Author Topic: How can I tell what motor and year I have in my car?  (Read 1829 times)

Offline sixpack_sid

How can I tell what motor and year I have in my car?
« on: April 06, 2017, 07:41:57 PM »
Hi, I just bought a 79 trans am. The guy I got it from told me the car has a 455 in it.  The motor and trans is  just sitting in the engine bay not hooked up. So  I pulled it out.  The motor has two push rods missing along with the rockers and the trans is missing the torque converter and all the linkage. I checked the casting # it said a 455 olds engine. I'm not sure what to ask for when ordering parts. the casting # is 396021f. Any idea?

Thank you!

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
Re: How can I tell what motor and year I have in my car?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2017, 02:58:08 AM »
F block is a 455 Olds. Are you keeping that motor to rebuild or using something more suitable?
The VIN will tell year, generally second digit.

Offline sixpack_sid

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2017, 06:00:45 AM »
Yes I would like to use this motor. The vin says it came with a 403 motor. Will  it fit ok? The vin is 2w87k9n13118.

Thanks

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2017, 09:44:17 AM »
Yes, it will fit better than if it had some other engines perhaps. But thing like headers, Air con, and shaker scoop will cause problems. It sits the same as the 403 but is taller and wider at the intake.

Offline sixpack_sid

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2017, 04:38:41 PM »
Thanks for the info. So how do I tell what year and how to order parts for the motor?  Cause if I say a 79 T A with a 455 motor, I would think the parts won't fit.

Thanks again