Author Topic: Correct Radio Install  (Read 2490 times)

Offline 1980MNT/A

• 1980 - WS6, L37, CC1, Tahoe Blue, Camel Cloth
Correct Radio Install
« on: November 06, 2008, 04:35:36 PM »
Well, after about a month of searching I found the correct UM-7 (AM/FM Stereo ETR) radio that was original to my T/A.  I found it on eBay and it came in the original box, had the correct wiring pigtails, and doesn't appear that it had even been installed.  The installation and removal went very well and I am very happy with the new radio!  It looks good and sounds even better!

Delivery:

Just coming out of the box:

Old Radio:

New Radio Installed:

Digital Display!:

I know it might not seem like a real hardcore restoration, but I figured I had to start somewhere and getting everything back to original was a good place. 

If anyone is interested I have a UN-3 (AM/FM Stereo Cassette) that needs to be refirbished (I was told the cassette doesn't work and the speakers crackle when you adjust the volume), a set of radio wiring pigtails, and an original Delco radio box for sale!  I'll make a post in the Parts for Sale thread in the next couple days.

Bill
Bill

2019 Ford F-150 XLT - 4x4
2013 Ford Flex Limited - AWD, EcoBoost
1994 Chevrolet K1500 - Ext Cab, Short Box

Offline 78w72

• Adv. Member
Re: Correct Radio Install
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 06:26:49 PM »
radio looks great!   you say it sounds better?  do you run the factory 10 ohm speakers?  do the etr radios have a better quality amp section?

i just installed a used radio cassette like your old one & it sounds like crap to be honest, i use original gm 6x9 speakers  but i am thinking it might be the speakers since they had a hard life being pushed by an aftermarket "high power" cd player through the 90's. hopefully new speakers will help the sound. 

i dont expect much from a stock 1978 radio but anything louder than the engine (flowmasters) & the bass sounds like a fart sound you'd make with your mouth.  i'm sure everyone is making that sound right now & you can all tell its pretty pathetic for a bass note.  ;D

so basically i was wondering if the etr radios have better or more power. i do have a spare etr cassette from a 1981 pacecar  i could use if it was a better radio. 
78 w72 ws6 4 speed
81 turbo pace car
lots of other past t/a's

Offline Rick

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 07:06:16 PM »
Nice looking install!  Great job! :) :)

Offline 1980MNT/A

• 1980 - WS6, L37, CC1, Tahoe Blue, Camel Cloth
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008, 10:34:03 PM »
Thank you guys for the kind words!  I just have a bunch of little projects planned for my T/A so far, nothing major (you have to appriciate one owner vehicles!), and I really wanted to find this radio before I couldn't...I think they are kind of rare...

78w72,

I guess I don't know the specifics on the actual radio as far as if it has a better quality amp or not.  I know since mine originally came with the UM7 radio, it also incuded RPO UQ1 ("Delco Sound" Extended Range Dual Rear Speakers), which might be why it sounds pretty good?  I know the speakers are all original and they are not going to blow the doors off at all, but good crisp, clear, sound with distinct bass and treble.  Another reason why it was such an improvment was that the UN3 radio that I took out is in need of a good internal cleaning, I think there is some significant dust and grime built up around the volume control, creating static in the speakers.  Basically whenever you touched the volume dial it would crackle super loud over the speakers, I hated even using the radio before!

Hammer,

I agree, it does look a ton better, almost sleak-like.  There is something to say about the classic chrome pushbuttons, and I would have had no problem with them, but I wanted the right radio installed.  I'm really glad that I joined this forum, and did some research before I tackled the radio project, I picked up plenty of short cuts!

Thanks again,

Bill
Bill

2019 Ford F-150 XLT - 4x4
2013 Ford Flex Limited - AWD, EcoBoost
1994 Chevrolet K1500 - Ext Cab, Short Box

Offline Helter80

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2008, 11:23:59 PM »
my 79 came with the UN3 stereo cassette player. does anyone know the difference with that one?
www.transamplus.com
Rob

79 Trans Am- Nocturne Blue,T-Tops,403,Camel Tan Deluxe Interior

Offline 78w72

• Adv. Member
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2008, 11:38:21 PM »
my car had the radio delete package originally so it had no radio.   i just wanted a stock radio for looks mainly. i used dual 6x9 in the rear deck, they are from a 1989 blazer & have the whizzer cone for highs. i'm thinking they could be blown & that is why the bass sounds so bad.

i will have to swap out a pair of new speakers to see if it changes anything. 
78 w72 ws6 4 speed
81 turbo pace car
lots of other past t/a's

Offline Rick

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2008, 12:12:51 AM »
i'm thinking they could be blown & that is why the bass sounds so bad.

Oh yeah, if the speakers are that old they have rotted out.  Last year just before the Nats I discovered that the foam surround on my rear speakers had disintegrated into dust.  Geeze, did they sound horrible.  I got a replacement set from Best Buy and Milly installed them for me, and we reused the original grilles (they weren't factory, but from back in the day so they were "period correct").

Offline rkellerjr

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2008, 06:16:50 AM »
Great installation, she looks puuurrrty ;)
Rich