Author Topic: Any ford techs out there?  (Read 2384 times)

Offline Lostsoul

Any ford techs out there?
« on: September 07, 2008, 07:40:53 PM »
I ve got a 2003 F250 superduty 5.4 auto FX4....just turned 28000 miles as its not my daily driver until the last few weeks.(killed my daily driver S10).
went for a drive yesterday and had a strong smell of gas from the driverside front.popped the hood and between the air filter housing and the fender is a canister that looks like its a chargoal canister or vapor recovery of somesorts. it has a cap on the end closest to the firewall that looks like it was half chewed off. and i believe this is were the gas smell is coming from any ideas?

Also has anyone heard of these trucks having what feels like something in the rear suspension slipping when you take off from a dead stop? It also happens at very low speeds when you pull to a stop quickly and the rear suspension rises quick then settles

thanks for any help

Offline Sundance

• Pictures of one of my addictions
Re: Any ford techs out there?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 09:03:10 PM »
Will a Service Manager at a Ford dealer right down the road from your house do?
Send me an email with your phone number on it.
I'll call you on Monday.
brianmeans@battlefieldford.com
1956 Bel Air Sport Coupe
1983 Z-28
1979 Trans Am
2004 Harley Davidson Lowrider 1 of 75

Offline Amtrak

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 01:05:32 AM »
Hey lost soul if you find out about the rear suspension please let me know my f250 does the exact same thing

Offline Lostsoul

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 06:47:11 AM »
Talked to Brian(Sundance) yesterday, he described a situation that Ford had with the slip yoke in the rear driveshaft sticking and that some trucks needed the yoke replaced with a nickel plated one....I will keep you informed

Offline jphillips3333

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 03:58:49 PM »
Slipping issue.  You need a nickel plated slip yoke.  It always sounds like a "hoot" when you take off hard ... to use the best verbalization of the sound.  It's because the driveshaft is hollow.

You can put anti-seize compound inside the yoke and it'll quiet it down for a month or so depending on temperature but it'll come back.  It happens in Chevy's too because the domestics cut corners and then the noise popped up.
John

1 of 1107                     1 of 37,015                    1 of 1817

Offline Gold78Spc

• Ohio Firebirds President 2008
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2008, 12:55:34 AM »
This should fix your problem

78 Gold Special Edition TA
96 GMC Sierra
99 Diamondback 18 Spd
00 Ford Windstar
04 Buick Rendezvous
05 Roadmaster tricycle

Keep on Moppin' in the Free world.