Author Topic: Well I just pulled the trigger. The rebuild begins....LITTLE THINGS!  (Read 112029 times)

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
Re: Well I just pulled the trigger. The rebuild begins....LITTLE THINGS!
« Reply #675 on: April 24, 2012, 11:36:17 AM »
Sounds like it's in good shape for you overall....this should go much smoother for you :)

it has a 100mph speedo rather than the 79 obligitory 85mph unit.

May well be the original gauges...'79 still had the 100mph speedo as the 85mph started in '80
Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am
1986 Corvette

Offline Sir english firebird

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Adv. Member
  • Ohio Firebirds Member. proud to be
« Reply #676 on: May 21, 2012, 09:55:50 AM »
Hows things coming along Sim ?

Long time no speak.. still working your fingers to the bone ?
Power is nothing without Control.

Steve, :-)
1979 Trans am.

( no point in adding what else i keep changing them ! )

Offline Gunner

• Adv. Member
« Reply #677 on: May 24, 2012, 10:45:04 AM »
Hows things coming along Sim ?

Long time no speak.. still working your fingers to the bone ?

Yeah still hooked up out here in the oilfield...................

Ok English is right. Haven't posted much here lately, and I'm REALLY behind. Sorry about that folks. Lets take it from the top, chronologically.

One thing I did do. I ditched the carb on the engine for a F.A.S.T fuel injection system. From the reviews I've read, it got better mileage than a rochester carb on a smallblock 65 Chevelle in highway driving, So I jumped on that.I don't expect dramatic increases in fuel mileage by any means, but if it makes things easier, and helps feed the engine a little cheaper, hey I'm all about it. Atlantic Speed has the master kit, and if you're thinking about taking the plunge, I'd go there. It's about 300 bucks less than what the manufacturer wants (how they do THAT I don't know), but I got it all up for 1800 bucks. The master kit itself is really a better deal even though it costs more than the basic kit (300 bucs actually. Odd), but the basic kit does NOT include the fuel pressure regulator, high pressure fuel lines, the electric fuel pump (which is a 300 dollar item in itself). Here are the pics

OK this is how the kit was delivered. Three boxes.

This is the wiring harness thats included in the basic kit. It's the wiring harness for the the TBI, the handheld controller, and the computer controller for the basic system

This is the hand controller that you use to caliberate and manipulate the system. As I understand it you do NOT have to keep this hand controller plugged in AFTER YOU GET THE SYSTEM CALIBERATED. Once you get the system caliberated, you can unhook the hand controller and it will learn your engine itself. You can leave it plugged in, and adjust some parameters on the fly (it's recommended that you have the person ridiing shotgun with you doing that), but there are some parameters that you can adjust yourself, if you so choose

This is the computer itself. It's about the size of a deck of cards. According to the documentation you can install this anyplace you want to either under the hood or inside the cab in a hidden place

This is the thottle body itself. We've kind of eyeballed (haven't pulled it out of the plastic yet) but we THINK it WILL fit under a stock TA breather. Don't quote me on that part yet though.

Now this is what came in one of the auxillary boxes. This is the fuel pump, wiring harness, and fuel pressure regulator for the system. These are some of the added extras that make picking up the master system worth the extra 300 bucks

In this box is the fuel lines and connectors for the system. As I said it's easy to see for the extra 300 bucks you get a lot of value for money there

IF any of you ARE thinking about taking the plunge, the installation instructions are available for download from F.A.S.T website in PDF format. That way you can get some kind of idea what you're getting into BEFORE you get into it. The one thing that you do have to do is install a sensor behind your exhaust manifold. But it comes with the sensor, and all the mounting hardware, but it DOES have to be installed or the system WILL NOT WORK. Not a big deal though as finding regular leaded gasoline is impossible anymore anyway.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch:

They are stripping Grey down and getting ready to blast the body. I have some pics I shot before I went out on this job, but nothing that isn't at least 10 days old. Old Grey is actually in pretty good shape, but there is a little more rot in some unexpected places, but nothing that can't be fixed.

This is the drivers side floorpan. This is the ONLY rust on the floor. The rest of the floorpan still has stock paint on it.

Here is the rest of the floorpan

Now this is something we WEREN'T expecting. A little more rust on the firewall and on the roof pillars. From what I've been told, nothing that can't be fixed, but as we said, something that we weren't exactly expecting.

The thing about it is the body of the car looks like it's been Ziebarted by the deal when it was sold, as it has plastic plugs in the door jambs down by the rockers and in the back of the door jamb itself. I think the body itself is in REALLY good shape, it's just some minor stuff that needs to be fixed up. I guess what they say about the fit and finish of the 79's being less than stellar. It has the stock windshield in it, and it doesn't look like it ever sealed against the firewall, as you can see the black strip of sealing material at the bottom of the firewall, and you can see how it just didn't seal against the glass and water got up underneath it.

But that's where we stand folks, at least 9 days ago. There has been some progress made, but the missus hasn't shot me any pics so I'm not sure of the status yet. I'm sorry guys that I haven't been keeping this up as I should have. The last days off I had were..........well lets just say..........wild.......and things out here on this job have just now settled down. Sorry I've been absent guys.

Gunner

« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 10:48:52 AM by Gunner »
Better Living Through Superior Firepower

Offline ryeguy2006a

« Reply #678 on: May 24, 2012, 03:55:06 PM »
Good to see that you are making some progress here. You are getting all of the best parts for the car. Nice work.

Ryan

1976 Trans Am 406(.030 over) 4 speed, Dual Cooling fan, C5 front Brakes, Custom Rims
Build thread: http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=24465.0

Offline joe d

• Adv. Member
« Reply #679 on: May 24, 2012, 07:53:49 PM »
Hey Gunner, i have the same on my SE looks like some sort of acid spil on the cowl right on the cwl tag of course so my Y84 cowl tag is rotted about 1/2" and just at the 4 of y84
1979 ws6 trans am (current project)
2005 mercedes s55
2001 dodge durango
1980 SE trans am (new current project)
1971 Monte Carlo
the 5 p's "perfect planning prevents poor performance"

Offline 89flyboy

« Reply #680 on: May 26, 2012, 03:23:41 AM »
Sorry to hear you had to get another shell my friend. But it is good to see the project moving again.
I long for the peace that only driving a t/a can bring.

Offline Gunner

• Adv. Member
« Reply #681 on: May 26, 2012, 08:14:01 AM »
Sorry to hear you had to get another shell my friend. But it is good to see the project moving again.

Acutally I got a whole new CAR. It was all there. We're just pulling the old stuff off of Grey and we're gonna put the new stuff we ordered in it after we get it up in shape. I'm here to tell you I'm gonna have a YARD SALE when this is all over with.

Gunner

Offline N PRGRES

• Adv. Member
« Reply #682 on: May 27, 2012, 09:01:43 PM »
Lookin good Gunner!  THe FI system is cool.
Dave
_______
1981 Trans Am - Refresh in progress

Offline iceman

« Reply #683 on: May 28, 2012, 11:45:24 AM »
The tear down is both exciting and heartbreaking at the same time... For some reason I find it fun... All the stuff tucked back in the pockets and such... Hope all will work out for the better.. Mike
Check out my facebook page: River City Muscle LLC
1969 Pontiac GTO
1971 Pontiac LeMans Sport Convertible
1977 Pontiac Trans Am

Offline Gunner

• Adv. Member
« Reply #684 on: May 28, 2012, 01:03:57 PM »
Lookin good Gunner!  THe FI system is cool.

Well I HOPE it is...........dunno yet.........we'll see. I THINK it will be awesome, but looks can be deceiving ;D

Gunner

Offline Gunner

• Adv. Member
« Reply #685 on: May 28, 2012, 01:10:24 PM »
The tear down is both exciting and heartbreaking at the same time... For some reason I find it fun... All the stuff tucked back in the pockets and such... Hope all will work out for the better.. Mike

Well the thing is, this is the third time in this build. The first time was when we tore down White when we thought it was saveable. The second time was when we pulled Green over here after we found the body was cashed out. I HOPE...........HOPE...........THIS is the final time we have to do this, and this is the end of the teardowns. I think it will be actually.

One nice thing about Grey (the car we're building now). It looks like it was Ziebart-ed from the dealer so I think it's in pretty good shape overall. When they pulled it apart they found a 2000 quarter and a 2006 penny, so I think the car hasn't been off the road for that long. I know the 403 in it RUNS (the guys I have working on the car started it up and it ran as long as it had gas), but other than that I don't know what kind of shape the engine is in (which doesn't really make that much difference either as I have a nice fresh rebuilt 400 Pontiac thats going back in it). But I think we have a much better starting point this time than we've had before.

Gunner