Author Topic: Who else has a Stinky TA??  (Read 1799 times)

Offline PyrettaBlaze

Who else has a Stinky TA??
« on: March 21, 2013, 04:54:41 PM »
Hey all!

Everytime I drive my 78 TA I smell like exhaust fumes. I don't get any headaches but what bugs me is the smell on my hair and clothes. Not a good smell on a girl ya know  ;)

Anyone else smell like their car? Is this typical? Motor is a 73 455 (never rebuilt) with headers and dual exhaust. I don't have any emissions equipment. Could that be the cause? My charcoal vapor canister has the hose that leadS to the carb plugged. I've searched other threads but others have complained about gasoline fumes. I appreciate any tips or advice on this, thank you.

Offline winks79

• Chad
Re: Who else has a Stinky TA??
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 06:59:02 PM »
Get used to it, unless you put a converter back on. The exhaust fumes can get strong without it. Charcoal can just helps with gas fumes when car is shut off mainly. All autos will have strong exhaust smell without the converter. Now if you were running racing fuel, now that will smell really nice to me!

Offline PyrettaBlaze

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 07:25:13 PM »
Oooh ok. Yeah no catalytic converter ever again for my TA.  Oh well  ill just have to put up with it. Thanks Winks.  ;D

Offline Gold79ta

• Adv. Member
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 07:44:03 PM »
I have no idea  besides the converter, my smells the same no cat on mine.
I do have one question, I see you are in california, how does your car pass smog with no converter?

Offline PyrettaBlaze

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 07:55:41 PM »
it doesn't pass

Offline T/A Addict

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 08:27:32 PM »
Shoot.... A girl wearing exhaust fume perfume? I'm in love from the moment I smell her.
Jeff
2016 Victory Cross Country
2010 PCP Dodge Challenger
79 TATA
79 T/A Auto Solar Gold
69 Firebird

Offline LilSki

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013, 08:56:52 PM »
Could possibly be running too lean. The burning your eyes and smelly exhaust is often from running too lean causing a slight lean miss. You can try richening up the idle a bit and it may help.

Also the reason race fuel smells the way it does is because most of it is unburnt since it burns so slowly.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 08:59:32 PM by LilSki »
Kevin
79 Trans Am: (77 nose), WS6, M-21, 461, Hotchkis TVS, PTFB Contol arms. 
85 Trans Am: Vortec 350 w/LT1 cam/T56, TPI conversion w/Megasquirt II.

Offline Greenbird76

• The way Grandma wishes she could of ordered it!!
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2013, 12:28:03 PM »
Do you have any exhaust leaks or holes in the floor that would be letting the fumes profusely into the cab?   I had an 80 Forming that had holes in the floor boards and toe panels and that exhaust use to come right in from the leaky exhaust.  My present car was taken apart, and completely resealed: the only time I smell like exhaust is when she is running and I tuning her in the garage.   

Offline Elz

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2013, 02:18:52 PM »
I agree with Greenbird. If you are driving and your exhaust is exiting out the back like it should be, you shouldn't smell like exhaust fumes.

Offline 72blackbird

• Adv. Member
  • Old Birds don't die-they get faster, corner harder
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2013, 03:56:40 PM »
A later model T/A will get an automatic fail at the smog inspection station if they see you're running an earlier engine, missing your cat, EGR, or any other obvious smog equipment. But living in CA doesn't mean you can't have performance and comply with emissions too- I'm planning to use Hedman headers, which have an CARB EOD exemption no. (D-167-27) and are smog-legal. Those headers will run into a y-pipe, single cat, then another y-pipe into dual mufflers- once the inspection is over I'll have an x-pipe "test pipe" that will bolt in place of the cat section. Alot of shops charge $300-500 for the "under the table" smog cert- good money that could be applied to getting your engine to pass smog, and then you only have to pay the regular fees.

Back to topic, I agree with the others that you may have some holes in the firewall or floor pans letting exhaust into the passenger compartment.

Offline PyrettaBlaze

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2013, 06:09:30 PM »
Thanks for the info and feedback everyone. I won't have everything nice and sealed for a while, but I don't have my eyes burning either. Just dealing with the stink on my hair and clothes.

And I smogged my car early January this year so Im good for another two yrs. If I have difficulty getting the certificate I'll definitely have to do what your doing 72Blackbird. I may contact you with a PM askin for a walkthrough or something.

Thanks again!  ;D

Christal