Author Topic: engine help!  (Read 485 times)

Offline 1978TransAmkid

engine help!
« on: February 01, 2011, 05:52:56 PM »
me and my dad are wanting to pulll the engine out of my 1978 trans am. it has the 400 6.6 400 turbo tranny and 3.73 gears. we were wanting to finally put some money into the engine, im planning on ordering the comp mutha thumpr 287th7 cam. just curiuse if i should go smaller or bigger? im order roller rockers probally a 2500 torque converter, timing chain, shift kit, headers. just trying to get allitle more info on the best size cam i should use.

thanks, shane

Offline gilbertsta

• "Live Like You Are Dying"
Re: engine help!
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 05:58:17 PM »
I think everyone will tell you to make it a "stroker" If you do I recommend ohiocrankshaft.com  they have a nice offering for the price. Also pick up Jim Hands Pontiac engine building book . At about twenty bucks it has a lot of useful information.  Also your cam needs to mach your intake and carb. Are your heads ported? what size is the combustion chamber in your heads. As Jim hands book will tell you you can spend money  on new parts but if they are not in sync you will have issues. Do you want lower end torque or do you want to drive on the hwy at a 70 mph cruise? Also take a look at your lifters. There is usefull info on lifters and rockers...1.5 or 1.65? See your simple question about a new cam is not so simple. I recently was in your position and have been doing a lot of reading, talking and absorbing information. I was a chevy man my most of my life and now got my first pontiac. Well it is actually going on my 3rd engine in a year. I spun rod bearing in the other two engines, mostly from cuising on the hwy at 70mph, 3000 rpm for extended periods of time. Also Check out "Pontiac Dude" website. He has a lot of info too......
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 06:29:55 PM by gilbertsta »

Offline oreobadr

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 07:49:20 PM »
go to camquest.com, they will help you with everything on picking out cams, and if your looking for like a 60 horsepower gain, it sounds like a good way to do it with the stuff you described
NOS is like a hot girl with an STD. You want to hit it but you are afraid of what might happen.

Offline 72blackbird

• Adv. Member
  • Old Birds don't die-they get faster, corner harder
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 08:49:57 PM »
Not all Pontiac 400's are created equal- if you have a no.500557 400 it has undercut main saddles and can crack at the main cap dowel pins if you run a 6.8/4.25/3.0 stroker kit, squeeze, or run a blower or turbo. But even this 400 can support 450 hp, so don't hesitate to use it.

Geno

Offline Joker (§ir£Ğragon)

• Lifetime Member
  • When you think it can't get any worse...God laughs
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 01:30:47 AM »
Before you order your tranny parts make sure you actually have a TH400. They weren't installed in a '78 Trans Am from the factory.
Larry

Offline 4SPEED

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
  • NFTAC & POCI Member
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 09:37:32 AM »
ohiocrankshaft,   SRS,    stan ray & sons  ,  they go buy many names.   just read the ultra fine print on there warranty

77 W72 TransAM  (SOLD)
79 TransAM 4SPEED