Author Topic: Mix of Stock and New  (Read 2391 times)

Offline raypfaff

Mix of Stock and New
« on: July 18, 2015, 03:32:20 PM »
Hello All,

Thanks for reading. I have been going through the process of mapping out my suspension upgrades. I spoke to a few shops locally and the advise being given is unless I am heading to the strip my suspension upgrades should be to keep the original hardware and improve around them. They feel I should keep my stock control arms, leaf springs and sway bars. The parts I am considering break down as:

Chassis: SFC (just bolted in), DEL-A-LUM bushings, OER replacement thicker rear spring shackles
Shocks: KYB Gas-A-Just
Wheels/Tires: Stock Snowflakes w/ Master Craft Avenger GT 255-60-15

I would love some feedback and hear if anyone has any input or suggestions.

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
Re: Mix of Stock and New
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2015, 03:37:38 PM »
... unless I am heading to the strip .....

So what is your intended use of the car?
Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am
1986 Corvette

Offline raypfaff

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2015, 03:56:51 PM »
Hi Jeff,

Thank you for the reply. My intent with the car is to have it setup for street performance and highway. Regarding the strip I won't be doing that but I do plan on upping the output of the car to roughly 420 HP 550 ft.lbs. torque.

Edit:
I know the Del-A-Lum bushings are made up of Delrin which as I understand it is a heavier rubber. By going that direction I figure I would fall between the benefits and disadvantages of the Rubber vs Poly debate. A slightly less harsh ride than all Poly setup but a more controlled ride that will last longer than rubber. On paper this sounds ideal. In practice I don't have a point of reference.

My question would be considering my plans of use and potential desired output would this setup make sense for the suspension? If I am not racing on a strip are these suspension options unnecessary and wasted on my vehicle? With the desired output in power are these suspension options not enough? I would say this is where my lack of experience is impacting my build.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 12:07:43 PM by raypfaff »

Offline TAKID455

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2015, 08:51:37 AM »
Master Craft Avenger GT 255-60-15 - never heard. Sound like crappy knock offs.  Go BFG

Add solid body bushings and bilstiens vs the kyb's (crap)

You will notice a difference in overall handling for everyday use.
2nd Gen Engineering
Specializing in Suspension and Driveline Performance Engineering
Custom/ Racing/ Restorations

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 11:29:41 PM »
Mastercraft is a division of Cooper, and actually predates it in name background. The BFG is classic on a TA, I bet the Avenger would be similar in performance seeing as neither was brilliant. Price and availability may affect. Plenty of online comparisons saying they are the best or worst they've had.

Offline raypfaff

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2015, 12:57:16 PM »
Thanks for replying guys. I think I know the setup I want to go with now. I'll update shortly.