Author Topic: The Problems Continue...My new 1971 Trans Am  (Read 35755 times)

Offline oldskoolubr

• Adv. Member
Re: The Problems Continue...My new 1971 Trans Am
« Reply #150 on: April 15, 2012, 01:37:37 AM »
Dude Just see it thru!  If the Fire didn't stop you then I think you can "Get Er Done!"

Offline ShakerBreaker

• Adv. Member
  • All Hail Phil Anselmo
« Reply #151 on: April 15, 2012, 01:45:37 AM »
Rockers ?
-check out DOWN-NOLA.com

Offline ShakerBreaker

• Adv. Member
  • All Hail Phil Anselmo
« Reply #152 on: April 15, 2012, 01:53:28 AM »
Yeah Boss-   If this guy took the time to adjust your valve train (rocker comment), re- set timing, adjust carb and do other trouble shooting for you----- that sounds great.
Like Tin suggest, try to stick with one mechanic.
Ask questions to anything you don't understand.

As for that '71 being built for one thing (1/4 mile).
It's not!!!
That's a good thing.
You may have a health motor with a thick cam and a taller gear (like a 3.73 or 4.11).
But that car is NOT a drag car. Far from it!!!!!!!!!!
Again be glad it's not.
It's worth more how it is (and it's sweet- wish it was mine).
You wouldn't be driving a 1/4 drag car down the interstate.
One little bug at a time and your '71 will be your dream car.

I have to be honest with you, my Trans Am loving heart bleed when that fire happened.
Good save.  Be proud of that and keep plugging away at your dream Trans Am.
She's just trying to educate you a little at a time. Bigger cammed cars are fussy.
If this last mechanic is willing to take time to explain tuning and have you get your hands involvef----I would strongly
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 02:13:08 AM by ShakerBreaker »
-check out DOWN-NOLA.com

Offline Striker

« Reply #153 on: April 15, 2012, 02:05:39 AM »
Yeah the car is a runner. Its not all trimmed out for racing but the engine has been prepped dor it.  i dont.want a racecar. just a nice driver witj decent power
1971 Lucerne Blue Trans Am   455

Offline oldskoolubr

• Adv. Member
« Reply #154 on: April 15, 2012, 02:13:39 AM »
Yeah the car is a runner. Its not all trimmed out for racing but the engine has been prepped dor it.  i dont.want a racecar. just a nice driver witj decent power

Don't WE ALL! ::)

Offline ShakerBreaker

• Adv. Member
  • All Hail Phil Anselmo
« Reply #155 on: April 15, 2012, 02:43:25 AM »
Sorry about the cell phone malfunction.
What I was trying to say is--- these older carb cars are like your girlfriend/wife.
You have to be touching them to understand them.
The more you touch her, the more she will open up to you.
Now with a bigger cam involved with a carbed car----
That's like the bitch side of your girlfriend/wife .
You will need to know how tune and adjust her to a happy medium.
If you don't figure it out, you always have to take her to another man to get her under control for you. I'm shaking my head "hell no" right now.
-check out DOWN-NOLA.com

Offline Striker

« Reply #156 on: April 15, 2012, 03:12:30 AM »
Sorry about the cell phone malfunction.
What I was trying to say is--- these older carb cars are like your girlfriend/wife.
You have to be touching them to understand them.
The more you touch her, the more she will open up to you.
Now with a bigger cam involved with a carbed car----
That's like the bitch side of your girlfriend/wife .
You will need to know how tune and adjust her to a happy medium.
If you don't figure it out, you always have to take her to another man to get her under control for you. I'm shaking my head "hell no" right now.

Thanks!  Ya that fire tore me apart too, but luckily was able to save it. I know its not "Race Ready" for the 1/4 mile, and I dont want it to be. I would like a little more power than my 76 had, but I do not need what this car has right now. I really want to take it to the Strip to just see what she has in her before I take it down a little bit.  We have really calmed the engine down a little bit already. I mean at idle, that thing would shake like you wouldn't believe. Now it needs a new gear, and hopefully She will be good to go.

Like I have said, this is my dream car and I will do whatever it takes to get her running the rigt way! Ive already been through a lot with it in 45 days and can't wait to finally get it dialed in! Thanks for the reply!!!

Offline norwood

« Reply #157 on: April 15, 2012, 10:31:50 AM »
I am VERY surprised at some of the answers that I am reading.  We have an inexperienced guy here with a BIG problem and some of you guys are doing nothing but making fun of him.  There is not a  Trans Am owner out there that would not love to have this car, including me.

I think that either your mechanic friend is not explaining things well or you are not listening well.

The first thing you need to do is determine the health of the engine.  Take a compression test and make sure it is in spec.  If the compression is all good  I would take it out for a long drive  like a hour or so at highway speeds and burn all  that oil out of the exhaust.  This will at least allow you to discount residual oil is the problem.

If the problem persists after doing this I   would look at the valve seals and guides.   

These are machines and there are reasons for what happens.

Your mechanic did not  physically cheak any pistons as this would require him to disassemble the engine.  All Pontiac engines have rockers.  Timing is done to the  ignition.  Idle mixture is done to the carb.

Its going to be a great day early here in Chicago, go drive it and burn out that residual oil and ENJOY.
OUR DAY IS COMING SOON

Offline Striker

« Reply #158 on: April 15, 2012, 11:04:50 AM »
I am VERY surprised at some of the answers that I am reading.  We have an inexperienced guy here with a BIG problem and some of you guys are doing nothing but making fun of him.  There is not a  Trans Am owner out there that would not love to have this car, including me.

I think that either your mechanic friend is not explaining things well or you are not listening well.

The first thing you need to do is determine the health of the engine.  Take a compression test and make sure it is in spec.  If the compression is all good  I would take it out for a long drive  like a hour or so at highway speeds and burn all  that oil out of the exhaust.  This will at least allow you to discount residual oil is the problem.

If the problem persists after doing this I   would look at the valve seals and guides.   

These are machines and there are reasons for what happens.

Your mechanic did not  physically cheak any pistons as this would require him to disassemble the engine.  All Pontiac engines have rockers.  Timing is done to the  ignition.  Idle mixture is done to the carb.

Its going to be a great day early here in Chicago, go drive it and burn out that residual oil and ENJOY.

Thanks Norwood! I know I am "Stupid" at this stuff, but I will learn one day haha!  I am pretty sure my mechanic explained things correctly, but Its honestly all over my head at this point. I wish I knew more, and in time I will. Thanks again and I hope to see you at some of the shows this year!

Ryan
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 11:12:46 AM by Striker »

Offline joe d

• Adv. Member
« Reply #159 on: April 15, 2012, 11:11:31 AM »
you are NOT stupid Ryan, you are just lacking some knowledge and quite honestly there is nothing wrong with that, ask the mechanic/mechanics to either write down their findings or explain in laymans language, did you get my PM? one of the first pics clearly shows this problem is after you purchased it
1979 ws6 trans am (current project)
2005 mercedes s55
2001 dodge durango
1980 SE trans am (new current project)
1971 Monte Carlo
the 5 p's "perfect planning prevents poor performance"

Offline Striker

« Reply #160 on: April 15, 2012, 11:13:44 AM »
you are NOT stupid Ryan, you are just lacking some knowledge and quite honestly there is nothing wrong with that, ask the mechanic/mechanics to either write down their findings or explain in laymans language, did you get my PM? one of the first pics clearly shows this problem is after you purchased it

Yes I did Joe! Thank You! You are Awesome!

Offline norwood

« Reply #161 on: April 15, 2012, 11:36:36 AM »
Everyone and I mean everyone started out with NO KNOWLEGE, that is not "stupid"  that is  inexperienced.  You will learn how this stuff works, its not as they say rocket science.  Just keep at it and don't be afraid of it and certainly ask questions.  There are plenty here with plenty of knowledge to help.
OUR DAY IS COMING SOON

Offline Tin Indians Rule

• Tech Staff
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://home.comcast.net/~rwhitejr/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html
« Reply #162 on: April 15, 2012, 11:37:34 AM »
Norwoods post (although most had already been said in the previous 10 pages) really got me to thinking.

The part about it's a great day here in Chicago!!! Perhaps if you two live close to one another, he would be nice enough to check the car out for you. Shouldn't honestly take that long to do the checks we all suggested and he more than certainly sounds like he knows what he is talking about. It would remove the "he said, she said" from the posting and maybe give you a good "go to" guy thats a straight shooter and knows his stuff.

For 10 pages we have suggested (some taken, some not) clean the exhaust, take it for a long drive, check the lines, perhaps its the valves, guides, take it to a mechanic, remove the exhaust, etc etc etc....I think we have covered all we are able to (based on both parties skill set) without laying hands on the car.
What's she wearing now? Come on!
1976 Black 455 4 speed (current project)
1976 White 400 Auto (original)
F-body stuff stashed everywhere.
Always buying/selling/trading  just ask!

Offline joe d

• Adv. Member
« Reply #163 on: April 15, 2012, 11:51:06 AM »
yup, well put
1979 ws6 trans am (current project)
2005 mercedes s55
2001 dodge durango
1980 SE trans am (new current project)
1971 Monte Carlo
the 5 p's "perfect planning prevents poor performance"

Offline norwood

« Reply #164 on: April 15, 2012, 12:41:59 PM »
Be happy to, lets see your on the Southside and I'm in the far west burbs, Chicago is really BIG.   

But this defeats what I'm talking about.  Get a Chiltons go to Sears and get a compresion gauge and do it.

joe d I'm on my way to your hood to play some hockey on Wed to Mon.
OUR DAY IS COMING SOON