Author Topic: HEI Ignition  (Read 1298 times)

Offline Bartman289

HEI Ignition
« on: June 19, 2020, 04:19:55 PM »
This may be a stupid question but, I recently took delivery of my 1978 T/A Y88. The issue I am having is rough idle and stalling in gear. I have found several vacuum leaks that I have fixed and that has made a huge improvement but I still have to keep the idle adjustment screw up a little higher than it should be so I don't have to worry about stalling at lights. I just replaced plugs and they look good to me. I then decided to replace the cap and rotor and noticed that electrical plugs going into the cap are towards passenger side of engine and the vacuum advance module is on the drives side. That's 180 out, is it not? I watched several videos on youtube and they all say it doesn't matter what side its on. Just wanted to get your opinions. BTW, the car is in time and drives great just not liking idle characteristics.
Thanks for the help.

Offline Stringer

Re: HEI Ignition
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2020, 10:55:19 PM »
The car will not run 1800 out of time...so I wouldn't worry so much about the side the vacuum advance is on.  You should however check for a vacuum leak on the intake.  Use carb cleaner and spray along the area where the intake mounts to heads...don't forget about where it joins with the block at the front and rear. If the idle changes speed you have found a leak. 

Hope this helps. 
« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 11:02:20 PM by Stringer »