Author Topic: Front Sway Bar Bushings?  (Read 3696 times)

Offline raypfaff

Front Sway Bar Bushings?
« on: August 02, 2015, 01:00:02 PM »
Hello All,

I am in the market to buy replacement sway bar bushings and link bushings. I found a kit through Ames (ES) that covers what is needed for the rear sway bar. Correct me if I am wrong but shouldn't there be something comparable I should be looking to buy for the front? So far going through Ames, Classic Industry and NPD I haven't come across anything. Before I place an order I want to make sure though.

Thanks!

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
Re: Front Sway Bar Bushings?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 01:02:36 PM »
You can get all of this for less at a local parts store.
Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am
1986 Corvette

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2015, 01:03:38 PM »
www.rockauto.com has good prices also
Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am
1986 Corvette

Offline raypfaff

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2015, 01:20:01 PM »
Hi Jeff,

Thanks for sharing the link. My concern would be knowing each piece to look for to build up to the bushing and hardware kits offered at other companies. My goal was to buy bushings, mounts and hardware to get that aspect of the suspension squared away. Currently this is what Ames is suggested. What do you guys think?

Offline mikekop

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 04:14:16 AM »
Look up Rizzi's Auto Parts on Facebook, he's in New York and will sell you kits for front end rebuild, only Moog parts, at good prices!
I'm not dangerous, I'm just plain ugly...

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2015, 12:18:03 PM »
It depends on whether you have the WS6 suspension and whether or not it's important for you to get the factory handling.  You can use Moog for the base suspension, but if you have the WS6 suspension, you should use polyurethane front sway bar bushings to bring back the factory handling.  The polyurethane bushings are shaped differently to give you better snap back during a turn.

Offline raypfaff

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2015, 09:39:02 AM »
Thank you all for your replies,

@mikekop, sounds like you are in the New York area. I'll definitely reach out to Rizzi's Auto Parts. They are located in White Plains which is about an hour to an hour and half out from me. Awesome recommendation to get! Not many spots close by in New York to go check out.

@ta78w72, Factory or better is definitely what I would be looking to go for. I do have the WS6 package installed. Thanks for weighing in about the sway bar bushings. This actually brings up a point I am hoping to get input on...

I currently have the car in the shop and work is being done. The following parts have been ordered and are being installed. This is the build I am going with would love to hear what you all think.

- Moog Upper & Lower Ball Joint
- Moog Upper/Lower Control Arm Bumper kits
- Moog Upper/Lower Control Arm Bushings
- Front Stabilizer End Links (Poly)
- Front Sway Bar Bushing with Bracket Kit (Poly)
- Rear Sway Bar Bushing with Bracket Kit (Poly)
- Rear Sway Bar Heavy Duty Shackle kit and Bushings (Poly)
- Rear Spring to Axle Hardware Kit (Poly)
- OER Rubber Body and Core Support Mount Kit
- Competition Engineering Bolt-In Subframe Connectors
- Front/Rear KYB Gas-A-Just Shocks

I think I covered all the bases. My mechanic said most likely not all of the parts will need to be used but I think this was the right way to go with the order. I went through Ames so I have 90 days to schedule a return if need be.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 10:37:31 AM by raypfaff »

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2015, 02:38:24 PM »
This is what the WS6 end link bushings look like.  These are factory correct.  I bought some NOS bushings a while back.  They're getting hard to find.

Offline mikekop

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2015, 05:00:03 AM »

@mikekop, sounds like you are in the New York area. I'll definitely reach out to Rizzi's Auto Parts. They are located in White Plains which is about an hour to an hour and half out from me. Awesome recommendation to get! Not many spots close by in New York to go check out.

Haha, no, I'm not in New York, I'm in Sweden, somewhat 8 hours flight over the Atlantic Ocean :-D
But I keep myself informed, buy a lot of parts from the US, and have been in touch with Rizzi who seems honest and professional.

Offline raypfaff

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2015, 02:53:44 PM »
I finally got the car back. Everything was put in with the exception of the shocks. The car currently has what my mechanic called booster shocks (They look like standard coil overs to me) he said I would be dropping my height by switching out the shocks and I would be better off leaving them in... I know the Gas-A-Just are highly recommended do they really lower the stance? I would like to keep the stance as close to stock as possible. Should I be looking for coil overs only?

Here are some photos:

Offline raypfaff

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2015, 09:00:17 PM »

Haha, no, I'm not in New York, I'm in Sweden, somewhat 8 hours flight over the Atlantic Ocean :-D
But I keep myself informed, buy a lot of parts from the US, and have been in touch with Rizzi who seems honest and professional.

Haha, well any other NY region based names you would like to drop I am all ears! That's really cool to hear. are there plenty of parts you can get local or does the majority have to be ordered from the U.S.?

Offline mikekop

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2015, 05:52:34 PM »
I can get most service parts like bushings and joints etc. locally.  Most engine parts are available too. Firebird specific parts, like interior etc needs to be ordered from US. Every time you order anything from US, you need to pay sales tax (25%) on the sum of part+shipping+customs fee (3,5%). I have been lucky to been able to dodge those fees of various reasons most times... Friends and connections come in handy those times...