Author Topic: Need parts for my engine  (Read 4185 times)

Offline Ekki

Need parts for my engine
« on: May 25, 2006, 07:12:06 PM »
Hi folks,

we're currently in the process of restoring my 78 T/A. Unfortunately the motor is in a pretty rough condition and if it wasn't numbers matching I'd probably look for new/other engine. But I guess you don't simply dump the motor of a 4-speed SE, do you? :wink:

I'm looking for these parts:

crankshaft + bearings
camshaft
connecting rods
main bearing
(hydraulic) lifters
timing chain
lifters
piston rings
clutch disc
clutch release, bearing assy
motor gaskets

While I will buy a couple of these as new parts, like the cam (the Summit 2801 was recommended as a good cam for 4-speed), I have no idea where to get (for example) a crankshaft.

I'd be most grateful for any recommendations for reliable (used?) parts dealers. Thanks!

Ekki

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
Need parts for my engine
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2006, 08:18:59 PM »
Gee, you certainly want to retain that engine.  Check out the paper written by John Witzke.  It covers the W72 engine.  You will want to match the specs John lays out for the new parts.  There's a link on this site for the paper.

One thing you didn't list was the flywheel.  That will set you back around $325 plus shipping.  About the only one that fits is the centerforce 700610....that is if you install an original type crank.  Centerforce also sells the clutch stuff you need.

No way I'd put used parts in the engine.  You're going through all the trouble of rebuilding it.....you need to know what's going in otherwise you'll be doing it again.

Offline ronj1977

Need parts for my engine
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2006, 12:28:34 AM »
try franks pontiac for the flywheel mine cost 125.00 plus shipping and you can go to 11 inc clutch NOT ALL PONTIAC FLYWHEELS ARE THE SAME  ONE IS 2.75 INCHES ON THE CRANK CENTER HOLE THE OTHER IS 2.49 INCHES IN THE CENTER IF YOUR CAR IS A 77-78-79 THEY FLYWHEEL IS 2.49 ALL 455'S ARE 2.75   LOTS OF DEBATE WHETHER OR NOT IT THE CHANGE FROM 2.75 TO 2.49 SOME SOURCES SAY 1973 AND NEWER OTHERS SAY MID YEAR 1976 AND NEWER

Offline Hitman

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://www.78ta.com
Need parts for my engine
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2006, 09:27:33 AM »
I agree.... when you are building an engine, I would not go with used parts from another engine.... you will just be asking for trouble.
Brett Campbell
"Hitman"
www.78ta.com
1978 Trans Am

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
Need parts for my engine
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2006, 09:37:51 AM »
Quote from: ronj1977
try franks pontiac for the flywheel mine cost 125.00 plus shipping and you can go to 11 inc clutch NOT ALL PONTIAC FLYWHEELS ARE THE SAME  ONE IS 2.75 INCHES ON THE CRANK CENTER HOLE THE OTHER IS 2.49 INCHES IN THE CENTER IF YOUR CAR IS A 77-78-79 THEY FLYWHEEL IS 2.49 ALL 455'S ARE 2.75   LOTS OF DEBATE WHETHER OR NOT IT THE CHANGE FROM 2.75 TO 2.49 SOME SOURCES SAY 1973 AND NEWER OTHERS SAY MID YEAR 1976 AND NEWER

You're right on the crank measurement.  It is 2.49, that's why it was so hard to find and so expensive.  I gather they only made that size crank for three years.  My flywheel had so many cracks I couldn't have it resurfaced.  I had to go with a new one.  The centerforce flywheels are made from billet steel.  They are well worth the money.  Remember, he has a manual transmission not an automatic.  A flywheel for an auto is around $80.

I believe most of the 400's had the 2.75 crank, it appears it was only the W72 engine that had 2.49.....but I could be wrong.  Anyway, to me it doesn't matter....I have 2.49 and had to spring for a very expensive flywheel.

Offline ronj1977

Need parts for my engine
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2006, 04:25:41 AM »
was told the flywheels are going to be reproduced  with 2.49 centers when i was looking for mine a guy said that if he could find one he would make a mold since they are so rare  but franks pontiac had a couple of them in stock  almost went to billit myself looked for a long time  every now and then i see them on e-bay usally around 120.00 for a fourspeed flywheel not bad it is possdible to machine the 2.75 with a collar was on my list of possibilites. but made me nervous if you ever had a flywheel go you know what i mean.

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
Need parts for my engine
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2006, 02:10:35 PM »
I think the original flywheels are junk.  They are cast iron.  Once you've seen a billet steel flywheel, you wouldn't install anything else.  To me, it looked like a piece of art that you could hang on your wall.  They are absolutely beautiful.

If you buy one off ebay, you'll have to have it resurfaced.  I think that runs about $80.  So, 120 + 80 and for another 125, you can have a brand new flywheel.  Hey, it's only money!

The other problem with buying one off ebay is they may not be able to resurface it depending on how bad it's cracked....they develop lots of little cracks...kind of amazing.

Offline Ekki

Need parts for my engine
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2006, 09:34:51 AM »
Hey, it's only money!
Great attitude!  :mrgreen:
I wonder if I still see it like that in 2 months... :wink:

Thank you all for your input/suggestions. We might have found a crank (+rods) at Frank's. Besides I'll order the 'small' parts vom Summit. Any objections against their SUM-K2801 cam?

Ekki