Author Topic: 1976 Project  (Read 1144 times)

Offline thechip

1976 Project
« on: June 12, 2009, 12:50:00 AM »
Project can be seen here...   http://gallery.me.com/chips#100194

We have some, but not all of the car history. I'll list the tech details here and post as we find more or add more pics.

1976 Trans Am - VIN says it is an original 455 car
Engine is a 1974 455 and the heads a 1976 6x-8. (obviously not original)
Hurst 4 Speed
Hedman Headers
AC has been removed
Hays Billet Steel Flywheel, CF clutch setup, and lakewood bellhousing
Interior was stripped, but all new goodness is in boxes ready for install minus dashpad :(

We are just getting into this project. Pulled the engine a couple nights ago. The headers on the pass side made thing interesting, but we got it all out. We have the original bell housing and are determining weather to keep the current setup (issues posted in separate thread) or go back to stock. Next it all goes back in the car and we start on installing the fuel pump and fuel line. After that we connect everything needed to fire it up, and start the car for the first time in ~8 years.... more to come...

Offline 72blackbird

• Adv. Member
  • Old Birds don't die-they get faster, corner harder
Re: 1976 Project
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 01:36:17 AM »
Congrats on the nice work- looks like she's almost done. The 455 w/ 6x's will make at least 9-9.3:1 Compression- an easy 425 -450 hp even w/ stock heads, headers and 2 1/2" duals. What color is that?

Geno

Offline thechip

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 02:24:49 PM »
Thanks. I can't take credit for how she looks, as I just got my hand on it. It's been sitting exactly like you see it for the last 8 years. Essentially all the hard work has already been done and I am just piecing it back together. Unfortunately this is the first car from this era I've worked on (mid-70's) so it's like putting a puzzle together. A good portion of the bolts and parts were labelled, but not everything.

I'm not very good a describing color, I would describe it as Metal-Cherry-Maroon. Not sure what color it as the guy sprayed it with 8 years ago, but it's a decent paint job for sure.

Offline 72blackbird

• Adv. Member
  • Old Birds don't die-they get faster, corner harder
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 03:53:54 PM »
You're fortunate to have a project car with the engine already rebuilt, bodywork and paint already done, and a 4-speed with honeycombs on it to top it off. My '76 T/A project isn't a total wreck, but it needs an engine and trans, wheels and tires, new interior, bodywork and paint, was well as some other parts- alot of work, not to mention the money I'll have to put into it. I would have normally passed on a car in this condition, but it was a real T/A and the floorpans and quarter panels weren't too bad- it should make for a nice driver when it's done.

I have a 75 400 block and 6x-8 heads that are already in the machine shop- just trying to figure out if I want a 462 stroker that will make 400+ hp and eat expensive 91 octane, or a 406 w/ 8:1 compression that will run on 87.

Geno

Offline RRR76TA

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Adv. Member
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 05:55:07 PM »
Looks good