Author Topic: 77 W72 trans am Restoration ( roof swap )  (Read 217795 times)

Offline 4SPEED

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
  • NFTAC & POCI Member
Re: 77 W72 trans am Restoration ( roof swap )
« Reply #180 on: December 24, 2009, 09:49:47 PM »
It's time to start thinking about the motor and (trans)
what do you think?  stay with the th350 or put a th400 in it.  I really wouldn't mind getting rid of the passing kick down cable on the 350. thought about a manual valve body kit , but the 400 is much stronger but takes hp away from the motor. and using an 1800 to 2000 stall. the motor will not be a big cam . just a little over stock. (RV) performer intake and cam. domed pistons to up the completion.  mostly stock with a little butt behind it. with headers, 2.5 full duel X-pipe exhaust (Pypes) . stock 15x7 with stock 225-70-15. bfg's  or the 17x9's. not sure yet on the wheels.
77 W72 TransAM  (SOLD)
79 TransAM 4SPEED

Offline 4SPEED

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
  • NFTAC & POCI Member
« Reply #181 on: December 25, 2009, 12:05:08 AM »
 :)
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 10:29:25 PM by 4SPEED »
77 W72 TransAM  (SOLD)
79 TransAM 4SPEED

Offline Mongo

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
  • THREES A CHARM
« Reply #182 on: December 25, 2009, 01:11:22 AM »
How important is the job part?

"What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law."

Offline LilSki

« Reply #183 on: December 25, 2009, 08:57:56 AM »
hahaha thats funny! I have the car, and job, but the jury is still out on the gentleman part lol.

Looks like a good time! I still got to get my butt over to my parents!
Kevin
79 Trans Am: (77 nose), WS6, M-21, 461, Hotchkis TVS, PTFB Contol arms. 
85 Trans Am: Vortec 350 w/LT1 cam/T56, TPI conversion w/Megasquirt II.

Offline 4SPEED

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
  • NFTAC & POCI Member
« Reply #184 on: December 25, 2009, 08:59:43 AM »
very important, he must have a job so I don't have to support the both of them. she's spoiled and lazzzzzzzy
77 W72 TransAM  (SOLD)
79 TransAM 4SPEED

Offline SnapOnBilly

« Reply #185 on: December 25, 2009, 09:19:00 AM »
It's time to start thinking about the motor and (trans)
what do you think?  stay with the th350 or put a th400 in it.  I really wouldn't mind getting rid of the passing kick down cable on the 350. thought about a manual valve body kit , but the 400 is much stronger but takes hp away from the motor. and using an 1800 to 2000 stall. the motor will not be a big cam . just a little over stock. (RV) performer intake and cam. domed pistons to up the completion.  mostly stock with a little butt behind it. with headers, 2.5 full duel X-pipe exhaust (Pypes) . stock 15x7 with stock 225-70-15. bfg's  or the 17x9's. not sure yet on the wheels.

Doug, check your PM's...
-Billy

Offline 4SPEED

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
  • NFTAC & POCI Member
« Reply #186 on: December 25, 2009, 09:36:10 AM »
SnapOnBilly

PM sent. what mufflers are in the kit. s/s pipe ? tips s/s?  let's make a deal, Monty
77 W72 TransAM  (SOLD)
79 TransAM 4SPEED

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #187 on: December 25, 2009, 01:31:45 PM »
On the T-Top swap.  If I remember correctly Brett said that one technique is to find the original spot welds and drill them out on both cars.  Then you can swap the roofs and not have too much trouble with getting everything square.  It certainly isn't something I would tackle.  It looks as though you got the situation well in hand.  It does help to have a shop with lots of room.  I'm stuck in a crummy garage.  

I think you're doing a fantastic job on this car.  I'm enjoying seeing the progress.  If I did some of the things you are doing in California....the liberals would have me thrown in jail.  We have some really tough environmental regulations here.  That's why I'm going to drive my Y88 to Ohio for paint.

Keep up the progress!!!!

Edit:
The part about your daughter, while I don't have a son...if I did, I'd need proof that your daughter had a T/A before I'd let my son date her!!!!

I have one daughter with a 77 T/A...the other one isn't interested in these cars.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2009, 01:35:19 PM by ta78w72 »

Offline y88rick

• Lifetime Member
  • f bodies suck. Don't buy one lol
« Reply #188 on: December 25, 2009, 06:20:17 PM »
doug did you order from ames? I noticed your parts on their book. i too need new bird center cap emblems.
just let me know what i owe you on the parts my friend.

as for your daughter, I have 2 t/a's a job and a gentleman but im already stuck being married and almost old as well. and i need equal income so i dont pass the test. lol.

merry christmas as well doug. to you and your family i hope it was a good one.
Too many birds, not enough food.

Offline 4SPEED

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
  • NFTAC & POCI Member
« Reply #189 on: December 26, 2009, 12:16:42 AM »
On the T-Top swap.  If I remember correctly Brett said that one technique is to find the original spot welds and drill them out on both cars.  Then you can swap the roofs and not have too much trouble with getting everything square.  It certainly isn't something I would tackle.  It looks as though you got the situation well in hand.  It does help to have a shop with lots of room.  I'm stuck in a crummy garage. 

I think you're doing a fantastic job on this car.  I'm enjoying seeing the progress.  If I did some of the things you are doing in California....the liberals would have me thrown in jail.  We have some really tough environmental regulations here.  That's why I'm going to drive my Y88 to Ohio for paint.

Keep up the progress!!!!

Edit:
The part about your daughter, while I don't have a son...if I did, I'd need proof that your daughter had a T/A before I'd let my son date her!!!!

I have one daughter with a 77 T/A...the other one isn't interested in these cars.

I was going to drill out the spot welds. but there was 3 mig tacks about 1/2" long on each side. probably from the guys that put the roof on and sent it down the line to be spot welded. so I cut it off to get it out of the way. and cleaned the sail panel up. if you were going to save the roof then yes take the time to remove it.

my daughter , well she's a ricer. no t/a .

ya out there in  California , I am surprised they let you use rattle can paint, with out a permit. I couldn't live there.
77 W72 TransAM  (SOLD)
79 TransAM 4SPEED

Offline 4SPEED

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
  • NFTAC & POCI Member
« Reply #190 on: December 26, 2009, 09:54:20 AM »
check this out and let me no what you think.

http://www.78ta.com/smf/index.php?topic=20605.0
77 W72 TransAM  (SOLD)
79 TransAM 4SPEED

Offline 4SPEED

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
  • NFTAC & POCI Member
« Reply #191 on: December 27, 2009, 03:50:25 AM »
I went to an auction a few week ago. ( old retired GM worker) or GM car dealer, there was tons of GM & Delco stuff there. I got some cool stuff. but in one box, I found some weather-stripping for t-tops. later found out with the help of 79WS6Resto  Jeff. they are for 2nd design Hurst hatches . I guess hard to find and no one makes them.  mine is the 1st design and mine are fine on the tops. so back in the box with the rest of them and to be stored away for another car. if I do another one.
just though I would share my find with ya.  :)

77 W72 TransAM  (SOLD)
79 TransAM 4SPEED

Offline y88rick

• Lifetime Member
  • f bodies suck. Don't buy one lol
« Reply #192 on: December 27, 2009, 10:51:00 AM »
nice. willing to sell them as my car had 2nd gen tops and i swapped them out only to find out that i will need to fab my roof and chance paint damaging it if i do so.
Too many birds, not enough food.

Offline RainMan

• Lifetime Member
  • Rick
« Reply #193 on: December 27, 2009, 11:28:27 AM »
Hey Doug ,nice work on the roof swap ,you have some skills there  .
Not to start anything ,but  I was wondering if you could have replaced the metal where the sunroof was  ,and then installed the Hurst roofs? Being that the Hurst T roofs were installed after the car left the factory ,I thought they could be put in at any time .
Or was it because the sunroof was already cut in that you decided to do an entire swap?
If there was any question about structural integrety ,could an extra  piece of metal be welded on the inside of the pillar ,or is there no extra  room when the interior pieces are clipped in?

Please don't take this as criticism Doug ,I haven't read the whole thread and was more curiuos than anything  
« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 11:31:02 AM by RainMan »

Offline 4SPEED

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
  • NFTAC & POCI Member
« Reply #194 on: December 27, 2009, 03:42:57 PM »
Hey Doug ,nice work on the roof swap ,you have some skills there  .
Not to start anything ,but  I was wondering if you could have replaced the metal where the sunroof was  ,and then installed the Hurst roofs? Being that the Hurst T roofs were installed after the car left the factory ,I thought they could be put in at any time .
Or was it because the sunroof was already cut in that you decided to do an entire swap?
If there was any question about structural integrety ,could an extra  piece of metal be welded on the inside of the pillar ,or is there no extra  room when the interior pieces are clipped in?

Please don't take this as criticism Doug ,I haven't read the whole thread and was more curiuos than anything 

no the roof was way to flimsy from the sunroof hole. I took 2 days to weld the patch in and it still warped real bad.
77 W72 TransAM  (SOLD)
79 TransAM 4SPEED