Author Topic: 72 Trans Am restoration 1/9/08  (Read 208969 times)

Offline brian c

• Lifetime Member
  • Ohio Firebirds Member
    • Y88 Resto
Re: 72 Trans Am restoration 1/9/08
« Reply #255 on: July 27, 2009, 12:07:03 PM »
Hadn't checked in for a while. Amazing progress Pat! I didn't notice any striping on it yet...is that in the works or was this a no-option car in that specific regard? Just curious :)

1978 Y88, '70 455 HO block bored 0.060, TH350, 3.42:1 gears...Oct '08 Fbodywarehouse Calendar - Woot!
1980 Firebird - no engine/tranny... to be pacecar clone

Offline rkellerjr

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #256 on: July 27, 2009, 02:55:51 PM »
You go Pat!!
Rich

Offline SoonerTA

• Adv. Member
« Reply #257 on: July 27, 2009, 05:59:33 PM »
Lol whatever. It really doesn't matter. How much was the paint? Some ridiculous sum for no reason. Honestly, that's ridiculous. I guess whatever floats your boat, but in the long run it doesn't matter...

One thing to keep in mind is that a 72 Trans Am is one of the rarest Trans Ams of all, and the HOs were the cream of the crop that year.  Firebirds were only being built in Norwood, OH, and 1972 was a strike year.  Very few customer orders were filled, and a great many cars that were "in process" on the assembly line were scrapped rather than being finished when the strike was over.  Why crush a new car with 0 miles on the odometer?  Because they didn't meet the 1973 model year emissions and DOT crash regulations, so GM wasn't permitted to sell them.  The line reopened too late to make the cutoff for the 1972 model year, so every last one of the in-process cars were crushed.

Bottom line is that this isn't a run-of-the-mill Trans Am restoration -- this is a painstaking recreation of one of the rarest cars built by Pontiac during the run of the gen 2 body style from 1970-81.  It's essentially a rolling museum piece that's part of history.  That's why it warrants such close attention to detail.  Late in the 70s Pontiac was cranking out Trans Ams from 2 plants -- Norwood and Van Nuys -- in great quantities, so those cars don't command the prices of the early cars and the 72s in particular.

Very well put Rick!

Offline 75transam

« Reply #258 on: July 28, 2009, 02:58:53 PM »
All I have to say is that Pat is a real class act.  He takes the time and has the attention to detail with all his cars.  I wish I had the money to pull off the works of art that he does.  And, for what it's worth, that is one hell of a fast resto too!

Offline KeePat

• When I finish my T/A I will change my avatar!
« Reply #259 on: July 29, 2009, 10:54:51 PM »
Put the headliner in a few weeks ago, and the left side upper door trim. Installing the headliner is a MF but it turnout great!
Thank you all for the kind words and support for this project!
Pat

Offline 78ta

• The 8 track and gauge/stereo console adapter guy.
« Reply #260 on: July 29, 2009, 11:38:35 PM »
Looking good.

Yeah, those old school headliners are a B**CH. Did one in my 70 442. I also had my interior out and it was still a pain. Can you imagine trying to put a headliner in with the seats still in the car?

As much fun as tearing it apart was, reassembly is even better, isn't it? It's almost like Christmas every day you get to open up something else to put it on the car.

For me, the most nerve wracking part was the paint phase. Having to turn it over to someone else and trust that they would put same the care and attention to detail into it as I was really hard. It was a huge relief when it was finally painted and it turned out great. And it's a black car.

I see that you drive your other cars. Do you plan on driving this one as well? Or will it ONLY do show and cruise in duty for a few years?
Randy

Offline KeePat

« Reply #261 on: July 30, 2009, 07:16:52 AM »
Looking good.

Yeah, those old school headliners are a B**CH. Did one in my 70 442. I also had my interior out and it was still a pain. Can you imagine trying to put a headliner in with the seats still in the car?

As much fun as tearing it apart was, reassembly is even better, isn't it? It's almost like Christmas every day you get to open up something else to put it on the car.

For me, the most nerve wracking part was the paint phase. Having to turn it over to someone else and trust that they would put same the care and attention to detail into it as I was really hard. It was a huge relief when it was finally painted and it turned out great. And it's a black car.

I see that you drive your other cars. Do you plan on driving this one as well? Or will it ONLY do show and cruise in duty for a few years?

No question the re-assembly is the best part and when the UPS man drops off stuff you bought from ebay or one of the supplier it is like Christmas! As for driving this car, my wife and I will take it on the Hot Rod Power tour next June and maybe to one of the big all Pontiac events.   
Thanks!

Pat

Offline KeePat

« Reply #262 on: July 30, 2009, 07:21:40 AM »
Man, I have got to get some of that Plastic Dip.....outstanding idea!  You didn't patent that idea yet did you?  Can I use it? 

Please send all royalty to the keepat T/A fund. lol.
Thanks!
Pat

Offline Justin

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #263 on: July 30, 2009, 08:45:53 AM »
Wow that plastic dip is an awesome idea. That just gives me so many ideas now. lol Great job
Justin
1978 Trans Am W72
1978 Trans Am W72 WS6 Marty
1979 Trans Am WS6 403

Offline SoonerTA

• Adv. Member
« Reply #264 on: July 30, 2009, 07:18:52 PM »
Wow that plastic dip is an awesome idea. That just gives me so many ideas now. lol Great job

I would have never thought of that.  Thanks for the tip Pat!

Offline 78ta

• The 8 track and gauge/stereo console adapter guy.
« Reply #265 on: July 31, 2009, 12:13:59 AM »

I would have never thought of that.  Thanks for the tip Pat!
Yeah, I've used it a few times. That's a prefect application. I plan on using it for the same parts on the 71 Lemans and the 78 TA I just got. The front seat back release knob/lever is another good application.

It's also good for making your own grommets over sharp metal openings that wiring has to go through or over. Takes a few coats to build it up but works great.

1980MNT/A  posted a question looking for a replacement rubber cap for the seat release and I suggested he use the Plasti dip. Don't know if he did or not.
Randy

Offline 1980MNT/A

• 1980 - WS6, L37, CC1, Tahoe Blue, Camel Cloth
« Reply #266 on: July 31, 2009, 01:06:08 PM »
I have the Plasti dip on order!!  I will post pics on how it turns out!

Bill
Bill

2019 Ford F-150 XLT - 4x4
2013 Ford Flex Limited - AWD, EcoBoost
1994 Chevrolet K1500 - Ext Cab, Short Box

Offline stonewall61

• Brad
« Reply #267 on: August 03, 2009, 04:41:47 PM »
Pat........
a couple things............
#1, i'm so impressed at every post you make.... i've said it 15 times already, but awesome job! AWESOME!
#2, i hate to see the negative comments on your post. I wish that some of those last posts could be removed. I've been on the forum for a couple years now, and i saw the original post where the Hitman had the police T/A sensor made up ( i like your's too hammer!) But this is only the second time I've seen it used....

Offline SoonerTA

• Adv. Member
« Reply #268 on: August 03, 2009, 06:03:36 PM »
Pat........
a couple things............
#1, i'm so impressed at every post you make.... i've said it 15 times already, but awesome job! AWESOME!
#2, i hate to see the negative comments on your post. I wish that some of those last posts could be removed. I've been on the forum for a couple years now, and i saw the original post where the Hitman had the police T/A sensor made up ( i like your's too hammer!) But this is only the second time I've seen it used....
I don't think I have ever seen it.  Sorry it had to happen to such a great post and Amazing car!!!  I can't wait to see more pictures!

Offline KeePat

« Reply #269 on: August 03, 2009, 08:01:53 PM »
Hey guys it's all good, the negative post ad a little drama to the thread.
Thanks!
Pat