Author Topic: I finally got a T/A and ....  (Read 4709 times)

Offline Maximus

I finally got a T/A and ....
« on: May 02, 2019, 01:43:42 PM »
Hi all... This forum is great. New kid on the block here and I know just enough to be dangerous, so this site will help immensely.
I just picked up my first Trans Am over the weekend and after driving all day to check it out, I wasn't in the right frame of mind when it came to the sell. The body, interior, undercarriage and engine all looked great but when I asked to start it I knew I just got craiglisted. I was told the starter was bad and that was it, so I took their word for it,  trailered it home at the full asking price (8K), and replaced the starter with a Summitt Mini the next day. It started up and engine was rough and missing somewhere and after running compression test, I found #5 cylinder had about half the compression as the others in this supposedly pumped up 400.
I thought about replacing the engine and tranny to an LS, or a pumped up 5.3 or 6.0/6.2, but after reading a lot of the info here, a lot of the guys here keep the 400 and maybe go with fuel injection. I'm looking for some reliability, maybe 17-20 mpg, and a smooth somewhat quiet driver with some horsepower. The guy that had this car before looks like he had it designed for 1/4 mile and with just the flowmasters on it, it sounds like an earthquake is happening when I start it up in the neighborhood.
If the engine is fixable at a cheap price maybe a fuel injection system is the way to go, but if it's costs a couple grand to repair I might as well spend another 3-5k on a complete swap.

Please chime in... Any info is appreciated... And it's ok to call me a dumb-a** for not driving or starting it before I handed them the cash. My wife has been doing that for a week now  ;D....LOL

Offline Maximus

Re: I finally got a T/A and ....
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2019, 03:01:00 PM »
Sorry...Forgot to mention that this is a 1978 Automatic with a turbo 350 trans

Offline Nexus

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2019, 10:24:56 PM »
Right on....Congrats on the new purchase even if you did get swindled a bit.

Are you sure it's the 400 and not the 403?

usually the automatics came with the 403 Olds and the manual tranny cars came with a 400...but...anything with these cars is possible....I would lean toward fixing this engine as it would be the eiest route to take but there are plenty of LS swapped cars out there

also...we do require some photos of the car for eye candy purposes of coure!!
Charlie
1979 - Esprit (21 years and counting)

Offline LWS78SE

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2019, 04:42:56 PM »
I just saw your post. If it is a 400 and it runs and doesn't knock ,bang or carry-on, I'd rebuild it. There is nothing like a vintage V-8. ;D ;D
"What we're dealin' with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law!"