Author Topic: Just how important is the....................  (Read 5697 times)

Offline jphillips3333

• Lifetime Member
Re: Just how important is the....................
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2010, 07:49:27 PM »
Hold on to 'em, someone will see your thread.  I need to find someone with more guts than me to help me rip off the front suspension and I'll be calling, I'm sure.
John

1 of 1107                     1 of 37,015                    1 of 1817

Offline y88rick

• Lifetime Member
  • f bodies suck. Don't buy one lol
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2010, 10:52:30 AM »
limey, my sway bar will be coming out next winter for a new bushing set up incase i run into that problem, where did you get them?
Too many birds, not enough food.

Offline 78ta

• The 8 track and gauge/stereo console adapter guy.
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2010, 11:35:55 PM »
Boy, what a pain they were!!!  I have a whole box of rivnuts for this problem.  If any of you guys need some, please let me know, as it would be my pleasure to send them to you.  Good old GM, this was a real PITA for me when I rebuilt the front end of my TA.  Happy New Year to y'all :)
Limey,
I thought Rainman said that a special tool was required to install the rinvuts? Did you install them "correctly" with out any special tools?
Randy

Offline '78 LadyBird

• Adv. Member
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2010, 05:37:34 AM »
Those are it Limey!  
Do I have to still take pictures for ya John? ;)
Proud owner of
1978 Silver TA WS6/W72
1984 Firebird S/E
2000 Firehawk, #696
1954 Ford Skyliner

New Pictures added...
LINK TO OUR GALLERY
http://www.78ta.com/gallery2/main.php/v/See+Ya/

Heidi

Offline limey

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2010, 07:38:25 AM »
Boy, what a pain they were!!!  I have a whole box of rivnuts for this problem.  If any of you guys need some, please let me know, as it would be my pleasure to send them to you.  Good old GM, this was a real PITA for me when I rebuilt the front end of my TA.  Happy New Year to y'all :)
Limey,
I thought Rainman said that a special tool was required to install the rinvuts? Did you install them "correctly" with out any special tools?

I purchased the rivnuts at Grainger Supply.  I have sent some out to fellow members, but do have a few left.  I don't have a rivnut tool, so I used this.

http://www.fjr1300.info/howto/rivnut-tool.html

It worked great, just a little tricky while laying on your back.  Two full turns collapsed the rivnuts perfectly.  Again, my buddy helped me out, he's installed these frequently on aircraft.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 07:44:05 AM by limey »
79 Heritage Brown, 400 4spd, #'s matching. 1 of 2917.

Offline 78ta

« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2010, 09:45:55 AM »
Boy, what a pain they were!!!  I have a whole box of rivnuts for this problem.  If any of you guys need some, please let me know, as it would be my pleasure to send them to you.  Good old GM, this was a real PITA for me when I rebuilt the front end of my TA.  Happy New Year to y'all :)
Limey,

I purchased the rivnuts at Grainger Supply.  I have sent some out to fellow members, but do have a few left.  I don't have a rivnut tool, so I used this.

http://www.fjr1300.info/howto/rivnut-tool.html

It worked great, just a little tricky while laying on your back.  Two full turns collapsed the rivnuts perfectly.  Again, my buddy helped me out, he's installed these frequently on aircraft.

Interesting. Thank you Limey for taking the time to post this info. I'm sure a lot of people will benefit from this tip.
I have no idea if the two cars I have will even need these whenever I get around to restoring the suspension but how much would 4 rivnuts run me shipped to Louisville, KY 40299?

Moderators.... for some reason, no matter what I do, the site is including my reply within the quote area.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 07:42:09 PM by 78ta »
Randy

Offline Rick

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2010, 01:04:37 PM »
Moderators.... for some reason, no matter what I do, the site is including my reply within the quote area.

Make sure that your reply is posted after the LAST "[/quote]" in the string.  If it's before that point (before the last [ ]), then it will be in the quoted stuff.

Offline limey

« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2010, 07:07:41 PM »
78ta, nada.  I'm running a special right now, free shipping, free rivnuts, until they are gone :) Let me know.
79 Heritage Brown, 400 4spd, #'s matching. 1 of 2917.

Offline 78ta

« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2010, 09:15:27 PM »
78ta, nada.  I'm running a special right now, free shipping, free rivnuts, until they are gone :) Let me know.

Sweet! At least let me pay shipping. I'll PM ya my info. As I said, if you have plenty, I'll take 4.
Randy

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2010, 10:37:53 PM »
78ta, nada.  I'm running a special right now, free shipping, free rivnuts, until they are gone :) Let me know.

Just have to say that's really nice of you  ;D
Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am
1986 Corvette

Offline y88rick

• Lifetime Member
  • f bodies suck. Don't buy one lol
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2010, 09:22:53 PM »
no doubt i know i will need some for my 71.
Too many birds, not enough food.

Offline RainMan

• Lifetime Member
  • Rick
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2010, 12:20:01 PM »
Yes if I could  have bought an electric riv nut tool in quick order I would have gone that route . But I managed to get the bolt out by turning it sideways and spinning it out with a ratchet . And as said I got it tack welded so it didn't spin . I can always grind the weld and do a riv nut someday

btw That looks good Limey

Offline 72blackbird

• Adv. Member
  • Old Birds don't die-they get faster, corner harder
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2010, 04:39:18 PM »
There's so much force applied to the front sway bar mounts that when my bolts got loose I ended up cutting holes to have  nuts welded inside the subframe- I would have loved to have used something easy like those rivnuts.

Geno

Offline Mongo

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
  • THREES A CHARM
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2010, 01:18:45 PM »
PM SENT
"What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law."