Author Topic: 1978 Firebird formula restoration project  (Read 2549 times)

Offline 78Fireturd

1978 Firebird formula restoration project
« on: May 16, 2016, 02:10:11 PM »
I am 15 and have just recently bought my firebird. It is in rough shape and I have gotten it running but it is still far from done. As I am trying to pay for everything my budget is tight and I am open to any suggestions anyone has to offer. It has the original 350 that was rebuilt 10 or so years ago a mild cam and a 3 speed automatic transmission. I am hoping to get a manual transmission and rebuild the engine any help on this idea is welcomed. I have rebuilt the rear drum brakes and not inspected the front disc yet if there is any advice for when I decide to work with the front disc please write. There is also major rust in the trunk and floor pan. This will be a full restoration over the next 3 years of highschool but I am planning to try and daily drive this by next year so any help or tips from someone with experience I would grately appreciate. Also any creative ideas for paint,exaust,engine bay...etc would be appreciated. I will list all the parts I have replaced as well. Alternator, Serpentine belts, battery,both rear drum brakes, fuel lines,spark plugs, spark plug wires, distributer cap, ignition switch.

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
Re: 1978 Firebird formula restoration project
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2016, 02:25:19 PM »
Get it running and on the road and your license. Start with the basics like service and tune it and make sure the brakes are good. You won't be doing a restoration  on a limited budget. No point doing things by halves only to redo it again properly later at more expense than if done the first time.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 02:28:26 PM by Aus78Formula »

Offline 78Fireturd

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2016, 02:30:16 PM »
It is currently running but before I get my liscence I would like to have it restored to the point where it can be practically used daily and looks nice.

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2016, 01:25:08 PM »
Start on the rust, and get the car roadworthy or 3 yrs from now you'll have finished HS and the car long forgotten. Does the engine even need a rebuild, again? Swapping to a manual can be a hard work even if you have all the correct parts, you'll end having to replace more than just a gearbox.

Offline Dark T/A

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2016, 03:50:11 PM »
Get the car safe to drive first. you covered basics it seems,  finish brakes and bleed system. then check electrical and verify you lights and turn signals. Post some pictures when you can.
-Rick