Author Topic: hi speed blower lead  (Read 1912 times)

gotsmoke?

hi speed blower lead
« on: June 17, 2007, 11:14:30 PM »
My blower motor runs correctly on all switch positions except high.  This has been the case since I have owned the car.  I looked at the relay harness and found that the big red lead (10-12 gauge) was loose from the blower motor relay harness.  I plug it back in and followed the lead to the other end and it was not plugged into anything, although it has a clip and does not end in a cut wire.  This is a single red lead (number 2 in the service manual) that has no place to plug up.  I did run a jumper to the open lead and it does control "high" on the blower motor.  The service manual shows that this lead is either run off of the a/c compressor harness or maybe to the back of the alternator, I am not sure but I think it is the later one of the two.  I know the fan will draw high amps and must have a serious lead to keep from frying.  Can some one point me in the right direction?  This is a 1979 TA, with a W72.  Thanks!

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
Re: hi speed blower lead
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 09:26:05 AM »
It looks like a three piece situation.  The wire coming from the high blower relay goes to a connector that feeds the A/C compressor.  That harness also continues the red wire towards the alternator.  Then it connects to another harness that attaches to the alternator.  Make sense?  Check out 1B-5 in the service manual for the diagram.

Edit:  I misread the diagram.  The second harness has one lead to the starter and one towards the alternator.  At least that's what it looks like to me.  My harnesses are encased in wire looms so I can't see much.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2007, 10:35:57 AM by ta78w72 »