Author Topic: New radio, speakers, and their wiring  (Read 22472 times)

Offline oldskoolubr

• Adv. Member
Re: New radio, speakers, and their wiring
« Reply #90 on: March 19, 2013, 12:24:17 PM »
I am not totally technical Schroeder,  but it will make for a nicer and more efficient install!  Also I had a FI motor that I piggybacked to what I thought was a good hot lead and it ended up overheating and blowing a head gasket on one of my previous vehicles.  So you can see why I am leary of that!  :D
I have installed Stereo equipment for over 20 years, I am NO expert but try to learn from my mistakes!  ::)

Offline Angelo

• Mods and Rods
« Reply #91 on: March 19, 2013, 12:44:18 PM »
Does it say how many amps the antenna draws? Or does it have its own fuse? I think it can't draw that much but you never know.
81' (78 clone), House of Kolor Jet Set Black, Pontiac 400 built by DCI Motorsports, FiTech EFI, Tremec 6 speed, 3.73 rear, YearOne 17" snowflake, Pro Touring F-body GT shocks/springs, hydroboost, factory 4 disc, Ram Air Resto + Thrust transverse exhaust.

Offline oldskoolubr

• Adv. Member
« Reply #92 on: March 19, 2013, 12:59:03 PM »
Ya it is very hard to say on those antenna motors?  Do a little research, I am sure you will be fine.  Run the RCAs so you don't have to do it later and try to run them away from your power or ground so as to avoid interference or engine noise. 

Offline ponchonutty

• Adv. Member
« Reply #93 on: March 19, 2013, 04:51:00 PM »
Does it say how many amps the antenna draws? Or does it have its own fuse? I think it can't draw that much but you never know.

Usually less than 1 amp  http://www.metraonline.com/part/44-UA20  Now, if you plan to add more things to the audio system that require a "turn on" lead then I would suggest using a standard smpt relay off of the amp turn on lead to accomplish this.  Most car stereos do not like to have more than a few amps on the amp turn on lead.
Rich enough to own a TA, too poor to keep'm all ;)
1980 TA (1st car)
1989 Formula
1976 400 4sp
1976 400 auto
1978 WS6/W72 4sp
1970 455 4sp Formula clone
1980 Indy Pace TA

Offline Angelo

• Mods and Rods
« Reply #94 on: March 19, 2013, 05:01:54 PM »
1 amp is nothing, I'd do what ponchonutty said and wire it to the blue/white wire from the receiver.

If you already soldered it to the yellow factory wiring, I would just leave it. Me thinks we're way over thinking this. :)
81' (78 clone), House of Kolor Jet Set Black, Pontiac 400 built by DCI Motorsports, FiTech EFI, Tremec 6 speed, 3.73 rear, YearOne 17" snowflake, Pro Touring F-body GT shocks/springs, hydroboost, factory 4 disc, Ram Air Resto + Thrust transverse exhaust.

Offline oldskoolubr

• Adv. Member
« Reply #95 on: March 19, 2013, 05:58:06 PM »
Ya if you are using the same on off as the radio, I see NO problem there! ;D

Offline Schroeder

« Reply #96 on: March 21, 2013, 10:52:35 PM »
I'll take a look at it tomorrow when I get home.  I may just leave it as is I suppose!  I forget how I wired up my blue wire, but if it is easy to wire into it I guess I'll do that.  Thanks guys.  I'm going to being SEM'ing some interior parts this weekend.  I hope to get it all done.  Then I can start buttoning up the dash and such.  I will get everything in place and things will start coming together.  I'm getting excited.  If I had a little more time I'm CERTAIN this thing would be on the road this year, but as it is I do NOT have a little more time.  It is going to be close if I can get her out.  Do you guys strongly recommend testing this radio setup before everything is buttoned up?  I feel confident in my setup, so I have not tested it.  I did not feel comfortable rigging it up to a battery and testing it that way.  At this point the audio system has not been tested.

Offline oldskoolubr

• Adv. Member
« Reply #97 on: March 21, 2013, 11:20:21 PM »
Yes, Definitely recommend testing b4 buttoning UP!  Nothing worse than having to take all apart AGAIN!

Offline Angelo

• Mods and Rods
« Reply #98 on: March 21, 2013, 11:42:27 PM »
Hooking up a battery is easy. I did it to test my radio and speakers. Just keep in mind a car 12v battery is not going to hurt you like a 110v plug in your home could, and I bet you sleep within 4 feet of a 110v socket. Just putting into perspective what your working with.

Interesting how Thomas Edison invented the electric chair to scare folks of the horrors of alternating current. He failed and Tesla won the AC vs DC wars in our homes but DC is how it still works in our cars.

Offline Schroeder

« Reply #99 on: March 23, 2013, 08:03:20 AM »
Oh I'm not afraid of physically getting hurt, I am afraid of frying something.  I'm going to test it today though.  I'll let you guys know!

Offline Angelo

• Mods and Rods
« Reply #100 on: March 23, 2013, 08:12:32 AM »
As long as you use fuses you will not fry anything, the newer receivers have fuses in the back so that will cover the receiver at least.

Offline Schroeder

« Reply #101 on: March 24, 2013, 02:54:40 PM »
I tested the radio guys.  It works great.  Sounds AWESOME.  My  metra antenna works great too!  Even sitting in the metal shop I was able to get crystal clear reception with the antenna!