Author Topic: Need Help with 73 Steering Column switch,wont turn on.  (Read 798 times)

Offline Hitman Jr

Need Help with 73 Steering Column switch,wont turn on.
« on: March 03, 2014, 03:03:15 PM »
Hey guys I have recently replaced the turn signal switch on my 73 Pontiac firebird with one from autozone part SW327.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/_/N-9cinv?itemIdentifier=68394_0_0_

My car did not come with the titlt column.I replaced some fuses in the panel that were missing.I went to turn the key to run and all I get is power to the water and volt gauge.Battery is hooked up,headlights work with or without the key and turn signals only work with the ignition ON.Is there something I missed? When I put the key in to IGN there is no buzz if it came with one and the nothing happens it doesn't even turn over>When I turn the key from ON to IGN only the needles on volts go down.Battery is good.  here are some pics

In this pic you can see that this green wire is cut and coming from the same spot where the 3 light green,light blue and light pink are coming from.Is that supposed to go somewhere?

And this is the connecter I bought.

Offline purpleblue72

Re: Need Help with 73 Steering Column switch,wont turn on.
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 09:38:46 PM »
I don't know about all the pictures of the fuse box but it sounds to me like a faulty ignition switch which is located on the top of your steering column and has (or should have) a rod running from your ignition tumbler to the switch to make it work. The vehicle not turning over is usually initially related to the switch allowing the power to go to the starter and distributor .