Author Topic: What’s it worth?, 1979 WS6 W72 400 4 Speed  (Read 1884 times)

Offline barkau1004

What’s it worth?, 1979 WS6 W72 400 4 Speed
« on: October 02, 2014, 08:37:32 PM »
Considering buying a 79 T/A.  I posted regarding the suspension, and received some great responses, so I was hoping you guys could help me out with the value.  Here’s the details:

Body:  has reasonably nice driver quality paint with some wear and tear.  Was originally Heritage Brown over camel (code 69/69) is now red over camel with all decals.  Although there are no rust through issues, starting to see some paint bubbling along the bottom of the fenders and quarter panels.  Doors have some rust along the lower inner edge, but mostly surface rust.  Trunk and floors appear to be solid.  Has correct WS6 wheels with new Radial T/As.  Fit lines are ok in general. Pics can be seen in the mechanical section under “considering buying a 79 T/A…”

Interior:  Very nice condition, recently installed OPGI replacement seat foam and covers.  Dashpad has been replaced and has no cracks.  Carpet was also replaced with OPGI carpet.  Headliner is good.

Mechanical:  Suspension is obviously questionable with the rear end sitting uneven.  Previous owner replaced all suspension and body bushings with poly replacements.  Engine has been rebuilt and overall looks stock, except for headers, and Edelbrock intake, replacement valve covers (too shiny to be original) and the a/c compressor missing.  Brakes go to the floor.  Motor seems to run well but can’t drive it due to the brakes – owner says it drives/shifts great.
Documentation:  Vin has a Z in the fifth position.  Has a set of PHS docs.  Not sure if the motor is original or not.  The paint on the front of the motor is heavy and I can’t see the PWH code, if it is there.  Did not check the casting number or heads yet.

I would like to make an offer on the car this weekend, looking for opinions of the value based on this info assuming the motor is correct as well as assuming it’s not.  Or am I making too much of an issue about the motor matching?
Thanks for your help.

Offline Dark T/A

Re: What’s it worth?, 1979 WS6 W72 400 4 Speed
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 04:15:10 PM »
Post some pics, i know you said you wanted to make a offer into that weekend but lets see what your looking at.
-Rick