Author Topic: 77 motor, 80 car, pontiac 400...which shaker? sorry..posted in general too.  (Read 2567 times)

Offline stonewall61

• Brad
WOOOOHOOO!!!!!! I'm finally back in the saddle!! Saturday, I just picked up an 80 T/A with a 77 motor, but the car has no shaker... the poor carb is open to the elements... no cleaner, no base no nothing! I've got alot to do to the car, but first off I'd at least like to give her a complete shaker..... I've read the posts on here on which years they changed the shaker sizes, but, being it's a 77 motor and an 80 car... which should i go with? Edelbrock 600 carb mounted straight to the intake..... from what i read, i need the shaker thats centered and not offset... but which base? Thanks guys.. also, i've seen quite a few shaker set ups for sale local and on ebay, but none of them have the stud that goes into the carb on which everything is tightened....... my carb does not have the stud...... can i just get a generic one thats threaded (all thread) correct and use it or does it need to be something special?

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
yes you can get a piece of all thread and use that....i would go with a 79 400 base...that way if there is any alignment which i doubt.....it will match up since the 79-81 all had the same body panels....all the 400 motors are identical in how high they sit and everything...the only difference is the intake and carb you might be running so that could cause problems....
Eroc
Fixing the car that Restore A Muscle Car jacked up....

Offline stonewall61

• Brad
COOL!!  I'm aweful glad to hear that!!(and hope you know what you're talkin about) ;-) cause it just so happens that I ordered a '79 shaker from a 400 yesterday off ebay! I'll grab some all thread and see what happens. Thanks man!

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
Re: 77 motor, 80 car, pontiac 400...which shaker? sorry..posted in general too.
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2007, 05:02:38 PM »
hahaha yes i do know what im talking about, i have a few cars....and one has had a system worked to it for the shaker setup...
Eroc
Fixing the car that Restore A Muscle Car jacked up....

Offline stonewall61

• Brad
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2007, 07:13:31 PM »
hahaha... okay, i guess we're straight! ;-) well, we'll see what happens, the shaker should be here sometime this week...... and promptly installed 10 minutes after that... ;-) ... it has an edelbrock 600 on it with a 1/2" spacer underneath..... i tried to take the spacer off today, but realized it was installed originally to allow the butterflies to function proper....... so i hope that wont kill the fit of the shaker cause it has to be there... unless i just want to idle eveywhere....... ;-)

Offline Rick

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2007, 11:19:30 PM »
So...how'd it work? :-\

Offline stonewall61

• Brad
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2007, 08:47:37 AM »
Would you believe i havent gotten it yet? It'll be two weeks tomorrow and no word, no tracking number no shaker.... but they sure have my money......... i'm not callin it a loss yet, just sure wish i could get a reply or some info.......