto cars have trouble competing, especially in todays economy.  

So you can do some "bolt on" mods just keep all the original parts.  Dave at PTFB is very helpful in getting you the look you want without cutting or chopping up the car.  

I keep everything and even though mine won't be close to original, if I ever did decide to go that route I have all the parts to do so.  

Hope this helps!
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 05:37:58 AM by 10Aniv »
Dave
_______
1981 Trans Am - Refresh in progress

Offline TheKid

« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2010, 10:32:58 PM »
Yeah,
Mine is a numbers matching, 100% original TATA with the 403/Auto, 73,000 miles. I'm not sure what it will be worth 100% restored to stock condition, inside and out. I'd like to do some bolt on performance upgrade eventually, once the restoration process is done. I'd like to beef up that brick of a motor that is a 403 Olds. I know they are capable of some power, it just takes some work.

Not sure if new heads, or reworking the stock heads would be the best route. I'd porbably do new heads, clean up the stock, and store them so when the time comes to having it completely stock, I can.
JJ

Offline TheKid

« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2010, 10:20:24 AM »
Also, as I am fairly new to the world of muscle/pony cars (I've been building BMW's growing up), what does it mean to "Gridle" or "full gridle" the 403?
JJ

Offline N PRGRES

• Adv. Member
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2010, 12:59:40 PM »
Yeah,
Mine is a numbers matching, 100% original TATA with the 403/Auto, 73,000 miles. I'm not sure what it will be worth 100% restored to stock condition, inside and out. I'd like to do some bolt on performance upgrade eventually, once the restoration process is done. I'd like to beef up that brick of a motor that is a 403 Olds. I know they are capable of some power, it just takes some work.

Not sure if new heads, or reworking the stock heads would be the best route. I'd porbably do new heads, clean up the stock, and store them so when the time comes to having it completely stock, I can.
I was faced with the same issue, stock or not stock...that is the question.  If you want performance you would be better served to pull the 403 and store it, if you damage it, there goes the value.  Get a 400 or something build it to play, then if needed put the 403 back in later.  Just my 2 cents
Dave
_______
1981 Trans Am - Refresh in progress

Offline TheKid

« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2010, 09:24:09 AM »
Well that's exactly what I was thinking about doing, it's just going to be Daily Driven for a long time. It's pretty rough right now, will cost me everything I've got and will have for the next 1.5 years to restore it , all while driving it a few miles a day, and the occasional long haul to my parents. Once I finish the restoration I'll be considering pulling the motor just to save value.
JJ

Offline 4SPEED

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
  • NFTAC & POCI Member
« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2010, 07:17:47 AM »
nice find.
if your not going to sell it , dont worry about the value of it.  because if restored right, you'll have alot more money in it then what it will sell for. 
good luck , and have fun with it.
Doug
77 W72 TransAM  (SOLD)
79 TransAM 4SPEED

Offline TheKid

« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2010, 10:36:18 AM »
I'm really excited for it. And yes, I plan on restoring it right, but I'd like to keep it as original as possible, minus suspension. Nice to see a supporting NRA T/A enthusiast.
JJ

Offline 4SPEED

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
  • NFTAC & POCI Member
« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2010, 10:42:56 AM »
Nice to see a supporting NRA T/A enthusiast.

I would be lost with out my toys.  owned a bunch, sold a bunch.
77 W72 TransAM  (SOLD)
79 TransAM 4SPEED

Offline TheKid

« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2010, 01:16:19 PM »
Do any companies make a good ballast powered HID kit for these cars? Or has anyone done some retro fitting?
JJ

Offline TheKid

« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2010, 02:17:16 AM »
Well,
I got the car home, finally! Put in new battery cables tonight, I'll post pics of the car tomorrow.

I have spent the past 2 hours tearing through the stacks of paperwork the seller gave me, but never really went through. It's pretty upsetting, turns out the car doesn't have 78,000 miles on it, but instead it appears to be 178,000...which doesnt make sense at all. The body is good shape, minus the seat covers. The engine is great, pulls strong and drives very well.

I have located all the previous owners and am calling them tomorrow to put together a story line, I found the very first registration tag, registered to a man born in 1931, looked him up and he's still alive according to Yellow pages! Can't wait to call around tomorrow.

Any thoughts on the high milage? That pretty much kills the value of this car...

One  reciept shows alot of head work done to the car, all new valves, 3 angle valve job, etc etc. pretty cool..
JJ