Author Topic: 78 martinique blue  (Read 46763 times)

Offline Bman

Re: 78 martinique blue
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2015, 07:36:33 PM »
Been a while but i've made some progress

Engine and tranny ready to install

Installed the a/c box and blower assembly

Spent way too many hours wire wheeling the underside rear of the car, no fun at all.

Pretty pleased with the results

Got the rearend all blasted and epoxy primered

Here is the next project, fixing the tail panel. could be a tough job.

Offline jonathonar89

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2015, 08:06:45 PM »
Good stuff Bman, keep the progress and pics flowing

Offline Bman

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2015, 08:44:44 PM »
Thanks jonathonar89, will do!

Offline 4speed76

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2015, 09:11:06 AM »
X2 on the undercarriage, I just finished my '81 without the use of the hoist.  Don't think I'll ever do it that way again.  Awesome progress by the way, give me motivation to get back on mine
1976 T/A project
2009 Honda CRV
2001 Honda Civic

Offline Bman

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2015, 09:22:09 PM »
Thanks, I did the underside of the front half of the car laying under it. Both ways weren't very fun, but the hoist did help.

Offline Blue78TA

« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2015, 01:39:07 AM »
Just found this thread tonight and really enjoyed seeing your progress. Congrats on all the work you've gotten done. I too have an 02 T/A and a 78 Martinique Blue T/A. This inspires me to get working on mine again, along with my 14 yr. old son. 
Look forward to seeing more.

Offline Bman

« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2015, 08:09:15 PM »
Thanks for the kind words! I've been busy working on the car though it feels like I'm not getting much done. Couple tail panel pics.

Ended up cutting pieces out of my parts car. Had to replace part of the trunk too.

Here's the part of the trunk I had to replace

Seam sealed welds

Installed rear end but car sits way too high. Springs are fairly new and are the ones that came with the car. Here's how it looks sitting with tires on the ground.

Nice huh! So now I'm shopping for springs.

Offline Transatrom

« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2015, 07:17:50 AM »
I'm equally impressed.  I've been restoring my 1978 and find myself bouncing all over the place from seat tracks, to rebuilding the door latches to pulling the radiator core to sanding the trunk lid to replacing trunk torsion rods to ....

I've been sand blasting all the front hardware as of this month and grinding down the sharp edges from the factory.  Have about 2-3 more hours then I'll be ready for the oven and powder coat.

I'm about to pull the engine next so I can blast the frame and powder coat it as well.

I'm looking for a lower left a-arm; the previous owner seemingly ran it on a curb or something.  Ground down the arm where the shock is barely bolted on.  Go figure!

Keep the pics coming and your experiences shared;  We all learn from one another.  Take a look at my Daves 1978 restoration if your going to do the seat tracks.  I provide a helpful post on how to repair them with pictures.  Doesn't come close to your body work though!

v/r
Dave

Offline tata

« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2015, 11:41:03 PM »
I have a nice control arm if interested.  Just srnd a pm if you are

Offline Bman

« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2015, 08:58:02 PM »
Thanks Transatrom! Sounds like your project is coming along nicely. I checked out your post on restoring seat tracks, nice work. Very Impressive!

Offline Transatrom

« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2015, 03:10:29 PM »
Thanks BMAN.  Perhaps I'll catch up to you this winter, but know I'll likely not have your experience in metal work; that's a skill you surpass me on.

TATTA, I'll check locally on the A-arm.  Shipping alone will kill me from your location.  I need it, just need to find a reasonable location / source.

Offline Bman

« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2015, 08:59:59 PM »
Thanks but my metal skills are limited. I'm trying to locate a body shop now so a professional can hang the quarter panels. I did however get a few things accomplished this weekend.

Decided to install engine and tranny. Custom shrink wrapped the engine to keep dust out at the body shop.

Assembled core support and front bumper

Added inner fender wells too

Hoping to find a good body shop soon.

Offline jonathonar89

« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2015, 01:45:07 PM »
I really like how you did the lizard skin on the interior size and also the textured undercoating under the car.  Seems like your panels will be sealed and sound deadened very well.

If still looking at leaf springs, check out the Hyperco composite leafs.  The spring being much lighter seems like it would have the ability to react much faster versus a steel leaf.  Ridetech is now offering them with their new street grip kits and I'm sure other companies like PTFB could supply them as well.

Here's another business offering the composite leaf as well (they claim 50lbs reduction on leaf itself)...
http://customworksproducts.com/suspension.html

Offline y88rick

• Lifetime Member
  • f bodies suck. Don't buy one lol
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2015, 04:40:19 AM »
Nice
Too many birds, not enough food.

Offline Bman

« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2015, 08:08:21 PM »
Thanks guys! I am hoping the Lizard Skin and undercoating do keep the noise down. I did purchase some springs for the rear and I will update on the ride height issue. Thanks for the info jonathonar89, I ended up just buying 4 leaf Eaton springs.
Haven't made too much progress lately. The body shop search has proven tiring. Everything from outrageous quotes, to I don't have time, to I don't want to tackle a big project, to no response at all. So I still have some leads on "good" body guys, crossing my fingers one comes along soon.

Here's the most recent trip to body shop for quote