Author Topic: Trunk question  (Read 1328 times)

Offline Bladerunner

Trunk question
« on: May 26, 2020, 05:34:31 PM »
I have a 78 T/A that came with the custom trim group vinyl for the interior, what lined the trunk? I have the tar paper liner in the trunk now. What usually came in the trunk?

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
Re: Trunk question
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2020, 04:45:40 AM »
Early 78 had the grey herringbone vinyl mat, later switched to black felt carpet used in 79+ models. A bit vague as to when, seemed to use up stock at different factories, VN seemed to change to the carpet much earlier based on photos. It also often matched the trunk floor of splatter paint or black, but not always.

Offline Bladerunner

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2020, 09:04:32 PM »
Thanks, to tell you the truth I can't remember when my car was built. It's been awhile since I have looked at that info. I ordered the information from Pontiac Historical Services a few years ago. I know it was built at the Norwood Ohio plant. I plan on looking at that tomorrow. If it was built earlier in the year I'll go with the vinyl if it was later in the year probably carpet.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 09:06:24 PM by Bladerunner »

Offline Bladerunner

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2020, 08:16:17 AM »
It was built in July so I'm going with the black felt carpet. Any suggestions on who has the best reproduction mat?

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2020, 09:38:20 AM »
I have a rolled up carpet still sealed. Can't comment on fit etc but will check brand. Prob from Firebird Central. Pick correct years as often cutouts for wheel brackets and offer them most years, original or not.