Author Topic: Snowflake Wheel Restoration Vendor  (Read 4856 times)

Offline kra9484

Snowflake Wheel Restoration Vendor
« on: September 16, 2016, 04:34:11 PM »
I just picked up a set of snowflake 15x7 wheels for my 77 SE restoration project (original wheels missing). So i'm looking for a company to send them out to for a restore & painted in gold edition, anyone have a recommendation. Thanks

Offline TAKID455

Re: Snowflake Wheel Restoration Vendor
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2016, 03:36:45 PM »
Depends on your location.  Keystone is a national company that refinishes rims. Also most places that refinish rims can do it. You just supply the color code you want.
2nd Gen Engineering
Specializing in Suspension and Driveline Performance Engineering
Custom/ Racing/ Restorations

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2016, 07:57:30 PM »
I figure any mag wheel repair shop can do it, clean them up, carry out any repairs, coat of paint, machine faces, clear if needed. Just be aware that it will likely cost more than many pay for replacement wheels, a set in poor condition can cost similar to a set in excellent condition to restore so sometimes hard to justify.

Especially with the introduction of the larger diameters, plenty of nice original wheel went on the market for good prices not seen previously. Having said that, I like the multi-angled face on the 15x7 flakes, a wider version that maintained that plus a lip would have been neat, especially now in larger diameter.

There's plenty of info on here too about wheel restos and colours. You want Code 55 Gold for the rims, of course matching that now is another challenge, but at least start with the right code!
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 07:59:28 PM by Aus78Formula »

Offline kra9484

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2016, 11:35:07 PM »
Thanks for the info guys. i've been checking ebay & other sites & the average price i've found for already refurbished wheels is about $1200. i picked these up in a small town in MT friday for $250 & they are in excellent condition with not even any curb damage. these are the preferred size & style i want with the closed outer circles for my 77. i should be able to get them restored for under a g. thanks guys!

i did find these at Parts Geek for $137 but seems pretty fishy. Prolly china wheels...

http://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts/AC/4657-04040240.html?utm_content=AYY&utm_term=1980-1981+Pontiac+Firebird+Wheel+Action+Crash+ALY01213U55+Platinum+Plus+80-81+Pontiac+Wheel&fp=pp&gbm=a&utm_source=google&utm_medium=ff&utm_campaign=PartsGeek+Google+Base&gclid=CKTOsqy-ms8CFU6VfgodTBkKqA&ad=47433950052

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2016, 11:58:02 PM »
Interesting. Have never seen that type in repro form. Some of the Chinese stuff is done well, others are an unknown.

Offline Ari

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2016, 04:30:05 AM »
I just bought and received one 15x8 Keystone Snowflake wheel at RockAuto.com, with as cast -finishing. The price was $106. Unfortunately the price about doubled with delivery to Europe. But still I am pleased, as for years I was looking for a reasonably priced whole set of four 15x8 wheels, or just a single wheel to complement my set of three. Now I can swap my 15x7's to wider ones. At the moment, the 15x8's seem to be out of stock at RockAuto, but there is still at least one 15x7 wheel for $131.
1979 Firebird powered by Olds 455

Offline jcurrieta

• Trans am NUT
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2016, 10:38:24 AM »
autobody shops will do it as well.... i did my turbos and snowflakes yrs ago myself. I used liquid stripper to remove the paint and clear coat... messy and annoying, then polished the face surfaces then taped them off,,, sanded, primed then painted and cleared the inside sections. unmasked them and wet sanded and polished face surfaces again. I left the alum bare so i could repolish.
'80 Turbo Trans Am Pace Car
'81 Trans Am (Y84 recreation) "SOLD"
'96 Trans Am LT1 "SOLD"
'82 Firebird (Trans am clone) "SOLD"
'81 Firebird (1st car) "Wrote off"
'98 Trans Am Ws6 Ram Air "SOLD"

Offline kra9484

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2017, 10:48:05 PM »
sorry for the late reply, thanks guys for the info ;D

Offline 78T/AKID

• W72, 4SPD, WS6 49K
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2017, 08:19:10 PM »
I just bought and received one 15x8 Keystone Snowflake wheel at RockAuto.com, with as cast -finishing. The price was $106. Unfortunately the price about doubled with delivery to Europe. But still I am pleased, as for years I was looking for a reasonably priced whole set of four 15x8 wheels, or just a single wheel to complement my set of three. Now I can swap my 15x7's to wider ones. At the moment, the 15x8's seem to be out of stock at RockAuto, but there is still at least one 15x7 wheel for $131.

Is that the correct color for argent gray I though they should  be a darker grey...

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2017, 08:31:40 PM »
It's not argent but as cast for final years.

Offline skip99

• mt, vernon, ohio
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2017, 07:29:54 PM »
Im restoring  a few sets right now, blasted, powdercoated, and re machined , let me know if your are interested.

Offline kra9484

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2017, 03:00:37 PM »
thnx skip99. do you have a web site or can you send me your info?

Offline Burd Turd

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2017, 04:02:21 PM »

Is that the correct color for argent gray I though they should  be a darker grey...

Look at he nOS one I have in the nOS wars with Reaper, it has factory pain on it.
Born and Raised in South Detroit Bitches