Author Topic: Wiring harness removal  (Read 820 times)

Offline VA78TA

Wiring harness removal
« on: May 29, 2009, 03:10:03 PM »
 I have taken everything off my firewall and inside everything has been removed, but I can't seem to figure out how to disconnect the outside harness from the firewall. I' m afraid I'm going to break something if I keep pulling on it. My car is a 78 TA
 Thanks for any info.
 Roger

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
Re: Wiring harness removal
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 03:13:15 PM »
there is an 8mm ( i think) bolt running right through the middle of the connectors to hold it together, did you remove that one ?
Eroc
Fixing the car that Restore A Muscle Car jacked up....

Offline rkellerjr

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 04:17:00 PM »
Yep, you get at it through the engine bay, it's in the middle of that big black box like plug underneath the brake booster.  It holds the engine harness to the dash harness. Once you unscrew that the engine harness will unplug from the dash harness and you can remove it.  The dash harness will also have four screws, usually in each corner, that hold it to the firewall (inside the cabin, not the engine bay).  Unscrew those and it will come off the firewall.
Rich

Offline VA78TA

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 06:21:30 PM »
Thanks, mine has some kind of sticky gunk (almost like windshield sealant) stuck all around the wires so I couldn't see the center bolt.  I really appreciate the help guys.
 Roger