Author Topic: Would like to paint and clean up air cleaner assembly on a budget .... Ideas ?  (Read 944 times)

Offline 78&89TA

I didn't plan on putting lots of cash into it as it's been cut up inside. I dont want to do any kind of bead blasting or anything like it,  just clean and paint but I was wondering if anyone had any other ideas ?? I guess I could lightly sand the inside rust off ?
Should I use flat black or semi gloss paint ? Or even glossy paint ??  just another project to do :)

Thanks !
Jim
1978 T/A
1989 GTA

Offline oldskoolubr

• Adv. Member
You could use aluminum foil with a spray bottle full of dishsoap and water then scrub like  crazy til the rust is gone then use a red oxide primer followed by low gloss 500deg paint.  If you get you get enuf rust off you could use the self etching primer then follow with a couple coats of the same paint aforementioned.  Then prep the outside and follow suit with a semi-gloss iIMO.

Offline Squirrel

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Dan
i have painted several of them, sand as best you can with paper and steel wool, clean and wipe off debris, and paint with semi flat black krylon paint, works every time.  no primer and up to 3 thin coats, i have had mine on for 10K miles without issue and still looks great and very close to oem finish.  takes around 30 minutes.
1978 Chesterfield Brown TA
1977 Camaro 4 speed with t tops
1977 Mustang Cobra II

Offline tata

well, my car looks great on the inside! lol I will tell u my secert. I use black bbq spray paint. Looks almost like factory. Also it's heat resistant to 500 degrees

Offline 78&89TA

well, my car looks great on the inside! lol I will tell u my secert. I use black bbq spray paint. Looks almost like factory. Also it's heat resistant to 500 degrees

Sweet , fill with some charcoals and I'm set ;) , I have some of that paint , so maybe there's a start :)
Jim
1978 T/A
1989 GTA

Offline 78&89TA

You could use aluminum foil with a spray bottle full of dishsoap and water then scrub like  crazy til the rust is gone then use a red oxide primer followed by low gloss 500deg paint.  If you get you get enuf rust off you could use the self etching primer then follow with a couple coats of the same paint aforementioned.  Then prep the outside and follow suit with a semi-gloss iIMO.

Never heard of the foil idea but I like it , thanks for the  help :)
Jim
1978 T/A
1989 GTA

Offline 78&89TA

i have painted several of them, sand as best you can with paper and steel wool, clean and wipe off debris, and paint with semi flat black krylon paint, works every time.  no primer and up to 3 thin coats, i have had mine on for 10K miles without issue and still looks great and very close to oem finish.  takes around 30 minutes.

Looks like semi black is the color to use , im sure when finished it will look great on the car :)
Jim
1978 T/A
1989 GTA

Offline oldskoolubr

• Adv. Member
Yes the BBQ stuff is AWESOME!  I used it on my Radiator and Actually as a Base on my headers, but the stuff I used was good up to 12-1300Deg so shop around.  You can find it at WalMart and usually they have it with 25% free as well.  Ya that Aluminum foil trick is ridiculous and props goes to The Rocky Rotella Tech Tips Website.  It is unreal on Chrome too.