Author Topic: Tilt column and car starting  (Read 1074 times)

Offline gasman2b93

Tilt column and car starting
« on: May 06, 2016, 07:54:47 PM »
I've encountered and issue the my 75 Trans Am and the tilt steering column.  I drove the car all day, washed it, and was going to put it in the garage and it wouldn't start.  I turned the key and it didn't even make a "clicking" noise.  All the lights, radio, etc are working fine.  The tilt was in the top position.  I sat in the seat, put the tilt down to my driving position and the car fired right up.  I repeated this again and the car wouldn't turn over when the tilt was in the top position, any ideas on why?  Thanks

Offline NOT A TA

Re: Tilt column and car starting
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2016, 11:03:21 PM »
Probably need to adjust the backdrive linkage. It's probably not moving the collar on the column quite far enough counterclockwise and moving the tilt is "just enough" to cause the neutral safety switch to prevent starting.

Try this.... Put the tilt up where it won't start and double check the no start. Then without moving the tilt turn the collar on the steering column where a column mounted shifter would be counterclockwise with your hands. Then try to start the engine.
John Paige

Dear Not A TA,
This is Tin Indian's wife. Would you please stop posting pictures of your car? Especially ones with er, ummm, sidepipes. I'm dizzy already and have to get up early in the morning.  :-X