Author Topic: 1980 Trans Am Shaker Hood Scoop  (Read 2432 times)

Offline rschwass

1980 Trans Am Shaker Hood Scoop
« on: August 14, 2018, 12:47:13 PM »
Hello,

New To the site. I'm restoring a 1980 Trans Am, it has an Olds 403 with a 4bbl Quadrajet in it. My Shaker Hood Scoop does not sit centered in the Hood Scoop opening when I close the hood. It actually sits offset to the passenger side of the hood scoop opening almost one inch. Ant thoughts on what the problem is and suggestions on how to correct will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Rich

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
Re: 1980 Trans Am Shaker Hood Scoop
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2018, 09:55:57 PM »
The oldsmobile 403 is an offset engine. To allow it to fit a shaker in a standard TA hood it used an offset aircleaner base to allow the shaker to sit centrally. Given that it's not an original engine in a 1980 model it would be likely that it has existing air cleaner base, or at least not the right one.

Offline rschwass

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2018, 09:54:57 AM »
Thanks for the info on the offset air cleaner base for the Olds 403 in my 80 T/A.
I have been looking on e-bay for an offset air cleaner base, however the only offset base I'm finding is offset front to back and will push the shaker scoop to far forward.
If anyone has any pictures of the correct offset base I need or knows where to get one Please advise, I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks.

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2018, 10:08:30 AM »
The shaker is also specific to the engine it is to suit, not so much the casting which could suit several, but the adapter riveted to it. Having a mismatch there would also create an issue.

It is easy to identify either simply by looking at them. The shaker needs to be removed, whereas the aircleaner base is fairly easy to see.

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2018, 10:26:41 AM »
Here's a 78-79 403 Olds aircleaner base

403 aircleaner restored1 by Aus78Formula, on Flickr

403 aircleaner restored2 by Aus78Formula, on Flickr

Here's the 403 Olds shaker base with offset adaptor, not just to one side but also moving the shaker back from aircleaner mount.

shaker3 seal3 by Aus78Formula, on Flickr

Offline rschwass

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2018, 01:20:47 PM »
Thanks for sending the pictures of the Shaker Scoop air cleaner base.
Something's not adding up right, per the pictures this air cleaner base would push the shaker scoop more to the passenger side of the hood opening then it already is. I need to move the scoop to the drivers side of the hood opening.