Author Topic: "TH" gearbox rebuild, has anyone done it themselves?  (Read 2187 times)

Offline pat

• Adv. Member
Re: "TH" gearbox rebuild, has anyone done it themselves?
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2009, 03:21:51 PM »
take lots of pics i want to try this too at some point
speed kills drive a ford and live forever

Offline RRR76TA

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Adv. Member
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2009, 03:47:55 PM »
You can do it

Offline chets78TA

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2009, 02:03:16 AM »
The TH350 is the easiest trans I have rebuilt. I've done 5 of them so far and they are all still going. I attached a link for transmissionpartsusa.com which is were I buy most of my parts. they have the best prices around. I'm not sure if they will ship to the UK but it's worth a shot. There is a book out called "Turbo-Hydro Matic 350 handbook" which is VERY good. I highly recomend it as it provides step by step instructions with lots of pictures. It also has performance and trouble shooting chapters. I agree with the others about a clean area and special tools. I made my spring compressor from threaded rod & angle iron 12 years ago and it's worked every time. Give it a shot.  If you have questions or run into trouble give a shout.

http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com/Default.asp
Current Projects:
1978 TA (mine) under construction
1968 Firebird (wifes) Project on hold till mine is done

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2009, 11:04:17 AM »
Found this link that might help a bit Steve:

http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53671
Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am
1986 Corvette

Offline Sir english firebird

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Adv. Member
  • Ohio Firebirds Member. proud to be
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2009, 12:44:52 PM »
hahaha well thats what happens if u live in england. Actually i also own a jetta and man can i tell u the parts are expensive. if i could have only kept that money used in german parts and used it for american parts for my bird.....it be running mid 12s by now hahaha

A Jetta??? omg lol
Do you need parts? is it cheaper to buy them here?
As for living in England....... it wasnt my fault where i was born.... but we do have fish n chips and proper pubs! etc etc and MINI's eh Rick!

As for the help guys, i cant tell you how much i appreciate it, im hoping to move workshops soon ( to get more space ) so if work doesnt get too busy the Bird will get a makeover!

Jeff thanks for the link, ive added it to my faves. ( ps wheres your bloody passport? )
Power is nothing without Control.

Steve, :-)
1979 Trans am.

( no point in adding what else i keep changing them ! )

Offline ih8z28s

« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2009, 05:51:33 PM »
I rebuilt my TH350 last summer, I was a little intimidated at first, but once I got into it it was actually pretty simple.  I completly disassemble it and took the torque converter and a few parts to a local shop.  I had them flush the converter and run the case through their machine to clean it.  Then I had them install any bearings that needed replacing.  I assembled the rest.  I bought my kit from Northern auto along with a shift kit.  I cannot stress enough that a good manual and torque wrench are needed  during the process.  I took a bunch of pictures, but don't know where I have them.
Black, 1977 Trans Am - 455, 4spd(sold)

Black, 1979 Trans Am - 403, auto

Blue, 1980 Trans Am - 400, auto