Author Topic: Venting about my 79 S.E. re-paint  (Read 10009 times)

Offline Simplicity

• Ohio Firebirds
Re: Venting about my 79 S.E. re-paint
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2008, 09:04:41 PM »
Sorry to hear about your troubles, Starsky.
Angela

Offline Starsky

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2008, 06:08:50 PM »
Thanks for all the replies
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 10:17:51 AM by Starsky »
9 Special Edition per PHS
403 T-Top

Offline Helter80

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2008, 07:21:17 PM »
Thanks for all the replies. As of today, I learned that the parts I was told where ordered, were not. "Richard" said he ordered them through a dealer but then just learned the dealer doesnt stock them. No kidding....what dealer stocks parts for a 79? So after hearing a bunch of excuses I asked for the owner to call me. I got a call from "Tommy" the owner and I politley outlined my outrage at having been strung along for 4 months on a repaint. That it was unacceptable and that I have been more than patient and now its time for action. So Tommy heard me out and agreed I got screwed. He said he will take personal charge of my car and fix the blemish on the shaker, on the mirror by Wednesday. I will order the parts and he will deduct the cost from the price. He will also have my wheels polished at no cost between now and wednesday to help make up for my frustration. I will do a surprise visit on Tuesday to make sure things are happening.     

i would let this be his last "straw". if upon your surprise visit you see that nothing still has been done to your car, i would pull the car out of there. good luck with your situation, i hope it works out for the best.
www.transamplus.com
Rob

79 Trans Am- Nocturne Blue,T-Tops,403,Camel Tan Deluxe Interior

Offline Hitman

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://www.78ta.com
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2008, 12:02:05 PM »
I know what you are going through and I have been there on both ends of your story.  I have been the one who was waiting on the body shop or engine shop to do work and it go 6 months beyond the time frame set forth up front.  I have also had a company do body work and engine work and charge me $14,000, then 8 months later and $14,000 later the car was only in primer and engine was not even touched.  Then they wanted another $10,000 to finish the car.  Needless to say, I took the car away from them and lost $10,000 out of my pocket (which I could not charge the customer for) and moved on.  The company went out of business so the law suit was dead in the water.  That was an expensive lesson for me to go through.  So I have been on your side of the fence.  I have also been on the other side of the fence where I was telling people it was going to be a certain time frame and it ended up going alot longer.  Sometimes the "gremlins" in the car put up road blocks that have to be stumbled upon to find.  Now I will also tell you that if you rush them to get the car done, you will get the "rush-job" at the end result.  meaning, if there is problems with the paint and you rush them to finish it, they will do it the cheap way to get it done.  It will look good when it is done, but within a few months you will see that short cut come out in the paint.  Meaning that if they take the cheap way out and just try to re-paint a small section and blend it in, then that layer of clear will start to wear away from washing and waxing and you will see exactly where they blended the paint.  So, you really are at a "catch 22" and it is tough to get out of.  Having a "sit-down" with the owner and going over everything in a civilized manner is what needs to be done and put everything down in writing of what was discussed and what is expected..... quality of work and time frame needs to be stipulated and written down.  It is a tough thing to be in and leaves a bitter taste in your mouth when it is done, but the fact is, you are in the middle of it now and there is no easy way out.  So, I feel your pain and you need to stick with it and follow it through to the end.

I think Hitman may be the only guy out there!  
Jeff

I am out there, but even I am not perfect and have delays and problems.  I try to do my best and try to be honest with everyone up front and tell them what to expect.  I even do that with the parts that I sell because I am at the mercy of the parts suppliers.  But I state up front "Hey, this could take up to six weeks" and if it comes in less, great, but if not, I let them know up front what it may take.  So, like I said, I am not perfect, but I try to be honest with everyone.
Brett Campbell
"Hitman"
www.78ta.com
1978 Trans Am

Offline Gunner

• Adv. Member
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2008, 12:09:17 PM »
I am out there, but even I am not perfect and have delays and problems.  I try to do my best and try to be honest with everyone up front and tell them what to expect.  I even do that with the parts that I sell because I am at the mercy of the parts suppliers.  But I state up front "Hey, this could take up to six weeks" and if it comes in less, great, but if not, I let them know up front what it may take.  So, like I said, I am not perfect, but I try to be honest with everyone.

Why do you think we're talking about working on my vehicle. Your reputation preceededs you ;)

Gunner
Better Living Through Superior Firepower

Offline Starsky

« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2008, 05:23:27 AM »
Your right Hitman. Thats kinda how I have been dealing with it. I knew up front his estimate of 2 weeks was not practical. I told him I wanted it done right verses wanting it done fast. However it has been a struggle getting the "next Friday" line over and over.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 10:18:28 AM by Starsky »
403 T-Top

Offline brian c

• Lifetime Member
  • Ohio Firebirds Member
    • Y88 Resto
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2008, 07:26:16 AM »
From a guy who's been there already....if it's 90% complete and you're getting no joy in getting it finished...PULL IT!

Your story is so close to what I went through on my Y88 that its scary. Honest.

That last 10% can be done by you, friends, or another shop.

1978 Y88, '70 455 HO block bored 0.060, TH350, 3.42:1 gears...Oct '08 Fbodywarehouse Calendar - Woot!
1980 Firebird - no engine/tranny... to be pacecar clone

Offline Helter80

« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2008, 09:22:03 AM »
From a guy who's been there already....if it's 90% complete and you're getting no joy in getting it finished...PULL IT!

Your story is so close to what I went through on my Y88 that its scary. Honest.

That last 10% can be done by you, friends, or another shop.

thats exactly what i did with my T/A. the body shop took 4 months instead of 2 to 3 weeks like they said when i dropped the car off. (they didnt even have any other cars in the shop to work on except mine when i dropped it off)
the outside door handles were so loose they were about to fall off, so i tightened them myself, AND.......
they screwed up my hood bird, and the decal on the rear spoiler, the put it on the top, instead of the lower part and they left it like that. so i pulled the car, stiffed the body shop on $500 off of the price that i was supposed to pay him,
and i took the car to a decal/window tinting place near my house and they removed both decals and placed new ones on 100 percent perfect.  -i also had to pay and extra $300 for the 2nd set of decals because the body shop screwed them up when they put them on.

SO, yes, if the car is 90 percent done.....PULL IT. thats exactly what i did, and not to sound like a bragger, but my car ended up being beautiful after i took care of the finishing touches.   :)
www.transamplus.com
Rob

Offline Starsky

« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2008, 05:59:22 AM »
At least it looks great, though it took long enough
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 10:19:11 AM by Starsky »
403 T-Top

Offline Gunner

• Adv. Member
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2008, 11:06:53 AM »
I went to the shop today and had a sit down with the owner. I had a itemized list and chronological history of what has happened since I brought the car in. I gave him a copy and we went over it. After a discussion of what my expectations were, and where his shop (He) failed in those expectations, we summarized where we are at in this project. I have to be fair and say that initially, his shop did a lot of prep work on the car. They hand sanded two and a half coats of paint off (the car had been painted a total of 3 times when I got it.) I believe the prep work was  pretty good for the most part. However his shop dropped the ball in the paint stage. He and I both went around the car today with a yellow grease pencil, taking turns identifying trash in the paint. Mostly on the hood, and trunk. At this point he decided that he is going to eat his profit  and re sand and paint the car again. He said he is going to have an outsider he knows from another business work with him on it to do the resand and paint. He called the guy while I was there and made arrangements for him to come over and give an estimate. I am having to order new decals and pinstriping which he will deduct from the balance I owe him. 
The car looks very good from 5 ft away. Its just frustrating that had they taken a little time to begin with it would have been great the first time. Now they have to start over on the paint. 
Option B would be to pull the car now. However there is zero chance another body shop will repaint the car for what is left that I owe the guy. It will cost me time lost driving the car to give this shop another shot. So I guess thats what I'll do for now.

Well, I know it's frustrating going though what you're going though, but now that you've reached the top, at least the head guy there is trying to make it right for you. If I were you, I'd let them take another swing at it, but I'd tell the Big Kahuna there that if it isn't right this time, you're going to pull it.

Gunner
Better Living Through Superior Firepower

Offline Starsky

« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2008, 03:57:17 PM »
So I get a call from the owner. He says the outsourced guy showed up to inspect my car. He immediatly says "The Birds wrong" and proceeds to tell the shop owner the bird head is facing the wrong way, it should be facing the drivers side.
This is the phoenix graphix bird I got from this site... So you tell me... Is this starting off on the wrong foot or what? I don't know if his confusing my 79 bird with a 77 bird means he isnt a good body/painter, but I sure wish he hadn't said that..
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 10:20:06 AM by Starsky »
403 T-Top

Offline Helter80

« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2008, 04:00:16 PM »
So I get a call from the owner. He says the outsourced guy showed up to inspect my car. He immediatly says "The Birds wrong" and proceeds to tell the shop owner the bird head is facing the wrong way, it should be facing the drivers side. And also its a cheap imitation because its not vinyl and should be outlined in black, not clear. Thats the reason it has crinkles in it, its not a quality reproduction...

This is the phoenix graphix bird I got from this site... So you tell me... Is this starting off on the wrong foot or what? I don't know if his confusing my 79 bird with a 77 bird means he isnt a good body/painter, but I sure wish he hadn't said that..

honestly, i think they are coming up with lies to tell you so they will not re-do the car.......even if there actually IS an "outsourced" guy. they seem to just be playing you around. including the owner. i'd pull the car and try to take legal action wth small claims court
www.transamplus.com
Rob

Offline N PRGRES

• Adv. Member
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2008, 05:24:14 PM »
Sounds like they are messing with you.  Looking at Helters pic his bird is facing the pass side, as does mine.
Dave
_______
1981 Trans Am - Refresh in progress

Offline jphillips3333

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2008, 06:12:43 PM »
Sounds like this "expert" would also think you're running a Chevy small block.  Me thinks he's not a Trans Am guy ... probably less attention to detail, trying to sell the owner you talked to on his "qualifications".

Give 'em some time I guess.

Probably the lesson learned here is to find somebody that appreciates the cars - knows that it's not a Camaro.

So I get a call from the owner. He says the outsourced guy showed up to inspect my car. He immediatly says "The Birds wrong" and proceeds to tell the shop owner the bird head is facing the wrong way, it should be facing the drivers side. And also its a cheap imitation because its not vinyl and should be outlined in black, not clear. Thats the reason it has crinkles in it, its not a quality reproduction...

John

1 of 1107                     1 of 37,015                    1 of 1817

Offline pat

• Adv. Member
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2008, 06:15:37 PM »
i am sorry to hear this. i am glad i do all my own work
speed kills drive a ford and live forever