Author Topic: help with steering box rebuiild  (Read 1871 times)

Offline 172D

help with steering box rebuiild
« on: September 14, 2014, 06:44:58 PM »
Inspired by several very good articles and videos on the web, I decided to do a complete rebuild of my steering box rather than simply replace a few leaky seals.   Everything went fine until it came tome to install the rack piston.  I cannot get the Teflon seal into the bore.  There are compressors available, however they are very pricey for  one time use.  They come in various sizes and I don't know which  one is correct for this box anyway.   The articles and videos seem to accomplish this with out a compressor.  I tried a piston ring compressor with no luck.

If anyone has experience or suggestions I sure could use them so I can button up this project.  Many thanks!

Offline JupiterBandit

Re: help with steering box rebuiild
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 11:01:12 PM »
Sorry I am no help on the matter. Parts stores will let you borrow their tools. And if necessary maybe you can buy it and then return it. I know that's a policy for Pep Boys, Advance Auto Parts, Discount Auto, and Auto Zone. Maybe they have one you can borrow or they can order for you.

Good luck!

Offline Angelo

• Mods and Rods
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 10:03:09 AM »
Attention to detail with those boxes. I got a reman "Lares" brand that was not reassembled right, I took it to a local rebuilder and they found a smorgasbord of issues all because some parts were not properly seated. It had more slop than the box I was replacing until they rebuilt it. I don't know exactly what they did but when I got it back it literally was tight and responsive like any new car.
81' (78 clone), House of Kolor Jet Set Black, Pontiac 400 built by DCI Motorsports, FiTech EFI, Tremec 6 speed, 3.73 rear, YearOne 17" snowflake, Pro Touring F-body GT shocks/springs, hydroboost, factory 4 disc, Ram Air Resto + Thrust transverse exhaust.

Offline 172D

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 09:34:37 PM »
Had an idea and Problem solved!!!  Using an outside mic. and a bore gauge I determined there is 0.0048 wall clearance.   Figured a 0.002 shim stock would fit between piston and bore.   Just started the piston and then fed the shim stock around the piston and into the bore.  The worm gear grabbed the piston and the shim compressed the Teflon ring.  Right in... no hang up.  Easy finishing up from there.

Side note:  ordered the shim stock from MSC 10 minutes before 8:00 PM and had it next day with no extra charge for next day.