Author Topic: California smog?  (Read 9769 times)

Offline Justin

• Lifetime Member
California smog?
« on: August 05, 2008, 08:30:29 PM »
So I live in Penn but I am from California.I got lost here for four years now(chasing a girl) and in my wondering in Penn I bought a 78 trans am that is getting all fixed up nice and pretty.All my Family is in California and I plan on moving back within a few years but I want to keep my Baby. I was wondering what the restrictions are on the 78 trans Am. Were there any smog pumps or anything else I should worry about?Any help is great. thanks 8)
                                                                                 Justin ;D
Justin
1978 Trans Am W72
1978 Trans Am W72 WS6 Marty
1979 Trans Am WS6 403

Offline Rick

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Member
Re: California smog?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 08:35:46 PM »
Russ can pretty well fill in the blanks, but I think unless it's dead stock you are screwed.  Anything newer than 75 (76 up to something to new cars only 5 years old) is required to be smog-tested annually, and I *think* that includes a visual check + sniffer test.  Without all the original hoopty-doo on the engine you don't have a snowball's chance and even if it's bone stock if it's not working perfectly you won't pass.  He mentioned that his daughter had to have the filler neck on her car resoldered because the fuel system wouldn't pass the leak down pressure test (fuel vapors could escape the tank via a small crack around the filler neck).  The CARB (California Air Resources Board) is a major PITA to vintage car owners.  :P :P :P

Offline Gunner

• Adv. Member
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 08:42:49 PM »
Do yourself a favor. Get yourself a Penn P.O. Box, and use it as your mailing address. Register the car to that address and keep Penn tags on it. Probably alot more cost effective than trying to fight the State of California. They don't like our kind of cars out there anyway.

Gunner
Better Living Through Superior Firepower

Offline Justin

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 08:56:52 PM »
so like the pistons,bore,roller rockers,headers,cam job,750dbl pumper,all that stuff thats not stock is no good in the lovely state of Cali?
Justin
1978 Trans Am W72
1978 Trans Am W72 WS6 Marty
1979 Trans Am WS6 403

Offline rad400

• Adv. Member
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 09:25:55 PM »
Justin have the car tagged in Delaware, and get a antique tag any never worry about imissions, or a fee to get new inspestion sticker.
Conrad
79 Trans am 400 t400 3500 stall #12 heads holley 750 vac carb. Torker II intake 3:73:1 gears 12 bolt rear.

Offline w72transamowner

• Tidewater Trans Am Club (www.ttac.net)
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 09:27:09 PM »

Russ can pretty well fill in the blanks, but I think unless it's dead stock you are screwed.  Anything newer than 75 (76 up to something to new cars only 5 years old) is required to be smog-tested annually, and I *think* that includes a visual check + sniffer test.  Without all the original hoopty-doo on the engine you don't have a snowball's chance and even if it's bone stock if it's not working perfectly you won't pass.  He mentioned that his daughter had to have the filler neck on her car resoldered because the fuel system wouldn't pass the leak down pressure test (fuel vapors could escape the tank via a small crack around the filler neck).  The CARB (California Air Resources Board) is a major PITA to vintage car owners.  :P :P :P  

Wow  :o, and on top of all of that it's really super expensive to live there too?   ???

Do yourself a favor. Get yourself a Penn P.O. Box, and use it as your mailing address. Register the car to that address and keep Penn tags on it. Probably alot more cost effective than trying to fight the State of California. They don't like our kind of cars out there anyway.  Gunner

Wouldn't that also require you to have a Pennsylvania drivers license?

so like the pistons,bore,roller rockers,headers,cam job,750dbl pumper,all that stuff thats not stock is no good in the lovely state of Cali?

With all those rules, its makes you wonder how it is that there are so many hot rods out there in California.
1978 Trans Am WS6/W72, Auto (purchased Sep 00)

http://www.motortopia.com/garage/cars/carfanatic1

Offline Rick

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 10:28:19 PM »

It's my *understanding* that the visual check won't catch things not visible to external inspection.  Pistons, bore diameter, rockers, and cam wouldn't show up in that kind of inspection.  Headers, different intake manifold, non-stock valve covers, and carb would stick out like a sore thumb.  Also, the absence of a correctly configured air pump, EGR valve, EFE valve, vapor canister, and thermal sensors would be caught.  Any deviations from the factory catalytic converter setup would be an instant fail.  That's my understanding -- which may be incorrect, since I live in Indiana where we don't have any inspections at all.

The sniffer check, however, is tough to beat.  That's when carb calibrations and timing would show up, as well as the lack of the thermal sensors in cutting unburned HCs (which are higher before the car warms up).  But like I say, you'll need to get a better read on all this from some of the guys who are out there in CA and have lived with this for some years. :-\

Offline TwoTripsTA

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2008, 07:24:28 AM »
For what it's worth I ran a 79 out in Cali for over a year and got it smoged ok.. which suprized me but there you go.  There are no shortage of TA's running the cali coastline but I am guessing that as many of them will have been original cali cars, they are still undercooked by other states standards.  Mine is on MT plates now and will be for ever more.  I suspect that as here in the UK there are places you can go to get the certs you need  ;)
'79 Y84 SE

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2008, 09:27:32 AM »
Basically, you're screwed.  Bringing a car in from out of state requires a visual inspection by the DMV.  Then you've got to get the vehicle emissions tested.  You need to have all the original vacuum hoses connected, it must have the cat in the original configuration (i.e. you cannot install two cats for true dual exhaust), it must have the original (or approved by CARB) exhaust system, the smog pump (if installed originally) must be connected, the carburetor must be original (or one approved for CA by CARB), and you must pass the sniff test, timing must be to factory spec, and the gas tank will be pressurized to check for leaks.....fail one...fail the test.

You can use different pistons, crank and cam....but you better be right on for the timing after that, otherwise they'll fail you.  A vehicle over ten years old gets emissions tested every year.  Have fun.  I got my 78 through with no problems, but my daughter's 77 had leaks in the fuel tank.  After those were repaired, we passed no problem.  But, both cars have emissions and engine components that are original.  You also need the emissions sticker on the radiator core support.

Another thing, the highest octane we have is 91.  Depending on how the engine was built, you could experience knock.

The smog stations are statistically checked for failure rates.  If they continually come up with a low failure rate, they can lose their license.

The good news is that in some parts of rural California you don't need to get vehicles tested.

Here's how the test goes:
1.  They do a quick visual (you could slide by with the carb because the shaker hides it)
2.  They connect the sniffer (make sure the engine is hot..hot....hot)
3.  They run the sniff test at two different speeds
4.  They then check the timing
5.  They pinch off the vent hose at the canister, remove the fuel cap and install the pressure cap system and run the pressure test.
6.  They pressure test the cap.

That's it.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 09:32:17 AM by ta78w72 »

Offline LOMILETA

• Global Moderator
  • Adv. Member
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2008, 09:32:02 AM »
Keep your PA address, and title and tag the car there. LOL
1978 TA-462 ci Buick (just sold)
1980 Turbo Formula
1995 Grand Prix
2002 TA convertible

Offline Paxter

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2009, 02:25:19 AM »
I live in california, but took the smog out of my 78...thing is..my grandpa lives in Oregon so the car is in his name and I have oregon plates.  We'll see how long I can go without getting caught.  The only thing I hate about Cali is the restrictions on cars.  so..shhhhhhh
Kyle - 21
Owner of a 1978 Brown T/A
#'s 403 brought back to life 12-21-09
---------------------
Army Infantry- 101st (Air Assault)
HHC 3BCT/101

Offline Anderson0741

• Adv. Member
  • 1979Trans Am 4 Speed
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2009, 02:47:06 AM »
You could run the car on straight alcohal, get another firebird, and swap the vin, or somehow hide the real exhaust, and send an unattached exhaust pipe out the back. As for keeping the PA plates, you will need to drive it their everytime you need to get it registered I believe. 

Offline Paxter

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2009, 03:42:15 AM »
My grandpa did all the registering, we just sent the papers up to him and he took care of it.
Kyle - 21
Owner of a 1978 Brown T/A
#'s 403 brought back to life 12-21-09
---------------------
Army Infantry- 101st (Air Assault)
HHC 3BCT/101

Offline OzTambo

• Assistant Night Janitor
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2009, 11:45:58 PM »
ta78w72 is pretty much right however depending where you go they may want to do your timing electronically which killed me.. has to be 2 degrees of TDC... I am advanced about 22 degrees.. I am also running a 455 Olds instead of the 400 that it is suppose to have...

Do not worry too much..

Add catalytic converters for the day, mine pop out in about 30 minutes.. (3inch system)
Add smog gear if you do not have it.. mostly vacuum lines..
Run car for 30 minutes.. then go to old smog shop..

If that does not work hit me up I have a guy that will smog the car next to the one he is doing for an extra $50...

Ther are a bunch of Drag racing guys in OC and SD that guarantee to smog anything if ya willing to pay a few bucks... I personally go the $50 route and smog the car in the next bay works like a charm every year...
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 11:49:14 PM by OzTambo »

Offline 72blackbird

• Adv. Member
  • Old Birds don't die-they get faster, corner harder
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2009, 11:02:09 AM »
I bought my '76 T/A project car up in Oregon with plans of restoring it, and even possibly adding a 462 stroker (no engine or trans). But after finding out what I would need to get it smogged here in CA I nearly gave up- even started parting the car out.

Good thing you guys didn't buy all of my parts (only sold the nose and some interior parts)- I'm going to put a 77-78 nose and shaker hood on it and go ahead with my original plans to turn it into a Pro-tourer. If worst comes to worst and I can't get the car to pass or get the hook-up on smog, I'll take it back up to Oregon and get plates and tags up there (good to have family in a smog-exempt state).

Geno