Author Topic: Can yo indtall t tops?  (Read 4173 times)

Offline cobray

• You don't want to make me angry!
Can yo indtall t tops?
« on: October 07, 2006, 11:44:44 AM »
Is there any way to install t tops on a '76 TA if not equipped?
Has anyone attemped this?

Thanks,
Jeff
1976 TA SE(clone)
Purchased: Aug 1982
Sat & Rusted away for 20 years
REBORN!!!!: Aug 2007 (after 3 years of restoration)
http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee80/jlittlef/

Offline Tin Indians Rule

• Tech Staff
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://home.comcast.net/~rwhitejr/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html
Can yo indtall t tops?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2006, 11:48:13 AM »
Jeff, it can and has been done. Although the best way is most likely the most expensive. Find a T-Top donor car that has everything still intact and chop the roof off. Be sure to get as much of the A & B pillars as possible. This will be sure the body shop that chops your roof off while have enough material to re-attach the donated T-Top roof correctly.

Tell me about your 76. Is it mostly original and in very good shape? How is it currently equipped?
What's she wearing now? Come on!
1976 Black 455 4 speed (current project)
1976 White 400 Auto (original)
F-body stuff stashed everywhere.
Always buying/selling/trading  just ask!

Offline S76GUY

Can yo indtall t tops?
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2006, 08:48:44 PM »
Jeff
Just to chime in here for a sec, if you are going to install Hurst tops which are correct for that car. I would just cut the tops in as they did it back then.
All Hurst cars were cut after they were built.
This would be a much safer avenue in my opinion, and probably cheaper too. Needless to say it would be correct for that era also.
If you want to install Fisher tops, then I would do what Tin said before.
Just My opinion.
Tony T.

Offline Tin Indians Rule

• Tech Staff
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://home.comcast.net/~rwhitejr/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html
Can yo indtall t tops?
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2006, 09:56:38 PM »
i totally agree.

I never even considered that someone wuld install Hurst Hatch tops. I've never heard of anyone that was satisfied with them and mine leaked like there was no gasket between the tops and the body.

The Hurst would be era correct thats why I was asking about the condition of the car. If it's an all original car I'd say sell it before you butcher it. If it's not an original car then I'd personally stick Fisher tops in it. But that's just my 2 ¢'s worth.
What's she wearing now? Come on!
1976 Black 455 4 speed (current project)
1976 White 400 Auto (original)
F-body stuff stashed everywhere.
Always buying/selling/trading  just ask!

Offline S76GUY

Can yo indtall t tops?
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2006, 06:48:05 AM »
I agree Tin.
Tony

Offline cobray

Can yo indtall t tops?
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2006, 09:07:23 AM »
I have had the car since '82 so it means a lot to me.  I never intend to sell it.  It was originally yellow with WHT interior and had a orange stripe around the bottom.  Looked like a girls car from California, and it was.   Wish I could find her and let her know that her car is still around.
I always liked the SE since I was a kid so in '85 I had it painted (emnamal) black and put in a black interior.  It came with custom trim, power locks/windows, air, defrost, tilt.  Not bad for '76.  
Now I am restoring it exactly like a SE including the things I missed last time like the dash window trim, and other emblems.  
Some people may think you sould keep it original and buy an SE if you want one.  Maybe so, but this is my old car and I lone the SE but I still want my old car with all the memories!

So yes I want it specific to that year but not as concerned with selling it.  I want it to look like an original SE, the car I love so much.  I hear that some SE's had standard interior. I only wish it had the custom interior but I can live withh the standard.  I put in new foam and vynal, new headliner, carpet and added many ne trim pieses.  The car will look like new.  This is the way I wanted it back in '82 and tried in '85.

2.5 years latter, it is 95% complete.

The engine has been dynoed and is in the car. I just have to hook up th radiator and exust and it should fire up.
I restored the body and paint. Everythig has been restored to new condition.,  It has the original 400 all redone including 455 stroker, performer manifold, ported heads, ram air exust, everything is new or refyurbushed in the engine but Looks stock.
Hp 458, torqe 568. I have the dyno.
I am the second owner.

Thats the background.  But wish it had t tops.  Some people say t tops rune the structural integrety of the car.  Lett twisting with a hard top.

Hope to have it another 20-30 years!

Jeff
1976 TA SE(clone)

Offline cobray

Can yo indtall t tops?
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2006, 09:11:26 AM »
Oh yea, one more thing.
I have an automatic.  I know that the '76 SE 455 only had a 4 speed.

Jeff
1976 TA SE(clone)

Offline flstc89

t tops
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2006, 06:41:57 PM »
Check out Texas Trans Ams
He does this all the time. I am having him put them in mine.

Offline fb_rider

Can yo indtall t tops?
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2006, 09:14:49 PM »
People ask me all the time if my Hurst tops leak and I say no - after they look at me funny, I tell them my car stays in the garage, so they never leak!

Actually, they didn't leak when I drove in the rain to NC for TAC2, but I wouldn't trust them if the car was outside all the time!  That was also the first time I turned on the windshield wipers - fortunately, they worked fine.
1977 Trans Am SE w/W72 engine (sold)
1999 Trans Am Anniversary Edition #953 (sold)
2000 Trans Am Firehawk #263