Author Topic: Where are you from? Introduce yourself!  (Read 691481 times)

Offline Shadrack

Re: Where are you from? Introduce yourself!
« Reply #1305 on: February 08, 2008, 04:08:30 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcome guys. I have looked into PHS several times to order an info package and a window sticker, but I found it sort of shady because I could not find a phone number to call and talk to them first. I only found a Fax number listed on their webpage and you still had to print off and snail-mail an application in. Are they legit? Before I send $100 to someone I want to make sure who i'm sending it to! I'm weird like that, haha.

I'm going to try my best to do this Restoration the best I posssibly can, i'm a perfectionist when it comes to my cars. '77-'78 Trans Am's are also my mother and fathers favorite car. They both love that I bought this one which makes it that much better. Mom had a White '78 Trans Am right after high school and dad had a '77 Brown Trans Am right after college and they sold both after marriage and kids. It was his '77 that they went out on their first date in. So, this project will bring back lots of memories i'm sure. One thing I would like to do to spice things up is get the heads shaved, milled, ported and polished as well as remove all the smog and stock exhaust (which I will keep of course). I don't think a little head work will hurt the value of the car that much, it will just improve the "fun factor" when driving. I'm all about horsepower but I want to keep this car as close to stock and as correct as possible. I believe by raising the compression ratio up to around 10:1 by milling, letting the engine breathe better by porting/valve job and adding free-flowing headers/muffler will REALLY open up this 400 small block. I was actually very suprised to find out how much torque it has from the factory, and I can only imagine what it would be like with just a little work, especially on the top-end.

This site seems to have a lot of useful information (I actually used this site back in '06 to decode my VIN #) and a lot of knowledgable people. I try to do a lot of research and sometimes its just best to ask someone from experience and i'm sure you guys will help me out a ton once the ball gets rolling full steam ahead. I'm working with a friend of mine to get a rotissorie (spelling!?) and once I find out if we can get it, she is coming apart this summer!

Offline kentuckyyeti

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #1306 on: February 08, 2008, 04:12:54 PM »
Has it jumped to $100?  They are legit.  Most of us on here probably have PHS on our cars.  I have used them several times with no problem.  Welcome again!

Offline rkellerjr

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #1307 on: February 08, 2008, 04:37:28 PM »
Same here, I got my PHS documentation when it was $35!  Yikes... $100?!
Rich

Offline Rick

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #1308 on: February 08, 2008, 04:38:57 PM »
Yeah, PHS is legit but they're not a big operation.  Nearly everybody on here has used them (myself included) and they are considered the final arbiter to what your car was originally.  About the only additional information you can go on is the build sheet, which PHS doesn't have.  Although I am the original (and only) owner of my 75 TA I NEVER found the build sheet (I think some chump at the dealership got it and threw it out as part of their "new car prep" service...::) ) -- but I still had the original handwritten order for my car and it matched up 100% with the PHS info I got.  The reproduction window sticker you can order from PHS also matches up with the fragments of the original one I scraped off the passenger window back in March 1975, so my experience has been that they are totally accurate in the information they have.  Just my $0.02... ;)

Offline kentuckyyeti

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #1309 on: February 08, 2008, 06:06:30 PM »
I think my last one was $60, but he is also wanting the window sticker which you pay extra for.  Just didn't know it had went up that much.

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #1310 on: February 08, 2008, 07:08:01 PM »
PHS is still $50...plus $30. more if you choose to order the window sticker...and add $15. if you need to use their fax-back service (only necessary if you're in a hurry).

So you are really only paying $50. for the doc's unless you choose to add to that...
Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am
1986 Corvette

Offline Shadrack

« Reply #1311 on: February 08, 2008, 09:32:30 PM »
Maybe I mis-read it, I was thinking it was 60 for the package and 35 for the window sticker. I might have just been dreaming! I'll definately use them now, I didn't know anyone that had used them before.

Offline OrigOwner77

• My car's shakers are mounted to the hood!
« Reply #1312 on: February 10, 2008, 06:32:07 PM »
The $60 is for international orders. US orders is $50 as stated above. Window stickers are $30. They're $35 for 81 and newer cars though.

www.phs-online.com

Cool pics to the new members who posted them as well! Welcome!

Like Father, Like Son

Dad's car: 77 T/A, Original Owner, W72, 48,000 miles, not quite stock
My car: 80 T/A, WS6, 400 w/mild work

Offline zeus

« Reply #1313 on: February 12, 2008, 11:04:22 PM »
Hello all

just wanted to introduce myself, my name is barry im a construction student in williamsport pa, been into cars all my life, mostly chevys because i didnt have the money for pontiac's, ive been researching 77-78 formula's for a while( i have 2 note books filled with notes) kinda hard to find information on them other than what they shared with the trans am, i love trans am's, but like the less common nature of a nice 400 4spd formula, my goal is to get my hands on a yellow and black, t-top 400 4spd, but if i cant find one ill just build my own.  i recently found one i would like to get but being in college money is short but im doing everything in my power to get the car, fortunally its been sitting on the lot for nearly two years so i dont think its going anywhere soon, a 77 formula 400, one of the 756 auto w72's, fully loaded ac, pw, pl, was a black leather inteior with a blue exteior, hardtop for $3500  cars 100% solid which is a hard to find thing for pa,(inteior is trashed thou and pretty poor repaint), the dealer swears on his life its a pontiac 350 but ive test driven the car enough times to not only get the engine codes but just about every other code on the car, and phs confirms its a factory w72 car, fortunally for me the owner is a real jerk and doesnt like to deal with ppl with the car, he's looking, so im hopping the car sits for a while longer till i can get the money around to bring her home.

anyways i wanted to join the community in the hopes of learning as much as i could about these cars, ive loved them since i was little but grew up in a chevy familly so have driven camaros and c/k pickups my whole life(with a s-10 blazer thrown in there), so looking forward to getting into true pontiacs.

Offline w72transamowner

• Tidewater Trans Am Club (www.ttac.net)
« Reply #1314 on: February 12, 2008, 11:11:11 PM »
Hey there Barry, welcome to the asilum  ;D.  W72 Formula eh?  So where exactly is this lot at?  ;)
1978 Trans Am WS6/W72, Auto (purchased Sep 00)

http://www.motortopia.com/garage/cars/carfanatic1

Offline Rick

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #1315 on: February 12, 2008, 11:19:51 PM »
Welcome to 78TA.com, Barry!  Feel free to post up any questions you've got and ask for help any time! :) :)

Offline Hitman

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://www.78ta.com
« Reply #1316 on: February 12, 2008, 11:35:18 PM »
Welcome to the Assylum.....
Brett Campbell
"Hitman"
www.78ta.com
1978 Trans Am

Offline bobspacin80ta

« Reply #1317 on: February 12, 2008, 11:38:56 PM »
We don't even want to leave, so come on and join us.
'80 T/A Indy pace car
'78 Grand Prix
'78 Grand Prix

Offline zeus

« Reply #1318 on: February 13, 2008, 12:26:37 AM »
thanks for the welcome guys.

w72transamowner, i also know where theres a 78 w72 4-spd t-top car sitting thou its very rough, pretty starting from the ground up all new metal just to get the car started, i may pick it up for a parts car if i can get the 77.  pull the numbers matching block out of the 77 and put it in storage and use the one from the 78.

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #1319 on: February 13, 2008, 01:27:24 AM »
Welcome to 78TA Zeus/Barry...sounds like you have a plan and a goal...now ya' just gotta' bite the bullet and save that bird  ;)
So you've already bought PHS for the car but haven't bought it yet?

Welcome to the Assylum.....

Haha...I was gonna' nail Bobby for his typo till I saw yours  ;D (I get your meaning though)  ;)

just in case: asylum   :)
Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am
1986 Corvette